Just started supplements ( Collegiate Cyclist)

partylwc

Awards
Ok,
I went 2 years without taking anything more then creatine. I over the course of two years; ate reasonably well, had sporatic sleep ( wasnt consistent), but i stayed pretty healthy.

Fast forward to today. I'm training like 10-15 hrs a week on my bike and im training realitively as hard as these other cyclists, but i'm eventually on long bike rides getting dropped. This angers me.

So i got some money and I give in. I look up some stuff and come across this buillsh!t site called sdi labs or something like that selling bullcrap stuff for high prices. I will admit; they almost got me, but i did more research and i come across *drumroll* Methyl-1d. I real a few reviews on it and compared to this sdi or w/e you call it crap it got decent reviews. So i buy a bottle and get a free bottle of this stuff called 1-gh-1 or something like that. Anyways it comes in the mail this morning, I pop 3 of both cause i have no work today. I just purchased a brand new old school trek 1987 steel frame bike today and decide to go out. . . WOW; man i never knew that supplements could help you this much. Now honestly I didnt go to much faster then normal; I mean, im sure i gained some time over the course of 2-3 hrs on my bike ( didnt keep track) But I felt stronger and it lasted all day. I also ate a subway sub, a few bowls of pasta, some banannas, drank some milk, took a vitamin pill, some creatine, and also stuffed down a hardes chicken sandwhich ( yeah they arent to good for you but im 24 wth). Lately i've been getting good sleep to.

So heres what im thinking. If this stuff that a lot of people on this board probably think is crap ( Methyl 1-d ) did this to me. I bet there is a whole other world of legal stuff out there that could improve my performance even more. But a few questions. First of all, anyone know a webpage which shows whats legal and not legal in the professional world of bicycle racing? Are any of these legal supplements actually banned in collegiate/professional sports? Hopefully not all of them! ( I dont want to imagine what its like to train again completely free of anything). Alright nuff said, i'm a fan.

Oh one more thing; i'm almost positive that Lance Armstrong had to use at the very least supplements to get where hes at. I saw some biking videos of him on youtube and after taking the supplements today I was able to attack a lot closer to where he attacked at. Before my attacks where very weak. ( if you have any knowledge of bicycle racing you will understand that, but an attack is basically where you up the tempo, lance in his younger days was able to attack with incredible power and accleration, noone to this day attacks like him ).

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
Methyl 1-D is a PH and is against NCAA regulations and Im sure that it is banned in pro cycling as well.

partylwc

Awards
so if this is banned, is there anything else i can take

To gain results that are equal, that may not be banned? Actually collegiate cycling doesn't drug test, or i've never been drug tested; so im not to worried about it. And when googling methyl 1-d professional cycling banned substance, I got no hits..

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
PH's are precursors to steroids.

Also, if you have never used any supplements besides creatine, why are you jumping on a cycle of a PH? Do you know how to cycle them and the proper PCT?

You should have came here before you started it without doing any research.

partylwc

Awards
I kind of understand the proper cycling technique

I kind of understand the proper cycling technique, i do not know what a pct is but i do know that when you come off of it you need to take something to replace what you had. I'm honestly not really sure why I started using a ph, besides the fact that I had some beliefs that other cyclists had to be on something...

I just checked the pro cycling banned list and they have almost every single thing i've ever heard of on there, kind of disappointed.. and by everything, I mean everything.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look into Millenium Sport Technologies supplement called Cordygen VO2 Ultra. It's not CERA but it's a damn good over the counter substitute to improve the oxygen uptake of the red blood cells.

partylwc

Awards
so i guess the question is this.. would it be possible for me to cycle methyl-1d and then quit a month before competition, keep training with this Cordygen VO2 Ultra, and use something else to booast my natural t-levls? so far i think cordygen VO2 ultra may be legal because uci lists beta 2 or beta 1 not both products as illegal and whichever is in cordygen is the legal one + all the other ingredients appeared legal. This so far is a life saver.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
I personally think you should do some research on pro-hormones and correct cycling method before just jumping into this... Just my .02

partylwc

Awards
I did do some reserach, I realize that prohoromones are 1 molecule away from being steroids. I do know that the pro horomone methyl-1d is dhea type? It also blocks your body from making estrogen. Or so i hear. One of the side effects is no bitch tits; which, I like that. I understand a healthy diet is incredibly important to. So tommorow when i wake up; im going to go buy some eggs, pasta, some fruits and vegetables. I take a multi-vitamin each morning. I guess; no matter what; i will not be able to take methyl-1d during road racing season ( IF i where tested, and im guessing if my school by chance won the road cycling championship ( which we where invited to proticipate at and by chance i was on the A team and tested, I could severally hurt my schools rep). The VO2 max stuff seems legit and it seems at present time completely legal, collegiately and professionally ( checked both banned lists and neither had it banned). I did see an article for a pro football player testing positive for test for certain compound in this? I cant link articles yet but it was on this board. i do know my bottle of methyl-1d says to take another product after cycling 4-6 weeks. So far i'm taking a rather low dosage to ( 3 tablets a day). I spent 2 days ( several hours each day doing some reserach on these. I guess i feel like I would like to at least try methyl-1d out. I know a lot of people who are into phs consider it weak; some went as far to say as it doesnt work at all,and its legal in the United States. But; im very glad I at least posted on this board because i was informed about the ultra vo2 product which may be a life saver next spring.

Thanks, any info would be appreciated, ill continue to reserach.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
OK my brother. I have cycled for three and half years competitively. You are going about this all the wrong way. To not get dropped on the long rides (what is long to you, it should be atleast 80+ miles) then you need to do one thing. Find the biggest hill you can handle, ride it at about 80% of your all of attack, and then repeat, repeat. repeat. repeat. It will suck but do hill repeats two or three times a week and I gurantee your legs will strengthen exponentially. One day a week do interval training where you sprint for 60 seconds then a recovery spin for 60, this should last 40 minutes to an hour (you will have to work up to it). Two days a week, just ride with no pressure, no worries about how fast/far, just go. One day a week do a recovery ride of about 15 to 20 miles and take it easy. The only way to keep up on those long days is to spend the time in the saddle and build a nice base. On the long rides be sure to eat every 15 minutes. Take a cliff bar or some Gu's or something.

As far as your PH supplements man you need to be taking a cycle assist and have a PCT ready to go. Why you haven't been flamed on this harder I don't know. If you don't believe us be ready for some backne and bitchtits, not to mention a possibly messed up liver. I can promise you aren't ready for a PH. I cyclist does not need mass. There is always the trade off between whether the added muscle weight will translate to effective power and endurance. There is a breaking point where excess muscle will harm you. The heaviest rider on the TdF was 178lbs. Since college I have gotten away from cycling competitively and began lifting for size for a new challenge. I was 190 when I rode and was still to heavy to ever get to the next level, my frame is just to big. Now I cycle for fun and relaxation, but the point is you need endurance oriented supplements. Not PH's you know nothing about.

Most recommend you do NOT take PH until you have been training effectively for one year and have you diet in check. Your diet is NOT in check. Clean that up and get on a real training program and you will be surprised.

If you take anything at all, take BCAA's.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
One last thing, if you really want to be competitve, start saving man and get yourself a carbon fiber bike. When I went from aluminum to carbon fiber, you would not believe the difference. I picked up my Bianchi CF which is around 17lbs complete and only paid around 2k for it. You can't go wrong with Specialized, Bianchi, Ridley, Fuji, or Trek (Trek is way overpriced, but a great bike).

partylwc

Awards
alright; ill take your word and jusst drop them for now

Ill order a pct and a cycling assist before i mess with this stuff.. i only took 1 days worth so far. I did order some vo2 max stuff last nite and hopefully that will help me out; Just so you know; i live in the mountains so i climb mountains all the time; the guys on my university cyclnig team that im trying to keep up with are A team riders on possibly a top 3 cycling collegiate team. My aluminum bike weights all of 18 lbs so going down to a carbon fiber which is 1 lb lighter is not really what im looking into. I also have a steel frame bike i train on. A long ride for me is about 80 miles. I train 40-50 about every day, and on some days ill ride 20-30 as fast as possible. It just depends.

partylwc

Awards
OK my brother. I have cycled for three and half years competitively. You are going about this all the wrong way. To not get dropped on the long rides (what is long to you, it should be atleast 80+ miles) then you need to do one thing. Find the biggest hill you can handle, ride it at about 80% of your all of attack, and then repeat, repeat. repeat. repeat. It will suck but do hill repeats two or three times a week and I gurantee your legs will strengthen exponentially. One day a week do interval training where you sprint for 60 seconds then a recovery spin for 60, this should last 40 minutes to an hour (you will have to work up to it). Two days a week, just ride with no pressure, no worries about how fast/far, just go. One day a week do a recovery ride of about 15 to 20 miles and take it easy. The only way to keep up on those long days is to spend the time in the saddle and build a nice base. On the long rides be sure to eat every 15 minutes. Take a cliff bar or some Gu's or something.

As far as your PH supplements man you need to be taking a cycle assist and have a PCT ready to go. Why you haven't been flamed on this harder I don't know. If you don't believe us be ready for some backne and bitchtits, not to mention a possibly messed up liver. I can promise you aren't ready for a PH. I cyclist does not need mass. There is always the trade off between whether the added muscle weight will translate to effective power and endurance. There is a breaking point where excess muscle will harm you. The heaviest rider on the TdF was 178lbs. Since college I have gotten away from cycling competitively and began lifting for size for a new challenge. I was 190 when I rode and was still to heavy to ever get to the next level, my frame is just to big. Now I cycle for fun and relaxation, but the point is you need endurance oriented supplements. Not PH's you know nothing about.

Most recommend you do NOT take PH until you have been training effectively for one year and have you diet in check. Your diet is NOT in check. Clean that up and get on a real training program and you will be surprised.

If you take anything at all, take BCAA's.
But just so you know; there was a cyclist in laslt years tour; pretty famous guy who weighted near 200 lbs; i forget his name. Huge man. I think indurain was like 180 lbs or so and he won the tour a few times. I weigh around 170 lbs and my specialitys are TT and sprint.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Cavendish was the heaviest man, at nearly 180 and won 6 stages, which is misleading because he is a Sprinter, but regardless, that is usually around weight limit. I watched every stage of this years tour and there wasn't anyone near that weight this year. I watched last years and don't recall it either. I know Garmin has a rider that began his professional career at 210 domestically and now weighs 165. All I am saying is that is it not uncommon for PH's to add as much as 20lbs. You don't need a PH for cycling because it is not a weight resistance exercise. Plus if your diet is in check you can get really screwed up. The reason you get bitch tits is that a PH raises your testosterone and block estrogen. When you quit taking the PH your test drops off and your estrogen spikes to catch up...creating some big ol moobs.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
There is a reason pro cyclists blood dope vs. roid.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Where the carbon will help you vs aluminum is in the forgiveness in road vibration over long rides, the stiffness and responsiveness in climbs, and the shaved frame lines adds for aerodynamics. What components are you using?

jdent

Awards
I also bike and weight train. Its a tough tradeoff. You try to maintain your size but on the bike the mass slows you down. Creatine certainly can be beneficial, as far as keeping strength and size, but without adequate hydration will lead to cramping on the longer rides.

I also have a carbon fiber bike (Specialized Tarmac Pro) and will never go back to aluminum.

partylwc

Awards
I have a cannondale around 2000 model aluminum bike 17-18 lbs, and a steel frame trek 1986 i use for training. Magnus Backstedt, was a guy a few years ago who did race at 200 lbs( I think he dropped out of the tour last year at around stage 7 or 8 due to lactate levels). Just so you know cavendish is around 150lbs according to wikipedia; i've followed him for a while; and yes he is a sprinter. The other sprinter who got in trouble with cocaine is around 180lbs but hes also 6 foot 3 inches tall( Tom bonnen). Indurain was 170-185 in his racing days and was a tour champion for years. I'm actually a sprinter/TT build myself. 6 Feet 165-170 lbs. But honestly man, I wasnt going to use the methyl 1-d for muscle gain or str gain, I wanted to see if the extra T helped with recovery, and honestly after just the one dose I think it does. Even if this is considered a weak PH for some; its my first PH ever. Its probably equivalent to a young person drinking their first beer. I know it had effect on me; i could honest to god feel it. I wooke up this morning refreshed after riding hard yesterday. I also have tendenitis in my knee i've been trying to recover from; and i woke up this morning and for the first time in a few weeks it wasn't killing me. Now I dont know what helped this; but I had a very positive experience from just one dose. The bitch Tits is probably my greatest concern. So if I do decide to take these I'll make sure to get a PCT when i come off the cycle. I read on some forums that I didn't need to cycle anything with these for the liver; and taking a lower dose it even more then reasurred me.

Funny little thing about methyl 1-d i heard is that it doesn't have methyl 1-d in it ( whatever methyl 1-d is) And it has something that is supposedly close to DHEA. DHEA is banned by professional cycling, but i wonder if this something that is close to it is? I think they ban people for Testosterome products by seeing a spike in the TEST or the product showing up in the test. But if the product didnt show up in the test and you cycled this product in a tour ( use it the whole tour) and never saw a spike because you where using it the whole time... this is if it had positive effects on cyclists. I doubt many have tried.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
go for it man, just be careful. I Mark Cavendish last tour was 178. Boom.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why don't you just look for a natty test booster since that is obviously what you want. BioForge comes to mind, no DHEA in that, and I believe that some of the Get Deisel products don't have DHEA in them (DTHC and DTP do though and they are the strongest). I don't know anything about bike training but I swam competitively for a long time and I can tell you if I knew about BCAAs, the benefits of citrulline malate and beta alanine on endurance and reduction of lactic acid build up I would have been a much better swimmer! Something else for your long rides, pick up some DominATP by USPowders at nutraplanet.com; use some for pre/intra/post workout and that with a good bulk BCAA product added in should help you stay strong for longer.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
so i guess the question is this.. would it be possible for me to cycle methyl-1d and then quit a month before competition, keep training with this Cordygen VO2 Ultra, and use something else to booast my natural t-levls? so far i think cordygen VO2 ultra may be legal because uci lists beta 2 or beta 1 not both products as illegal and whichever is in cordygen is the legal one + all the other ingredients appeared legal. This so far is a life saver.
Everything in MST products is legal by all of the governing bodies of collegiate sports.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...Somehow i don't seem to respond to Cordygen (old version). I really wanted to love it.

Yesterday i ran out of Cordygen, and took 1 Prime before my bike ride. The ride seemed much more effortless, and i had a 'natural' urge to keep pushing myself and going faster.

I ride for 'leisure' and for some mild cardio. :)

When I take Prime, i sweat even more excessively (v bad!), but this did not happen yesterday, but it may be because of the cooler weather.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
that is literally the first time i've ever heard that. Sorry to hear it.
No biggie, even stuff like Aspirin does not have a 100% efficacy rate, hehe. I've taken enough supps to know better. :)

Anyway, I am not sure if it's my body, or maybe it was heat damaged by the delivery company. I am sure they leave their packages in their trucks, and I live in a tropical country (not in USA). :)

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
maybe it was heat damaged by the delivery company. I am sure they leave their packages in their trucks, and I live in a tropical country (not in USA). :)
ahh yes I guess that could have been an issue. Thats very unfortunate if thats the case, I surely hope you don't base your judgement on the cordygen line on what could have been a poor delivery miscalculation.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The reason you get bitch tits is that a PH raises your testosterone and block estrogen. When you quit taking the PH your test drops off and your estrogen spikes to catch up...
Yeah... no.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Would anabolic pump be a good supplement for a cyclist ?

ChrisCYWG

Awards
Ive been racing 20 years.. there are very few off the counter supps that actually do ANYTHING for a cyclist... we are a special breed so to say... you don't want bulk unless you are a trackie.. you want long lean muscle... as for you getting dropped.. train 2X20 min intervals , get yourself a power meter,its the best investment you can do. Creatine and endurance do NOTHING.. the only place creatine is going to help you in cycling is in short explosive effort like on the track.
As for a supp that actually works, try KOna Endurance Pro and CitraBeta shot.. its one of the few supps Ive used that actually works.. look into the recovery drink as well.. lots of electrolytes, glutamine, and protein to aid in recovery. Or look into the first endurance line of supps.

Stay away from the Methyl crap for cycling.. its going to do NOTHING for you..

phil216

Awards
  • Established
What about anabolic pump and it's effect on carb storage