Using R-ALA pre HIIT or Lifting - Cortisol Response

clr18287

Awards
I have been on the Anabolic Diet for 2 weeks past the 12 day induction phase. I've gained 9 pounds.. following the diet to a T with Fitday @ 18*BW. SO, I have been looking for ways to get into ketosis faster after my weekend carbup.

I bought some R-ALA for the purpose of glucose disposal. I've read quite a bit about it's effectiveness. I tested it out yesterday with a BG monitor. My average blood glucose is around 94.. after a meal it ranges from 108-130. With the R-ALA, my blood glucose was 83. It definitely works to the effect of glucose disposal.

My question is, if I take this pre-workout.. it should lower my blood sugar thus creating a fat burning environment... correct? What implications does this have on cortisol release? When blood sugar drops, isn't cortisol mobilized to shoot blood sugar higher?

Thanks for any and all of your input.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmm, interesting. I doubt it matters much, but interesting anyway.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When your blood-glucose gets too low, your body releases glusagon (a catabolic hormone). I would expect you to go hypoglycemic during these sessions.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anabolic pump before fasted cardio is very popular with a lot of advanced bodybuilders so I highly doubt its an issue as long as you do it moderate to low intensity.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like rodja said, you get the cortisol spike from hypoglycemia. You can help decrease the magnitude of it by taking in some Phosphatidyl Serine. Also 7-OH or B-Triol also keep cortisol systemically low.