Whats a good starting supplement

adoring

Awards
I am new to lifting and I want to take something thats going to help me lose pounds and help me with energy and recovery. I am doing mostly upper body right now every 3 days and 30 min cardio about 4 times a week , my diet is getting better but just want to know what to take to help without thowing my money away, any help would be great.

ws65

ws65

Awards
  • Established
If it were me, I would do full body workouts using the big compund movements with as little rest as you can stand between sets. Using the big movements uses more muscles to complete the movement, which will help burn more calories. You said you do mostly upper body...no, no, no...you really need to do squats as well.
Supplements aren't really going to help till you get your diet down pat; and you said your's is "getting better"...get it dialed in completely before you even think of sups. Eating 6 smaller meals a day will also boost your metabolism, which helps you burn more fat and gives you more energy.
Vets, step in here and correct me if I'm wrong and/or add to what I've suggested.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am new to lifting and I want to take something thats going to help me lose pounds and help me with energy and recovery. I am doing mostly upper body right now every 3 days and 30 min cardio about 4 times a week , my diet is getting better but just want to know what to take to help without thowing my money away, any help would be great.
You're NEW to lifting. You DON'T need any supplements aside from the staples (creatine, multivitamin, good fats, protein powder, BCAAs).

You want to "lose pounds"; as suggested, start adding in LEGS. Squats and deadlifts are the exercises that stimulate the greatest release of testosterone and Growth Hormone, which will aid in muscle gain and fat loss.

Get your DIET right if you want weight loss (and I would focus more on FAT loss, as opposed to simply wanting to lose weight), since that's predominantly what is going to determine it.

Read post #4 at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/122489-new-forum-need.html; this will tell you what you need to know about diet and training for fat loss (and yes, applies to males AND females).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
If it were me, I would do full body workouts using the big compund movements with as little rest as you can stand between sets. Using the big movements uses more muscles to complete the movement, which will help burn more calories. You said you do mostly upper body...no, no, no...you really need to do squats as well.
Supplements aren't really going to help till you get your diet down pat; and you said your's is "getting better"...get it dialed in completely before you even think of sups. Eating 6 smaller meals a day will also boost your metabolism, which helps you burn more fat and gives you more energy.
Vets, step in here and correct me if I'm wrong and/or add to what I've suggested.
I agree.

Being new you can get away with good workouts and good clean food.

Train.Eat.Grow.Repeat.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're NEW to lifting. You DON'T need any supplements aside from the staples (creatine, multivitamin, good fats, protein powder, BCAAs).

You want to "lose pounds"; as suggested, start adding in LEGS. Squats and deadlifts are the exercises that stimulate the greatest release of testosterone and Growth Hormone, which will aid in muscle gain and fat loss.

Get your DIET right if you want weight loss (and I would focus more on FAT loss, as opposed to simply wanting to lose weight), since that's predominantly what is going to determine it.

Read post #4 at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/122489-new-forum-need.html; this will tell you what you need to know about diet and training for fat loss (and yes, applies to males AND females).

i agree, don't concentrate on what the scale says, if your lifting then your weight might not change much because of added muscle, concentrate more on fat loss than overall weight loss which comes with lifting, cardio, and diet and in my personal opinion just take a multivitamin and get a good protein before going crazy with supplements

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ill try to make this easy.
1. eat 6 meals a day which will give u close to ur body weight in protien. if one meal isnt getting u enough grams of protien drink a shake.
2. if u eat fast food avoid fries and sodas. apple pies etc. if i get fast food its one burger and ice cream. thats it.
3. eat all ur healthy meals b4 u eat any cheat foods. like if u want M&Ms tell urself ur eating ur 6 meals for the day and after that u will have them. usually ur so damn tired for lifting work and all that eating u wont eat em ;)
4. Lift Heavy always try to up the weights better to fall one or 2 reps short then hit the sameset of 8 week after week.
5. the harder and heavier u lift the more lee way sp? u can have with ur diet.
7. take a pre workout it will help get better workouts. and the accelrated heart rate from the caffeine helps moderatley with fat burning.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Whey Protein

Creatine Monohydrate

Multivitamin

That's it...don't worry about anything else till you've made some gains and hit a major plateu. There's a zillion supps out there, lots of them are garbage, not worth your hard-earned $$$. Stick to whey, creatine and a multi...it's all you need for now.

KmuL

KmuL

Awards
  • Established
Diet
Training

then consider a fatburner and maybe a BCAA recovery supp like RecoverPRO

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Very good stuff right here. You really don't need to start into supplements, other than the basics (and even those aren't necessities), until you've been training for 6 months or more.