BCAA/creatine when not training to preserve muscle

martink

Awards
would there be any sense in this? just an idea i had.

i'm going to be travelling for a couple of weeks soon, meaning i wont be able to lift and diet will go out of the window. i tend to lose weight when doing this, so i dont know if its fat/muscle or just glycogen that is going.

usually i would just try and keep protein topped up slightly, although i cant manage to keep it at normal levels. would a serving of purple wrath here and there help?

also any point keeping up creatine usage while not training for the same reasons?

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
would there be any sense in this? just an idea i had.

i'm going to be travelling for a couple of weeks soon, meaning i wont be able to lift and diet will go out of the window. i tend to lose weight when doing this, so i dont know if its fat/muscle or just glycogen that is going.

usually i would just try and keep protein topped up slightly, although i cant manage to keep it at normal levels. would a serving of purple wrath here and there help?

also any point keeping up creatine usage while not training for the same reasons?

I would think that if you're going to be overeating, muscle loss won't be an issue. If you're going to be undereating, then taking it wouldn't be a bad idea. I know that when I travel, I usually don't get in enough calories from day to day, so I would take extra BCAAs. Creatine, I'm not sure on, a maintenance dose may be helpful, and certainly won't hurt.

martink

Awards
i would under eat in terms of protein, but not in terms of total calories. i try to eat more while i am away if anything just to get the cals in, yet strangely lose weight.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think creatine is something you have to burn off, so if your not training, there probably won't be ay more room for creatine.

jim623

You should consider a cortisol blocker to prevent catobolism. If you're anything like me, traveling can be very stressful and cortisol can creep up and bite you in the arsh.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
lean xtreme is a good cortisol blocker and BCAAs will help fight catabolism. Also, more than creatine, protein. If you're going to be traveling such that you can take creatine with you (i.e. you aren't going camping or mountain climbing) then take some protein powder. A shake in the morning could go a long way.

jim623

lean xtreme is a good cortisol blocker and BCAAs will help fight catabolism. Also, more than creatine, protein. If you're going to be traveling such that you can take creatine with you (i.e. you aren't going camping or mountain climbing) then take some protein powder. A shake in the morning could go a long way.
Haha, I was gonna be nice and not mention brand names but you started it.
Lean FX is a x axcellent cortisol blocker.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Creatine can preserve muscle mass when sedentary. There's no reason to take BCAA's when not training, unless you don't eat.

If you're going away for a week or two, you can purposely overtrain the week or two before, double up on lots of big heavy lifts, and the vacation/travel will be recovery for you. You might come back stronger.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Creatine can preserve muscle mass when sedentary. There's no reason to take BCAA's when not training, unless you don't eat.

If you're going away for a week or two, you can purposely overtrain the week or two before, double up on lots of big heavy lifts, and the vacation/travel will be recovery for you. You might come back stronger.
If he is traveling, he is probably only having around 3 meals a day, so BCAAs would be helpful between meals to stop him from going catabolic.

martink

Awards
yeah, it would only be three meals. and three meals of whatever i'd get so potentially little protein.

i'll be doing a bit of trekking so wont be able to carry loads of tubs. maybe some protein bars and a bottle of BCAAs would do for those days. plus whey when i'm not walking...

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I think a bcaa product like Recoverpro absolutley helps preserves muscle mass. And for the cost/servings ratio, it's hard to beat.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think a bcaa product like Recoverpro absolutley helps preserves muscle mass. And for the cost/servings ratio, it's hard to beat.
amen brotha, nothing preserves muscle better than BCAAs, period

xink

Awards
  • Established
Why have to miss out on the gym?

If it's a family vacation or something similar, I can understand not wanting to eat into that time, however if it's for work I never use that as an excuse.

I travel a ton (I'm typing this on a train right now coming back from a prospect...) and whenever I'm on the road I always call around to hotels in the area and find out who has a solid relationship with local gyms - Townplace Suites and other (smaller) Marriott chains ALWAYS get me into a Balley's or a Gold's.

Best of luck!

X

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
if your traveling by plane. make single serving protein packs with ziploc bags and 1-2 scoops of protein. Whenever I go anywhere for longer trips I just make sure to stop and get some trail mix or some nuts to snack on between meals.

just get creative.

martink

Awards
Why have to miss out on the gym?

If it's a family vacation or something similar, I can understand not wanting to eat into that time, however if it's for work I never use that as an excuse.

I travel a ton (I'm typing this on a train right now coming back from a prospect...) and whenever I'm on the road I always call around to hotels in the area and find out who has a solid relationship with local gyms - Townplace Suites and other (smaller) Marriott chains ALWAYS get me into a Balley's or a Gold's.

Best of luck!

X
i'm travelling around peru for a couple of weeks, so getting to the gym wouldnt be practical. otherwise, i definately agree - i would always try and get to a gym where possible.

so it sounds like i could leave the creatine. i'm definately taking some protein bars. i could probably manage a extra tub of something - BCAA or just extra whey for most bang for buck...?

xink

Awards
  • Established
if your traveling by plane. make single serving protein packs with ziploc bags and 1-2 scoops of protein. Whenever I go anywhere for longer trips I just make sure to stop and get some trail mix or some nuts to snack on between meals.

just get creative.
I've done this and every time I go through security I cringe and just wait to get busted for bags of coke!

xink

Awards
  • Established
i'm travelling around peru for a couple of weeks, so getting to the gym wouldnt be practical. otherwise, i definately agree - i would always try and get to a gym where possible.
Nice - safe travels man!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've done this and every time I go through security I cringe and just wait to get busted for bags of coke!
lol ive done it with nutra BCAAs (pure white) and I actually got searched!! They took out my bag of BCAAs and my pills and they didnt even say anything

LOL

sublimejeh

sublimejeh

Awards
  • Established
Theres really never a BAD time to take bcaas... if you have the money they can be effective on a bulk, a cut or a recomp, in whatever size dose you want really