Carbs with protein shake (during growth phase)

hl80

Awards
Until now I've only taken protein supps PWO with malto/dextrose at about a 3:1 carb-protein ratio, like 25g protein and 75g carbs.

Otherwise it's been in my diet. But the morning after a workout (I train nights) I think it's a good idea for a protein shake. Would carbs be good with it? If so, could I get any recommendations on the optimal amount and type of carb? It will be a scoop of All the Whey, 24g protein and 0 fat/carbs.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you getting a whole meal after that post-workout shake too? That's another critical opportunity for getting in necessary nutrition.

But, yes, CHO in your morning shake can be very beneficial. My preferences for morning carb choices are yogurt, berries, grapefruit and oatmeal or a similar whole grain. You can blend them into your shake or eat the separately.

hl80

Awards
Are you getting a whole meal after that post-workout shake too? That's another critical opportunity for getting in necessary nutrition.

But, yes, CHO in your morning shake can be very beneficial. My preferences for morning carb choices are yogurt, berries, grapefruit and oatmeal or a similar whole grain. You can blend them into your shake or eat the separately.
Yep! Eating's my favorite part. I normally do a pbjs--heavy on the peanut butter and light on the jelly, 100% whole wheat bread--1 hour after my PWO shake, then snack on high protein foods the rest of the night, with cottage cheese before bed. The next morning I continue to eat a pbjs every few hours, but since I'm trying to lose some fat, I'm thinking of replacing one with a protein shake + a few carbs. Yogurt sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Pirate!

Pirate!

Awards
  • Established
If you're aiming to lose some fat, drop the PBJs. Oats and whey is a great breakfast. You can just put raw oats in the shake and let it set for ten minutes and soften up.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Well honestly the best advice would require knowing your goals in terms of bulking and the time-frame for those goals as well as your diet, other meals, etc. When cutting, I mix my protein supp with water, take is 2x daily, and count each shake as a meal. When bulking, I mix my shake with a cup of milk, a banana, and some berries. Usually I have a meal with the shake too. Are you currently bulking with your diet as is? Do you feel like adding CHO to your morning shake will help you bulk more?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
well we can give u advice but honestly u know ur own body the best. i read alot of articles on tnation.com and the coaches always mention YOU know your own body the best. for me. Weight gainer shakes year around? not that good of an idea. if im not eating right around my body weight in protien i get some chub on my stomach. After workout a shake with milk and a garnola bar gives me close to 70 or 80 carbs and 50 grams or so protien. and start cutting carbs aftering getting a good amount in the two meals after workout.

now eating more then i need to im starting to gett more massive but the 6 pack is gone as well. i think u dont need to bulk and cut just eat clean and alot and keep working out once u start approaching 200 or so in weight bulking and cutting will be needed.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're aiming to lose some fat, drop the PBJs. Oats and whey is a great breakfast. You can just put raw oats in the shake and let it set for ten minutes and soften up.
. . .or soak them in water overnight :thumbsup:

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
well we can give u advice but honestly u know ur own body the best. i read alot of articles on tnation.com and the coaches always mention YOU know your own body the best. for me. Weight gainer shakes year around? not that good of an idea. if im not eating right around my body weight in protien i get some chub on my stomach. After workout a shake with milk and a garnola bar gives me close to 70 or 80 carbs and 50 grams or so protien. and start cutting carbs aftering getting a good amount in the two meals after workout.

now eating more then i need to im starting to gett more massive but the 6 pack is gone as well. i think u dont need to bulk and cut just eat clean and alot and keep working out once u start approaching 200 or so in weight bulking and cutting will be needed.
Right - all depends on body type. I'm a meso/endo so I increase calories with caution. I got a buddy who is a serious ecto. This kid can eat fast food 3 meals a day and he's still a stick so weight gainer shakes for him are a staple.

hl80

Awards
Thanks guys for all the tips. I'd like to cut about 5 lbs of fat, then put on 5 lbs of muscle--my sport (parkour) deals heavily with my own bodyweight, so I don't want to get very big. So my goal is loosely to cut, but I'd like to make optimal muscle gain if the potential is there to feed that, so after a good training I'll do a 25g/75g PWO shake, but otherwise I'm eating to cut (+protein, -carbs).

Doesn't protein work synergetically with carbs for optimal uptake? Since I'm using whey isolate now (0 carbs), would it be wise to add at least 3-4g carbs per 24g protein, never take protein alone?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for all the tips. I'd like to cut about 5 lbs of fat, then put on 5 lbs of muscle--my sport (parkour) deals heavily with my own bodyweight, so I don't want to get very big. So my goal is loosely to cut, but I'd like to make optimal muscle gain if the potential is there to feed that, so after a good training I'll do a 25g/75g PWO shake, but otherwise I'm eating to cut (+protein, -carbs).

Doesn't protein work synergetically with carbs for optimal uptake? Since I'm using whey isolate now (0 carbs), would it be wise to add at least 3-4g carbs per 24g protein, never take protein alone?
I take protein alone and still notice good effects. However, if you are interested in taking in a few carbs with your shake then maybe mix it with skim milk or splash a LITTLE orange juice (OJ has alot of carbs so watch them)!