Supplements Off Label Claim

ctAL

Awards
April 28, 2009

ConsumerLab has reported that they?ve found ?problems? with over 30 percent of vitamins they tested! The report found that around two thirds of multivitamin products tested at label claim:

?Significantly more or less ingredient than claimed? or were contaminated with lead. ?Among twenty-nine products for adults and children that ConsumerLab.com selected, tests showed that eight failed to meet their label claims or other quality standards and twelve others provided levels that may be too high for healthy individuals,? wrote the group, which aims to provide consumers with ?independent evaluations? of health and nutrition products.

Higher Than Label Claim

Some of the tested supplements were found to exceed tolerable upper limits for ingredients such as vitamin A, folic acid, niacin and zinc. Three of four children?s supplements tested were found to exceed tolerable intake levels for vitamin A, with one product providing 5,000 IU of vitamin A!

Brands In Question

The brands in question were: Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears, L?il Critters Groovy Gummy Vites, and Trader Darwin?s Children?s Chewable Vitamins. The Institute of Medicine recommends a daily allowance (RDA) of 1,300 IU for children aged four to eight and an Upper Tolerable Intake Level (UL) of 3,000 IU.

?Excess vitamin A in the retinol form is of concern as it may, in the short term, cause nausea and blurred vision, and, long-term, lead to bone softening and liver problems. ULs for niacin and zinc were also exceeded by some of the products for young children. Excess niacin may cause skin tingling and flushing and high levels of zinc can cause immune deficiency and anemia,? wrote ConsumerLab.

Multivitamins Hit

Two of three men?s multivitamin products tested were also found to be problematic.

* One brand (NOW Adam Superior Men?s Multi) contained 258.8 percent of its folic acid, delivering 2,070 mcg per day. The RDA for folic acid is 400 mcg per day and the upper tolerable level (UL) for folic acid is 1,000 mcg.
* Another men?s multivitamin (Opti-Men) contained 1.62 mcg of lead per daily serving. ?Although this amount is unlikely to be harmful in itself, lead exposure should be avoided. The State of California requires warning labels on supplements that provide more than 0.5 mcg of lead per day,? wrote ConsumerLab.

Failed Tests

* Other products tested were found to contain less of an ingredient than claimed on the label.
* One of the four women?s multivitamins tested (Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Women) provided 66 percent of its claimed folic acid;
* One of five seniors? multivitamins selected (All One Active Seniors) contained 44 percent of its vitamin A.
* In testing 3 prenatal vitamins, one was short on vitamin A (Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One).
* Multivitamins were also found to be low on ingredients, with one (Purity Products Perfect Multi) providing only half of its claimed folic acid content, and another (Natrol My Favorite Multiple) providing 70 percent of its calcium.
* Brands tested included: All One, Carlson, Centrum, CVS, Eniva, Equate (Wal-Mart), Flintstones, Garden of Life, Glaceau Vitamin Water, GNC, Halo Purely for Pets, Jamieson, Juice Plus, Kirkland (Costco), Life Extension, Li?l Critters Gummy Vites, Member?s Mark (Sam?s Club), Metagenics, Multi-betic, Natrol, Nature Made, Nature?s Bounty, Nature?s Plus, NOW, NSI (Vitacost), One-A-Day, Opti-Men, Pet Tabs, Pregnancy Plus, Propel, Pure Encapsulations, Puritan?s Pride, Purity Products, Rainbow Light, Rite Aid, Sobe Life Water, Solgar, Swanson, Target, Trader Darwin?s (Trader Joe?s), TwinLab, USANA, Vitamin World, Weil, and Yummi Bears (Hero Nutritionals), 21st Century Pet Nutrition.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I use now ADAM's Superior Mens Multi....wtf?

slackadjuster

Awards
I take GNC's. Is this as important with adults than with children. Or are you just making a point about honesty from the companies? Just wondering? Things that make you go HMMMM.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Anything is more important with children. As an adult we are usually more resistant and capable of repair, plus we are done growing, chemically speaking.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I'm always wondering about this especially when I'm recommending stuff to my mom.

Imnotascoolas

Awards
I take ADAM, but I usually only take 1-2 rather than the full dose so I guess I'm sorta ok...

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Did this report show the vitamins or supplements that DID test according to label claims? I am not really that concerned with anything that tested under......

I am sure there was plenty that was left out...

This is another example of how the supplement industry is spinning out of control...

One thing to note: The RDA for most minerals and vitamins are actually lowered so that we do not consume a high amount of each.

My concern is with one of those that showed almost 3x the amount recommended. I am sure that is either a false test or that company's standards seriously need revamping.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
has anyone gotten ahold of any of these companies and asked whats goin on?

Drod89

Awards
i take natures way alive without added iron. any bad reports on that??

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I take all in one green phyto formula.
Its supposed to be kosher so I am wondering as well.
Can you pm the link to the study?

ninoni

Awards
yeah im also interested in natures way alive i just ordered 6 packs of 90 vcaps and 2 packs of 180 alive pills , and it has 15000IU of Vit A is it dangerous ? also 125 mg of niacin ?

Vitamin A 15000IU 300% (33% [5,000 IU] as retinol palmitate & 67% [10,000 IU] as beta carotene) providing (typical analysis): beta carotene 5,625 mcg, gamma carotene 5.6 mcg, trans beta carotene 5.4 mcg, beta zea carotene 1.1 mcg

Niacin (as niacinamide) 125 mg 625%