NARINGIN( grapefruit extract)

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Looks an unfamiliar word but it is appearing more and more in supplement formulations, Drive , RPM just 2 examples.

For those that dont know , it is an extract of grapefruit and according to Wikipedia can have the following effect
Naringin exerts a variety of pharmacological effects such as antioxidant activity, blood lipid lowering, anticancer activity, and inhibition of selected drug-metabolizing cytochrome P450 enzymes, including CYP3A4 and CYP1A2, which may result in drug-drug interactions in vivo.[1] Ingestion of naringin and related flavonoids can also affect the intestinal absorption of certain drugs, leading to either an increase or decrease in circulating drug levels. To avoid interference with drug absorption and metabolism, the consumption of citrus (esp. grapefruit) and other juices with medications is contraindicated. [2]

My questions are does it aid or hinder the absorbtion of the other ingredients?

If taking a designer or ph or AI would it again aid or hinder absorbtion even if not taken together?

Without detailed studies on various products as to which way naringin has an effect, how do we know.

One final thought , for those who are concerned about reducing estrogen , in his book "The testosterone syndrome " Dr Shippen advises against eating grapefruit because it inhibits "the P450 phase 1 system resulting in increased estrogen levels"

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
There are actually a lot of substances that inhibit these enzymes, like piperine/bioperine, quercetin etc. Although I'm not sure if they're actually inhibiting them or just having a very high binding affinity for these enzymes and "using them up" for a certain amount of time.

It can be a usefull thing for increasing bioavailability of substances like resveratrol but you also inhibit the metabolisation of potentially harmfull substances. I've read a study I cannot find right now about inhibiting these enzymes and decreased estrogen metabolism so I would be enclined to believe inhibiting these can have an effect on circulating estrogen levels.

You should be carefull what you eat around the timeframe your taking these kind of substances, this goes especially for medication.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
There are actually a lot of substances that inhibit these enzymes, like piperine/bioperine, quercetin etc. Although I'm not sure if they're actually inhibiting them or just having a very high binding affinity for these enzymes and "using them up" for a certain amount of time.

It can be a usefull thing for increasing bioavailability of substances like resveratrol but you also inhibit the metabolisation of potentially harmfull substances. I've read a study I cannot find right now about inhibiting these enzymes and decreased estrogen metabolism so I would be enclined to believe inhibiting these can have an effect on circulating estrogen levels.

You should be carefull what you eat around the timeframe your taking these kind of substances, this goes especially for medication.
thanks for your reply. it all came about because i was given free samples of drive and rpm and love them both, But when i read that grapefruit extract was in them , i started to question whether i should take them.

The reason in my case is that i am receiving testosterone replacement therapy and as we know it aromatises in part to estrogen, so I need to allow the liver to clear the estrogen rather than hold on to it.

As much as i liked drive and rpm -i think i should give it a miss

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
hi ive had a look at thishttp://www.cop.ufl.edu/fdic/consu.php?interaction_category=9