Looking for good muscle gainer...

Zephyr

Awards
...Alright so I'm looking for something that can get me my muscle back.

About 2 months ago (maybe a lil longer), I hurt my shoulder pretty bad. It still hurts right now, but i go to a chiropractor every 2 weeks, and she says that nothings wrong with it besides my posture which made me injured in the first place.

So I have 2 questions...

1) If i take creatine, or any other supplement, will it increase my risk of hurting my shoulder any more?

2) What supplement, (creatine, protein, anything) would you recommend for mass muscle gain? I used to be pretty strong when i took creatine, but once i hurt my shoulder i stopped working out alot, got alot smaller, and just got really ****in depressed :lick:

This post may be a bit jumbled, but that's because I'm trying to condense it as much as possible haha.

Also a little info on the shoulder injury, it prevents me from doing most chest exercises and all shoulder exercises. Like whenever i do bench press, when i go down it hurts really bad on my inner shoulder. So I will be mostly focusing on my biceps, triceps, back, and legs.

I'm really just looking to gain back my lost muscle as fast as possible and get back on my routine. I'm also looking for a mass gaining diet if anyone wants to help with that :b

Anyways, thanks for your help

-Ryan

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
...Alright so I'm looking for something that can get me my muscle back.

About 2 months ago (maybe a lil longer), I hurt my shoulder pretty bad. It still hurts right now, but i go to a chiropractor every 2 weeks, and she says that nothings wrong with it besides my posture which made me injured in the first place.

So I have 2 questions...

1) If i take creatine, or any other supplement, will it increase my risk of hurting my shoulder any more?

2) What supplement, (creatine, protein, anything) would you recommend for mass muscle gain? I used to be pretty strong when i took creatine, but once i hurt my shoulder i stopped working out alot, got alot smaller, and just got really ****in depressed :lick:

This post may be a bit jumbled, but that's because I'm trying to condense it as much as possible haha.

Also a little info on the shoulder injury, it prevents me from doing most chest exercises and all shoulder exercises. Like whenever i do bench press, when i go down it hurts really bad on my inner shoulder. So I will be mostly focusing on my biceps, triceps, back, and legs.

I'm really just looking to gain back my lost muscle as fast as possible and get back on my routine. I'm also looking for a mass gaining diet if anyone wants to help with that :b

Anyways, thanks for your help

-Ryan
Creatine WILL NOT build muscle. It simply is a carrier molecule for inorganic phosphate to be used in for resynthesis of ATP. A proper diet is key for gaining mass along with a routine designed for that specific purpose.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You shouldn't be going to a CHIROPRACTOR for a SHOULDER injury. If you damaged your shoulder, then the best person to see for a rehabilitation programme is a PHYSIOTHERAPIST or a personal trainer qualified and experienced in writing and monitoring rehabilitaion programmes.

Taking supplements is NOT going to increase the risk of hurting your shoulder (unless you are using hormonals, and then you can get drier joints, which would not be advisable).

I know how you feel re losing muscle mass. Earlier this year I broke my left scaphoid and was out of the gym for 8 weeks. Lost a lot of hard-gained muscle mass and a little strength. However, it didn't take me long to regain back that mass (and them some), as well as increasing my strength back to pre-injury (and beyond) levels (I WAS using some products, though; however, the progress and recovery was not because OF them).

See my log: The Female Terminator Chronicles re what I did and used:
* from post #145 (pages 5-8)- casted
* from post #227 (page 8) - cast off, week before lifting
* from post #237 (page 8) - resistance training again

However, a supplement is NOT going to do this for you. They may HELP, yes; but as mentioned by russy_russ, your DIET is the key to rebuilding that muscle mass (as well as having your training targeted towards that).

Aside from that, you should be using the basic staples:
* Creatine
* MUltivitamin
* Good Fats
* Preotein Powder
* BCAAs (some protein powders have these in, so no need for a separate product)

You may also want to look at using a product that helps joints/ligaments/tendons. One such product that has been a huge part of my swift recovery is OsteoSport (see notes at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/applied-nutriceuticals/120937-osteosport-accelerates-healing.html).

Instead of AVOIDING doing Chest and Shoulders' exercises, you should be focussing on REHABILITATING it, so that you get back to pre-injury function, range of motion, and strength as quickly as you can. Otherwise you are creating imbalances.

As I said, rehabilitation FIRST. It may seem slow and frustrating (and trust me, it IS), but if you do it properly you can be back to "normal" in no time.

As for the diet, that's easy enough to do. First, you need to work out what your MAINTENANCE calories are (There are various methods and equations that you can use to calculate this; most take into account current body mass, height, and activity level). Then, to gain muscle, you need to make sure that you’re having up to (or beyond) 500 calories MORE than maintenance. Depending on how fast or slow you gain muscle (and how much fat you gain as well), you can adjust and tweak your calorie intake each week.

Extracts from an article I wrote re diet and muscle accretion:

MACRONUTRIENT COMPOSITION FOR OPTIMAL MUSCLE GROWTH

To gain muscle mass one must be in a POSITIVE energy balance, with a recommendation of ~15% energy increase from maintenance, to ensure that the weight gain acquired from the resistance training undertaken results in muscle accretion (Lambert, Frank & Evans, 2004).

According to studies done, 5-6g/kg/day of carbohydrate are required for optimal muscle glycogen levels in those looking to gain muscle (Burke, 2006; Lambert, Frank & Evans, 2004).

According to studies done (Rennie & Tipton, 2000) the general population require only 0.8g/kg/day of protein. Bodybuilders and those trying to gain muscle mass require higher amounts, ranging from 1.0-1.2g/kg/day for those who do their resistance training in a steady-state, and as much as 1.5-1.7 g/kg/day for those who train in the early morning or in a fasted state (Consolazio, Johnson, Nelson, Dramise & Skala, 1975; Rennie & Tipton, 2000; Tarnopolsky, MacDougall & Atkinson, 1988; Tarnopolsky, 2006; Torun, Scrimshaw & Young, 1977), with female athletes requiring ~15% lower g/kg/day than their male counterparts (Tarnopolsky, 2006).

To achieve muscle accretion one must have a positive energy balance (~15% above maintenance), a moderate to high carbohydrate intake (55-50% total daily energy) to fuel resistance sessions, optimal protein intake (25-30% total daily energy) to ensure protein synthesis, and an adequate fat intake (15-20% total daily energy) to prevent testosterone levels falling.

Zephyr

Awards
First of all Guejsn i would like to thank you for your very helpful response.

So to reply to a couple of things...

• I have scheduled an appointment with a physical therapist so I'm expecting him/her to give me some good exercises to do and do physical therapy on me.
  • Thanks for the list of basic supplements to use. I have all of those except for the creatine. I was thinking of using this creatine: Its called Kre-Alkalyn 1500
  • And I looked up my maintenance calories and here is the result: Maintenance: 2552 Calories/day
Also If you could point me in the direction of a website that has good bulking diets it would be greatly appreciated. I really need to crack down on my diet, but its just really hard to find a good one :b

And thanks again, I really appreciate all your help.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established

• I have scheduled an appointment with a physical therapist so I'm expecting him/her to give me some good exercises to do and do physical therapy on me.
  • Thanks for the list of basic supplements to use. I have all of those except for the creatine. I was thinking of using this creatine: Its called Kre-Alkalyn 1500
  • And I looked up my maintenance calories and here is the result: Maintenance: 2552 Calories/day
Also If you could point me in the direction of a website that has good bulking diets it would be greatly appreciated. I really need to crack down on my diet, but its just really hard to find a good one :b

anabolic minds has come good diets
look around the nutrition forum on here and see what others are doing
i had shoulder surgery for multiple dislocations and ripped my labrum to shreds with a bankart blah blah blah...
so i feel you on the shoulder
my roommate had some shoulder issues from overtraining, an active guy, surfed daily sometimes 2-3 hrs and worked out with me in the evenings.. he went from never working out (just cardio) to doing all that within a month and his shoulder pain was intense
cut him back 60% of his normal lifts that involved the shoulder (chest movements, presses, shoulder movements, and lat routines)
and worked him up 5lbs every 2 weeks on the last 2 sets
for example:
wk 1 d-bell shoulder press 25-25-25-25
wk 2 " " 25-25-30-30
wk 3 " " 30-30-30-30
wk 4 ' ' 30-30-35-35 and so on
cut back reps and weight as needed
take it slow and make sure you recover before you go do anything heavy.. i feel ya!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

No worries.

1. Good. They should give you a rehabilitation programme. I could ask questions and know what was wrong and write one, but it is better to have someone who can actually perform the special etsts for you and monitor you in person.

2. Kre-Alkalyn is a good creatine to use.

As for diet, there is no specific diet to use. As long as you're having over Maintenance calories then you should be fine.

Some tips for diet re bulking:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours after waking. This helps keep the metabolism going throughout the day, as well as keeping insulin levels stable.
2. EVERY meal should have complex carbohydrates [CHO] (i.e. kumara, rice, oats, etc.), QUALITY LEAN protein (chicken breast, fish, tuna, salmon, lean beef, egg whites, etc.), and FIBROUS CHO (i.e. vegetables, green ones in particular).
3. Drink 4.5 litres of water per day. This will help keep the system clean.
4. Have at least TWO servings of DAIRY per day.
5. Do NOT avoid fat (only avoid Saturated fat and Trans fats). You NEED fat in your diet, as fat plays major roles in energy metabolism and other parts of your body (Wardlaw & Hampl, 2007). Make sure to have at least 50-60 grams of GOOD fats (i.e. flaxseeds or flaxseed oil, fish oils, peanut butter, nuts - especially almonds and walnuts, hempseed oil, olive oil, etc.) per day (i.e. this is ~2 tbsp of flaxseed oil or peanut butter).
6. Don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol has NO nutritional value and is full of calories.
7. Minimize adding salt to food. Instead, flavour a meal with herbs and spices.
8. The only sugar needed on a regular basis is the NATURAL sugars found in food; these are mostly found in fruit. Too much sugar plays havoc with insulin levels and these should be as stable as possible throughout the day. The best time to be having sugar is straight AFTER a RESISTANCE workout, when the body is trying to replenish muscle glycogen stores (Burke, 2006).
9. A good guideline is to have at least 1 gram of CHO per kg of body mass per day as a MINIMUM, going up to 5-6g/day for bulking needs (Burke, 2006).
10. If you want to do a cleaner, leaner bulk, then try and eat most food as 'natural' as possible. This means fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, grains, etc. Try not to eat too much packaged food, as it is full of extra calories and sugar.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
guesjn has gotcha covered.

Zephyr

Awards
Thanks again Guejsn for all the tips, the only concern i have is when it comes to the fat that i want to eat, i absolutely hate nuts. I do however love olive oil, so if i was to eat 5-60g per day of fat i would just need to convery tblsp into grams? I'll also pick up some omega 3 fatty acid pills from gnc (thats fish oil right?)

cut him back 60% of his normal lifts that involved the shoulder (chest movements, presses, shoulder movements, and lat routines)
and worked him up 5lbs every 2 weeks on the last 2 sets
for example:
wk 1 d-bell shoulder press 25-25-25-25
wk 2 " " 25-25-30-30
wk 3 " " 30-30-30-30
wk 4 ' ' 30-30-35-35 and so on
cut back reps and weight as needed
take it slow and make sure you recover before you go do anything heavy.. i feel ya!
I'll try this starting today, it sounds like it will help my shoulder. I actually messed up last week and stressed my shoulder a bit to much with doing too much weight (even though i could do it easy, i felt the strain on my shoulder) while doing incline and my shoulders been hurting all day for a week haha, so hopefully this will ease the pain a bit.

And ye, all those surgeries you had must have been a pain! Luckily i don't have it that bad, hopefully :nervous:, but we'll see when i go to the doctor.
There is just nothing worse than having an injury prevent you from working out, while watching your hard earned muscle go away :worried:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks again Guejsn for all the tips, the only concern i have is when it comes to the fat that i want to eat, i absolutely hate nuts. I do however love olive oil, so if i was to eat 5-60g per day of fat i would just need to convery tblsp into grams? I'll also pick up some omega 3 fatty acid pills from gnc (thats fish oil right?)
Well you don't need to use nuts as your source of fat. Use oils, such as olive, flaxseed, hempseed, etc. or fish oils. Yes, omega 3s are fish oils.

If using tbsp: 1tbsp = 15g.

So use ~2-3 tbsp of oil of preference per day, with the fish oil. (Note that you will also get some fats from your protein sources).

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
good luck.. patience is key
dont try to do too much too fast or it will end ya up even further back then ya started