More testosterone, less cortisol after training with phosphatidylserine

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Phosphatidylserine improves the body’s hormonal response to training. Men given a daily dose of 600 mg for ten days in a row produced more testosterone and less cortisol than men who didn’t take phosphatidylserine after fifteen minutes of exercise.

This was the conclusion that researchers at the University of Mississippi drew after performing an experiment with ten healthy men. The subjects had to cycle for fifteen minutes a couple of times, and also did five ‘sets’ of three minutes. Each ‘set’ started with a moderate level of effort – about 65 percent of the VO2max – and ended with 85 percent intensity. The researchers measured the concentrations of cortisol, testosterone, lactate and growth hormone in the subjects’ blood before and after the exercise. During one of the sessions the men took phosphatidylserine and during the other session a placebo.

Phosphatidylserine is found in the membranes of cells. When taken as a supplement it improves the receptors’ function and resistance to stress. Exactly how it works is not known, but small-scale human studies have shown that phosphatidylserine lowers cortisol concentrations after exercise and exposure to stress. That was the reasoning behind the research we’re talking about here. The researchers wanted to know whether they could improve hormonal response using a fairly simple supplement. After all, less cortisol and more testosterone means more progression.

The researchers were lucky, The supplement reduced the cortisol production.

Taking the supplement also increased testosterone production.

Sports scientists often use the ratio between cortisol and testosterone as an indicator of how easily the body builds up muscle. That’s why some sports scientists advise athletes to do power training early in the evening: testosterone levels may well be somewhat lower than earlier in the day, but cortisol levels are radically lower at this time of the day. The figures below show how the cortisol-testosterone ratio changed as a result of taking the supplement. The black bar represents the group that took phosphatidylserine.

The researchers found no effect on the concentration of lactate in the blood, and statistically speaking phosphatidylserine had no significant effect on the growth hormone levels. But looking at the curve you’d be forgiven for thinking differently. Oh well, you can’t have everything.

Phosphatidylserine is found in lecithin, but you’d have to take an awful lot of lecithin to reach the dose used by the researchers. One hundred grams of lecithin contains about fifteen milligrams of phospholipids, and only a small amount of these is made up of phosphatidylserine.

Source:

The University of Mississippi, 215 Turner, University, MS 38655, USA
Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, SA2 8PP, UK
Increnovo LLC, 2138 E Lafayette PL, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA

Corresponding author.
Michael A Starks: [email protected]; Stacy L Starks: [email protected]; Michael Kingsley: [email protected]; Martin Purpura: [email protected]; Ralf Jäger: [email protected]

jgasbo1

Awards
Thanks for sharring this. You got me interrested!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
belive me this supplement WORKS!!!!!!

brock17cf

Awards
Maxximal, how did you use PS, and what were your results?

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's it, it just works? Do you even use this stuff, or did you figure that you would copy/paste an article from Ergo and get some props for it?
I believe you have a hidden agenda.

belive me this supplement WORKS!!!!!!

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
That's it, it just works? Do you even use this stuff, or did you figure that you would copy/paste an article from Ergo and get some props for it?
get back to reality son, endoamp max works

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maxximal, how did you use PS, and what were your results?
I take one serving @ 9:00am with my protein shake (Syntha-6+Lean Dessert+L-Glutamine (powder) and Acetyl L-Carnitine (powder)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I NOT HAVE ANY HIDDEN AGENDA I ONLY SAY THE THRUTH

p.s. i put the info where i found.

boricuaz! on the set