5-HTP- the cure

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

5-HTP- the cure

For anybody out there that is a cranky ****er, has lots of anxiety, is depressed, overly stressed etc. etc. etc. you NEED to give 5-HTP a shot. I suffered from all of the above and now after taking 100mgs 4x per day for about 2 months I feel like a completely different person. I laugh again (hard), the small stuff doesn't piss me off, and I am overall a much more fun to be around. The stuff is pretty cheap (I bought the primaforce stuff from NP) and will remain a staple for me for the forseeable future. Any questions/comments/experiences lets hear them, I haven't really seen much info on this board about it, but it is the real deal and I want to spread the word.

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

brother...i thought i was the only one...most dont give it enough time to kick in, I came off it for a bit and in a month all my symptoms were back...now that you reminded me....Ill be reupping tomorrow!

cheers
  3. Senior Member
    Board Sponsor

I am defintely going to be looking into this!!!!!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.

I'm going to check this out. I think alot of my symptoms are related to sleep deprivation - I'm have insomnia - but maybe this will help with that too.
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    brother...i thought i was the only one...most dont give it enough time to kick in, I came off it for a bit and in a month all my symptoms were back...now that you reminded me....Ill be reupping tomorrow!

cheers
    Dead on, it takes about two weeks to get going. I ran out last month and was off for 2 weeks. Bad idea, within a few days I was cranky as ever.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChemist View Post
    I'm going to check this out. I think alot of my symptoms are related to sleep deprivation - I'm have insomnia - but maybe this will help with that too.
    One of its main uses is as a sleep aid its a main ingredient in most sleep supps. Taking 300-400mg before bed is what people generally use for sleep. I had/have insomnia (mainly anxiety related) too, this has helped, but I also take Reduction PM.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I have used 5-HTP or regular Tryptophan for mood improvement for a long time now. Definitely notice it when I run out.

It's the simple things in life...
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    For anybody out there that is a cranky ****er, has lots of anxiety, is depressed, overly stressed etc. etc. etc. you NEED to give 5-HTP a shot. I suffered from all of the above and now after taking 100mgs 4x per day for about 2 months I feel like a completely different person. I laugh again (hard), the small stuff doesn't piss me off, and I am overall a much more fun to be around. The stuff is pretty cheap (I bought the primaforce stuff from NP) and will remain a staple for me for the forseeable future. Any questions/comments/experiences lets hear them, I haven't really seen much info on this board about it, but it is the real deal and I want to spread the word.
    I'm curious, are you using a formula that includes vitamin B6? I've always heard that 5-htp is activated by B6 and that they should be used together, but I recently read the following extremely interesting piece:

"5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is one of the transitional chemicals formed when tryptophan is converted to serotonin. Tryptophan is an amino acid—a class of compounds that, strung together in chains, makes up proteins. But individual amino acids are sometimes used by the body to produce other types of compounds. Tryptophan is one such amino acid. It gets converted by the body into 5-HTP and eventually into a compound that the brain and nervous system use, called serotonin. The pathway in the body goes from tryptophan to 5-HTP to serotonin.

Serotonin is an important type of chemical known as a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters act as messengers between brain cells (neurons) and affect the way the brain functions. The chemical name for serotonin is 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT: don’t get confused with 5-HTP!). Serotonin, among other things, is a primary component in the sleep cycle. Various conditions or problems may upset the balance of serotonin in the body and result in conditions like depression, insomnia or anxiety. Restoring that balance can improve emotional well-being.

One source of 5-HTP is from the seeds of Griffonia simplicifolia. The seeds undergo an extraction process that results in the production of 5-HTP. Supplement companies (such as LifeLink) have this extraction done by a German pharmaceutical company that has been manufacturing 5-HTP for use in Europe for the past 30 years.

In the body, the 5-hydroxytryptophan is converted into serotonin, which the brain then uses. The conversion of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) to serotonin (5-HT) is facilitated by the presence of certain enzymes. One enzyme known as an aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase clips off a carboxyl group (notated chemically as COOH). And voila: serotonin.

This conversion to serotonin has to be done in the brain since serotonin does not readily cross the blood-brain barrier. There’s plenty of the decarboxylase enzyme in the brain so that’s not a problem. But there’s also a fair amount in the liver and gut—and that can be activated by taking vitamin B-6 (because the conversion process also uses the B6 dependent enzyme). There is heated controversy over whether 5-HTP users should avoid taking vitamin B-6, or multi’s with B-6 in them, at the same time as 5-HTP (Sandyk R. 1992). Prudence suggests waiting at least 2 hours between doses and not exceed 5 mg of B6 near the time of 5-HTP use."

*from: delano.com/ReferenceArticles/HTP-B6-Controversy.html

So I'm curious what formula you used considering the success you had. Let us know!
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Very interesting, none of the brands I have used have b-6 in them, but most of my vitamins/health supplements do. I might have to get some b6 to take with the 5htp to see how it works. Biggest thing for me has been making sure to take it regularly, I've read that it only hangs around your system for about 6 hours, so I try to take one every 4-5. does help with carb cravings, so if I can, 20 mins before meals too.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  224 lbs.

It looks like it is saying not to take B-6 because it will activate the enzymes in the liver and convert 5-htp to serotonin before it gets to the brain. The article says serotonin cant pass the blood brain barrier so you'd want it to remain 5-htp until it got in the brain; then convert to serotonin via the enzymes in the brain. Someone correct me if i am understanding this wrong.

-Soma
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by soma View Post
    It looks like it is saying not to take B-6 because it will activate the enzymes in the liver and convert 5-htp to serotonin before it gets to the brain. The article says serotonin cant pass the blood brain barrier so you'd want it to remain 5-htp until it got in the brain; then convert to serotonin via the enzymes in the brain. Someone correct me if i am understanding this wrong.

-Soma
    I would love anyone to chime in on this too as I just reupped my supply, but this time decided to add the B6
  12. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

yup works good for the above and if at the right dosage, can be used on a cut to curb appetite.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

can anyone else chime in on this and the b6
  14. Registered User

I have a bunch of L-tryptophan. So in order to get the best benefits for sleep/mood, I should switch to 5-HTP?
  15. Registered User

I did a search and read that 5 Htp should be taken with pyridoxal-5-phosphate.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I think I NEED this.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

I read that if taken in the presence of b vitamins, it can become seritonin in your bloodstream and cause health problems. So I guess the answer is that it does convert. I actually experienced a rapid heart beat and nothing in the way of a mood lift.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

I used 5-htp on and off a while back and it worked wonders. At the right dosage it will completely take away a panic attack. I seemed to develop tolerance to it however so I stopped taking it. It was great while it worked. I still have a couple caps left. Primaforce is a good brand to get. I may try it again.. thanks for the post. Tryptophan gave me energy and did nothing for anxiety and it costs too much to take enough to feel something. 5-htp is the way to go.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  19. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    I read that if taken in the presence of b vitamins, it can become seritonin in your bloodstream and cause health problems. So I guess the answer is that it does convert. I actually experienced a rapid heart beat and nothing in the way of a mood lift.
    it "converts" but that is your body's way of creating serotonin - breaking tryptophan into 5-htp then converting it. So if you are concerned then maybe raising tryptophan level is enough.

but look at this like a doctor/scientist. If you have those issues, and they go away while taking 5-htp then it most likely means that you previously had a serotonin deficiency either from a tryptophan deficiency or from a flaw in your system that processes tryptophan + 5-htp, and that taking it the rest of your life is a good idea anyhow
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
  21. Registered User

Look up "serotonin" and "fibrosis" on pubmed. Scary info about heart and liver tisue containing HT (serotonin) receptors that seem to cause fibrosis and other problems with the heart and apparently liver too when serotonin activated those receptors.

This worries me some when considering my supplememntation with Tryptophan and has held me back from jumping to 5-htp. Does anyone have clarifying info about this issue?
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  153 lbs.

just ordered ab0ottle.
  23. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by saludable24 View Post
    Look up "serotonin" and "fibrosis" on pubmed. Scary info about heart and liver tisue containing HT (serotonin) receptors that seem to cause fibrosis and other problems with the heart and apparently liver too when serotonin activated those receptors.

This worries me some when considering my supplememntation with Tryptophan and has held me back from jumping to 5-htp. Does anyone have clarifying info about this issue?
    Not sure about your question, but I always find queries like this slightly humorous. Not meaning to be condesending at all, just pointing out my opinion. The majority of us on this board dump bottles and bottles of artificial chemicals and hormones, that we know nothing about, into our bodies (ie, prohormones, fat burners, etc. etc.) without a second thought. Not because we don't research, but because with 'proprietary blends" its hard to tell exactly what is in something. But when it comes to more naturally occuring products like 5-htp, or fenugreek, and even soy people tend to pour over the minutia and become very concerned with highly unlikely outcomes. I'm not saying don't do your due dilligence when it comes to research before trying products, but sifting through every obscure study may be a little overkill.

Again, not trying to be a ****, start a fight or piss you off, just giving a brief editorial of my opinions on the matter. 5-htp has worked wonders for me and many many others, and in my research I never came across anything indicating fibrosis.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Tryptophan/5-HTP are not going to raise your seratonin levels to such extreme levels that seratonin-related illnesses are going to arise. If you are at normal serotonin levels, then either trypt or 5htp will then convert to melatonin.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

The stuff is pretty cheap (I bought the primaforce stuff from NP) and will remain a staple for me for the forseeable future.
    Does Primaforce sell @ retailers such as Vitamin Shoppe?

What are some other 5-HTP brands you folks trust? Back in the day, I used to take Solaray. This was back in the day, as I mentioned, when I used to think 'all brands were the same'.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

[QUOTE=nevergoodenough;2073703]Not sure about your question, but I always find queries like this slightly humorous. Not meaning to be condesending at all, just pointing out my opinion. The majority of us on this board dump bottles and bottles of artificial chemicals and hormones, that we know nothing about, into our bodies (ie, prohormones, fat burners, etc. etc.) without a second thought. Not because we don't research, but because with 'proprietary blends" its hard to tell exactly what is in something. But when it comes to more naturally occuring products like 5-htp, or fenugreek, and even soy people tend to pour over the minutia and become very concerned with highly unlikely outcomes. I'm not saying don't do your due dilligence when it comes to research before trying products, but sifting through every obscure study may be a little overkill.
    QUOTE]

Yeah.. I agree.. 5-HTP is a naturally occurring amino acid. A LOT of herbs out there are not naturally occuring in our body and we take it anyway because of the claims and research. But even with the research science can't identify everything that is in it. You hear all the time how science discovered a "new" compound in a plant or herb. Those compounds aren't new.. they were already there. Amino acids are a pretty safe bet. They make up our DNA. You just have to use some precautions. You don't wanna take this along with anxiety/sleep/depression meds. Usually with amino acids we know more what they do then some herb blend.

I just ordered a bottle of primaforce 5-htp. Best quality for price I have found.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

[quote=Flaw;2073802]
    Not sure about your question, but I always find queries like this slightly humorous. Not meaning to be condesending at all, just pointing out my opinion. The majority of us on this board dump bottles and bottles of artificial chemicals and hormones, that we know nothing about, into our bodies (ie, prohormones, fat burners, etc. etc.) without a second thought. Not because we don't research, but because with 'proprietary blends" its hard to tell exactly what is in something. But when it comes to more naturally occuring products like 5-htp, or fenugreek, and even soy people tend to pour over the minutia and become very concerned with highly unlikely outcomes. I'm not saying don't do your due dilligence when it comes to research before trying products, but sifting through every obscure study may be a little overkill.
    QUOTE]

Yeah.. I agree.. 5-HTP is a naturally occurring amino acid. A LOT of herbs out there are not naturally occuring in our body and we take it anyway because of the claims and research. But even with the research science can't identify everything that is in it. You hear all the time how science discovered a "new" compound in a plant or herb. Those compounds aren't new.. they were already there. Amino acids are a pretty safe bet. They make up our DNA. You just have to use some precautions. You don't wanna take this along with anxiety/sleep/depression meds. Usually with amino acids we know more what they do then some herb blend.

I just ordered a bottle of primaforce 5-htp. Best quality for price I have found.
    I think it needs to be mentioned that certain steroids are produced in our bodies, and if we take to much of them, we are ****ed.
  28. Registered User

Not to guide people down another path, but if you tend to get symptom resolution from 5HTP, and your symptoms are mainly psychological (ie anxiety or depression or "cranky" or whatever), there might be a place for an SSRI or some other RX. Maybe ask your doc.

Then again, not everyone wants "depression" as a diagnosis on their permanent medical record.

I didn't look for "serotonin" and "fibrosis", but I'm assuming they are case studies from patients with carcinoid tumors? If so, these people have an intestinal tumor that produces MASSIVE amounts of serotonin, causing symptoms like flushing, wheezing, diarrhea and edema...and eventually, the acronym "TIPS" describes their "heart fibrosis"...Tricuspid Insufficiency and Pulmonary Stenosis (tricusp valve regurgitation and pulmonary valve stenosis, both right sided heart issues). It only effects the right side of the heart b/c serotonin is converted quickly in the lungs and does not usually reach the left side of the heart in enough of a concentration to cause damage.
  29. Registered User

8g of fish oil per day worked better than 5HTP at improving my mood
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How To Cure A Hangover
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
  2. New Cure For Gyno???
    By neoborn in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 02:12 AM