Beta-Alanine and the big D

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Beta-Alanine and the big D

So I started experimenting with this this past week...it has lead to nausea and the big D. Any way to counter this without giving it to my bro in law as a second human experiment?

2. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Hmm... how were you dosing it? Try spreading it out into 4 doses of 1g, but that's really uncommon symptoms. You sure you didnt add anything/change?

3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Hmm... how were you dosing it? Try spreading it out into 4 doses of 1g, but that's really uncommon symptoms. You sure you didnt add anything/change?
    Well I have been reading some articles the last little while that say its actually pretty common.http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/artic...-Firepower.pdf
    http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index...ticle&go2=1415 - 23k
    sweatscience.com/?p=100 - 19k
    www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/beta_alanine.htm - 38k
    Others too but just an example. Has no one else gotten this on here?!
    I usually take the scoop it came with @3.5 grams, once a day. I get the tinglys, a bit of nausea and the big D as sides,It sucks lol.

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I am not 100% sure what the 'Big D' is but taking small amounts over the course of the day "1 to 1.5g" two, three or four times per day was the suggestion in the interview article kindly provided by TheLastRonin.

If my beta-alanine ever turns up I might know a bit more. John Wise however is clearly into selling a product that he has a patent on.

5. Senior Member
    Answers

Ive read that beat alanine isn't necessary, but I've been using it for a few years off and on and never had the big D

6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by matthias7 View Post
    I am not 100% sure what the 'Big D' is but taking small amounts over the course of the day "1 to 1.5g" two, three or four times per day was the suggestion in the interview article kindly provided by TheLastRonin.

If my beta-alanine ever turns up I might know a bit more. John Wise however is clearly into selling a product that he has a patent on.
    I am unclear as to what the "Big D" is,also.Anyone care to enlighten me?

7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Extremely loose stool......explosive at times

8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Considering the language used on these boards, using the term diarrhea is not that bad at all and would have saved some confusion

9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

I suppose lol. I really don't want to put the picture in someones mind more than it needs to be though =). I figured people were familiar with the term. Anywho, one a side note I stopped taking BA and I feel a lot better with the pipe works getting back in order. I think I will just sell it to my bro in law dirt cheap and buy some CitMal to try instead.

10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    Ive read that beat alanine isn't necessary, but I've been using it for a few years off and on and never had the big D
    Necessary? No. But it does work. It's a great supplement right next to creatine in my book.

I have never experienced any issues except for the tingling in parts of the body. I was taking high doses around 2 to 3 a serving twice a day.

Everyone's bodies react different but maybe it is what you are mixing the beta-alanine with. And is it bulk beta-alanine?

11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    Necessary? No. But it does work. It's a great supplement right next to creatine in my book.

I have never experienced any issues except for the tingling in parts of the body. I was taking high doses around 2 to 3 a serving twice a day.

Everyone's bodies react different but maybe it is what you are mixing the beta-alanine with. And is it bulk beta-alanine?
    Yea its the PVL brand 300gram containers, and no its not what I am mixing it with(water). Its a pretty common thing to happen to people that take it. Its just not marketed as a side because its obviously not a selling feature. I get the tingles on tiny doses. Spreading out the doses didn't work either. It doesn't have remotely the same effect as Creatine on me. Creatine I never feel bloated,nauseated,loose stool...no sides ever..and I have taken it for over a decade on and off.I also feel the difference in a workout or at my job when I take Creatine almost immediately, whereas with BA I noticed no such improvement. Everyone is different, for me though this was a failed experiment that is not worth my money,time or well-being to repeat.

12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Yea its the PVL brand 300gram containers, and no its not what I am mixing it with(water). Its a pretty common thing to happen to people that take it. Its just not marketed as a side because its obviously not a selling feature. I get the tingles on tiny doses. Spreading out the doses didn't work either. It doesn't have remotely the same effect as Creatine on me. Creatine I never feel bloated,nauseated,loose stool...no sides ever..and I have taken it for over a decade on and off.I also feel the difference in a workout or at my job when I take Creatine almost immediately, whereas with BA I noticed no such improvement. Everyone is different, for me though this was a failed experiment that is not worth my money,time or well-being to repeat.
    It took me several days before the beta-alanine was working. My muscle endurance was awesome. Intraxcell by Athletic Edge. Awesome product.

You don't think a better mixer might help the big d issues? Some Juice?

13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

It took me several days before the beta-alanine was working. My muscle endurance was awesome. Intraxcell by Athletic Edge. Awesome product.

You don't think a better mixer might help the big d issues? Some Juice?
    hehe I tried juice, my protein shake, taking it solo and swallowing it and good ol water. With carbs, w/o , with a meal..same deal every damn time lol.

14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Extremely loose stool......explosive at times
    Have not had problems in that regard with beta-alanine,but anabolic pump was notorious for that.
    Beta-alanine is one of my staple supplements.I love the stuff.The tingles are slightly annoying,but nothing major.

15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    Have not had problems in that regard with beta-alanine,but anabolic pump was notorious for that.
    Beta-alanine is one of my staple supplements.I love the stuff.The tingles are slightly annoying,but nothing major.
    Yea I like the tingles..when I first tried it I was like WTF is happening to me am I allergic? I ran upstairs to Google it as fast as I could lol.

16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Talking

Yea I like the tingles..when I first tried it I was like WTF is happening to me am I allergic? I ran upstairs to Google it as fast as I could lol.
    That reminds me of a funny story a guy I worked with was telling one day.He was driving from Indiana to Oklahoma and was running out of steam.So he pulled over to a service station off the highway and purchased one of those energy drinks loaded with niacin.
    About 15 minutes later he got the niacin "flush".He freaked out so bad he almost wrecked several times before he could get off the highway.When he got off the highway he quickly grabbed the bottle and read the caution label.At that point,he figured out it was an ordinary reaction and that he was not going to die.
    Funny stuff.

17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    That reminds me of a funny story a guy I worked with was telling one day.He was driving from Indiana to Oklahoma and was running out of steam.So he pulled over to a service station off the highway and purchased one of those energy drinks loaded with niacin.
    About 15 minutes later he got the niacin "flush".He freaked out so bad he almost wrecked several times before he could get off the highway.When he got off the highway he quickly grabbed the bottle and read the caution label.At that point,he figured out it was an ordinary reaction and that he was not going to die.
    Funny stuff.
    haha thats awesome.

18. Senior Member
    Answers

Recently I've only been taking Beta-Alanine post WO, about 2-3g and feel fine

19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Well after not taking it for a couple of days I am back to normal. I might try again in a month with an ultra low dose. I do have two containers though and I will probably break open the second one to see if it was quality control or a fluke batch. I do feel a lot better physically in general not taking it though.That might be because of not losing so much fluid and electrolytes from so damn often.

20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Well after not taking it for a couple of days I am back to normal. I might try again in a month with an ultra low dose. I do have two containers though and I will probably break open the second one to see if it was quality control or a fluke batch. I do feel a lot better physically in general not taking it though.That might be because of not losing so much fluid and electrolytes from so damn often.
    Good to hear. If it gives you problems just move on to something else or try a product that has beta-alanine in it. Maybe Intrabolic.

21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Good to hear. If it gives you problems just move on to something else or try a product that has beta-alanine in it. Maybe Intrabolic.
    Yea I'll most likely try the one ruskies using in his log, later this summer.

22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I had the same exact sides from it. Stoped taking it and noticed absolutly no difference except I feel much better during workouts. I'll stick with CM, Cit. Malate, AAKG and BCAA's

23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I hate the headrush from benching when I take it. It seems like all the blood in my body just races into my head; luckily this only happens for the first week or so.

On another note, when does BA kick in for you guys? I've heard it can take up to six weeks for the carnitine to start accumulating and working for you, but I think it's around 3 weeks for me.

24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I hate the headrush from benching when I take it. It seems like all the blood in my body just races into my head; luckily this only happens for the first week or so.

On another note, when does BA kick in for you guys? I've heard it can take up to six weeks for the carnitine to start accumulating and working for you, but I think it's around 3 weeks for me.
    Took a little over a week. I was stacking Intrabolic and Intraxcell. Bost contain beta-alanine.

In the past I used Beta-Alanine Extremem by Problab that took a couple of weeks at least.

25. Senior Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    I had the same exact sides from it. Stoped taking it and noticed absolutly no difference except I feel much better during workouts. I'll stick with CM, Cit. Malate, AAKG and BCAA's
    Ive heard about AAKG...personally dont think its necessary

26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Answers

AAKG can supposedly help protein synthesis and creatine utilization, but people mostly buy it for the aesthetic effects, yes.

27. New Member
    Answers

Well I have been reading some articles the last little while that say its actually pretty common.http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/artic...-Firepower.pdf
    http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/index...ticle&go2=1415 - 23k
    sweatscience.com/?p=100 - 19k
    www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/beta_alanine.htm - 38k
    Others too but just an example. Has no one else gotten this on here?!
    I usually take the scoop it came with @3.5 grams, once a day. I get the tinglys, a bit of nausea and the big D as sides,It sucks lol.
    I clicked on 2 of the links and didn't see anything about gastrointestinal discomfort caused by BA, but then again I didn't really look very hard...

But honestly, I have never heard of anyone else mention this as a side-effect from supplementing with BA. That could partly be due to the fact that BA is often coupled with some forms of Arginine and Creatine (which more popularly produce stomach problems) unless taken from bulk form.

Which product did you say you were using again?

28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

dude from personal experience dont take it for more than 3 months (what can i say, it was a clearance)

i did and my "big D" is green thats why i stoppped using it and everything is back to normal
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

29. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Answers

So I started experimenting with this this past week...it has lead to nausea and the big D. Any way to counter this without giving it to my bro in law as a second human experiment?
    Sounds like me when I drank 6g at once.

I'd recommend smaller, more spread out doses.

30. New Member
    Answers

I have used Beta-Analine from the company Now and I dose 3 grams with my preworkout
    shake and another 3 grams in my recovery shake and I have never had any stomach
    issues and I have never heard of having stomach issues from using BA. I don't even feel
    any tingles I only felt it the first 2 or 3 times using it. What brand of BA powder were
    you using maybe you got a bad batch. I have gone through 3 jars of Now Foods BA
    powder with no problems at all and they have it at a very good price at 19.95 for a
    container of 500 grams.

31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Had diarrhea on my first day of beta. Took 2grams before workout and 2 grams after and had really painful diarrhea. On top of it I took it with creatine which normally doesn't bother me but definetly is added stress when combined with something else. Now I'm taking 2 grams before breakfast and 2 grams post-workout and see what happens.

PS.. like steve said.. can't you just say diarrhea? Otherwise no one knows the language that's in your head.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?

32. New Member
    Answers

never had diarrhea from beta-alanine.. and I have dosed up to 6g. But I get diarrhea from everything else lol ^^

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Alanine vs Beta-Alanine
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
  2. beta-alanine
    By thedon3534 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
  3. Beta-Alanine best before or after WO?
    By WhatNot51 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 12:18 AM