Creatine and Keto Diets?

tripwired

Awards
Was just curious, I'm trying to follow a ckd diet. I know you are supposed to keep your carbs under 30g a day, I usually fill this with spinach or celery or something, but I also want to take creatine on my work out days. I have a container of SizeOn which has 31g of carbs (mostly sugar). My understanding is that the sugar used with creatine helps force the glucose into your muscles but i'm concerned this will mess with the diet as that much sugar can put you out of ketosis.

So is this just something that you have to deal with on the diet (no creatine) or does taking creatine with your work out cancel out it's sugar effect because that glucose is going to the muscles anyway?

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
There are creatine supplements with no sugar, I'm just not sure of which ones. I know Applied Nutriceuticals has one that also has a nutrient partitioner. But to answer your question, I am on a CKD diet and do not use creatine and NO, you do not want to take SizeOn. All that sugar will not let you enter ketosis.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
+1 to what tyler said...

nutraplanet sells creatine supplements in bulk, which have no additives.
sugar will shift you out of ketosis.

tripwired

Awards
but doesn't most creatine supps tell you to take it with juice or something with sugar in it?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You don't need sugar for creatine to be effective. I am drinking a glass of plain old water with 5g creatine monohydrate from NP as I type.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
but doesn't most creatine supps tell you to take it with juice or something with sugar in it?

If they do they are wrong. Sugar is not anabolic and it serves no purpose in pre or post w/o drinks if you ask me.

tripwired

Awards
Hmm just as an update, I took SizeOn yesterday with my workout. I took a keto test before workout and it put me in the 40mg range (moderate ketones). I didn't take a test after work out because i figured i would have burned off a lot of ketones but i woke up this morning and took another test and i was between the 5-20 range(light ketones).

I'm not sure what this means exactly. The size on may have pulled me out of keto for a little bit, but it didn't seem to effect me too bad.

I don't want to waste this tub of SizeOn but i am considering goign on a ethyl pill creatine(is that right?) so i don't have to worry about loading or sugar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 16
jonatan Weight Loss 25
Nolanaf67 Supplements 5
Supplements 1
Supplements 2