BCAA/creatine when not training to preserve muscle

  1. New Member
    martink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%

    BCAA/creatine when not training to preserve muscle


    would there be any sense in this? just an idea i had.

    i'm going to be travelling for a couple of weeks soon, meaning i wont be able to lift and diet will go out of the window. i tend to lose weight when doing this, so i dont know if its fat/muscle or just glycogen that is going.

    usually i would just try and keep protein topped up slightly, although i cant manage to keep it at normal levels. would a serving of purple wrath here and there help?

    also any point keeping up creatine usage while not training for the same reasons?

  2. New Member
    LT*'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    44
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    294
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by martink View Post
    would there be any sense in this? just an idea i had.

    i'm going to be travelling for a couple of weeks soon, meaning i wont be able to lift and diet will go out of the window. i tend to lose weight when doing this, so i dont know if its fat/muscle or just glycogen that is going.

    usually i would just try and keep protein topped up slightly, although i cant manage to keep it at normal levels. would a serving of purple wrath here and there help?

    also any point keeping up creatine usage while not training for the same reasons?

    I would think that if you're going to be overeating, muscle loss won't be an issue. If you're going to be undereating, then taking it wouldn't be a bad idea. I know that when I travel, I usually don't get in enough calories from day to day, so I would take extra BCAAs. Creatine, I'm not sure on, a maintenance dose may be helpful, and certainly won't hurt.
  3. New Member
    martink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%

    i would under eat in terms of protein, but not in terms of total calories. i try to eat more while i am away if anything just to get the cals in, yet strangely lose weight.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    kingdong's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,849
    Rep Power
    8206
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    0.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I think creatine is something you have to burn off, so if your not training, there probably won't be ay more room for creatine.
  5. jim623
    Guest
    jim623's Avatar

    You should consider a cortisol blocker to prevent catobolism. If you're anything like me, traveling can be very stressful and cortisol can creep up and bite you in the arsh.
  6. Senior Member
    CrazyChemist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    1547
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    lean xtreme is a good cortisol blocker and BCAAs will help fight catabolism. Also, more than creatine, protein. If you're going to be traveling such that you can take creatine with you (i.e. you aren't going camping or mountain climbing) then take some protein powder. A shake in the morning could go a long way.
  7. jim623
    Guest
    jim623's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChemist View Post
    lean xtreme is a good cortisol blocker and BCAAs will help fight catabolism. Also, more than creatine, protein. If you're going to be traveling such that you can take creatine with you (i.e. you aren't going camping or mountain climbing) then take some protein powder. A shake in the morning could go a long way.
    Haha, I was gonna be nice and not mention brand names but you started it.
    Lean FX is a x axcellent cortisol blocker.
  8. Board Sponsor
    poison's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,904
    Rep Power
    37731
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    44.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Creatine can preserve muscle mass when sedentary. There's no reason to take BCAA's when not training, unless you don't eat.

    If you're going away for a week or two, you can purposely overtrain the week or two before, double up on lots of big heavy lifts, and the vacation/travel will be recovery for you. You might come back stronger.
  9. Professional Member
    warbird01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    612746
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    88.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Creatine can preserve muscle mass when sedentary. There's no reason to take BCAA's when not training, unless you don't eat.

    If you're going away for a week or two, you can purposely overtrain the week or two before, double up on lots of big heavy lifts, and the vacation/travel will be recovery for you. You might come back stronger.
    If he is traveling, he is probably only having around 3 meals a day, so BCAAs would be helpful between meals to stop him from going catabolic.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  10. New Member
    martink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%

    yeah, it would only be three meals. and three meals of whatever i'd get so potentially little protein.

    i'll be doing a bit of trekking so wont be able to carry loads of tubs. maybe some protein bars and a bottle of BCAAs would do for those days. plus whey when i'm not walking...
  11. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    dg806's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,346
    Rep Power
    1320
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    41.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I think a bcaa product like Recoverpro absolutley helps preserves muscle mass. And for the cost/servings ratio, it's hard to beat.
  12. Professional Member
    warbird01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    612746
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    88.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dg806 View Post
    I think a bcaa product like Recoverpro absolutley helps preserves muscle mass. And for the cost/servings ratio, it's hard to beat.
    amen brotha, nothing preserves muscle better than BCAAs, period
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  13. New Member
    xink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    201
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.89%

    Why have to miss out on the gym?

    If it's a family vacation or something similar, I can understand not wanting to eat into that time, however if it's for work I never use that as an excuse.

    I travel a ton (I'm typing this on a train right now coming back from a prospect...) and whenever I'm on the road I always call around to hotels in the area and find out who has a solid relationship with local gyms - Townplace Suites and other (smaller) Marriott chains ALWAYS get me into a Balley's or a Gold's.

    Best of luck!

    X
  14. Senior Member
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    83752
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    57.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    if your traveling by plane. make single serving protein packs with ziploc bags and 1-2 scoops of protein. Whenever I go anywhere for longer trips I just make sure to stop and get some trail mix or some nuts to snack on between meals.

    just get creative.
  15. New Member
    martink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    96
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by xink View Post
    Why have to miss out on the gym?

    If it's a family vacation or something similar, I can understand not wanting to eat into that time, however if it's for work I never use that as an excuse.

    I travel a ton (I'm typing this on a train right now coming back from a prospect...) and whenever I'm on the road I always call around to hotels in the area and find out who has a solid relationship with local gyms - Townplace Suites and other (smaller) Marriott chains ALWAYS get me into a Balley's or a Gold's.

    Best of luck!

    X
    i'm travelling around peru for a couple of weeks, so getting to the gym wouldnt be practical. otherwise, i definately agree - i would always try and get to a gym where possible.

    so it sounds like i could leave the creatine. i'm definately taking some protein bars. i could probably manage a extra tub of something - BCAA or just extra whey for most bang for buck...?
  16. New Member
    xink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    201
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.89%

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    if your traveling by plane. make single serving protein packs with ziploc bags and 1-2 scoops of protein. Whenever I go anywhere for longer trips I just make sure to stop and get some trail mix or some nuts to snack on between meals.

    just get creative.
    I've done this and every time I go through security I cringe and just wait to get busted for bags of coke!
  17. New Member
    xink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    201
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    18.89%

    Quote Originally Posted by martink View Post
    i'm travelling around peru for a couple of weeks, so getting to the gym wouldnt be practical. otherwise, i definately agree - i would always try and get to a gym where possible.
    Nice - safe travels man!
  18. Professional Member
    warbird01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  224 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,505
    Rep Power
    612746
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    88.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by xink View Post
    I've done this and every time I go through security I cringe and just wait to get busted for bags of coke!
    lol ive done it with nutra BCAAs (pure white) and I actually got searched!! They took out my bag of BCAAs and my pills and they didnt even say anything

    LOL
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-GELS THE Prohormone alternative!
    anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html
  19. Senior Member
    sublimejeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    981
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    41.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Theres really never a BAD time to take bcaas... if you have the money they can be effective on a bulk, a cut or a recomp, in whatever size dose you want really
    Get your FREE RIPPED GUIDE

    www.newstarathletics.com/rippedfree
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. nest supplements to preserve muscle and cut fat.....
    By massolic in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM
  2. Best fat burning supplement to preserve muscle
    By jdhil90 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
  3. Best PCT routine to preserve muscle
    By medicone in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
  4. Can't lift for weeks and want to preserve muscle
    By Pirate! in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in