Does Creatine and glutamine compete for the same receptor?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.53%

Does Creatine and glutamine compete for the same receptor?

i have heard that you should not take these two together because of this reason. Can anyone post some articles or elaborate on this?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

1) Wrong. 2) Neither have anything to do with 'receptors'. You're fine taking both, in any manner.

Glutamine does interfere with Arginine supplements, but again, no receptors involved.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Thats a good question. I have such a hard time with creatine I'd like to know if glutamine would do the job.

I really can't see it. glutamine is an amino acid. Creatine is a salt. I'd like to know more too.

The other thing is even if receptor binding competition took place ..so what? It wouldn't be harmful it would just make taking excess a bit useless. I really can't see it know.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%

No receptor binding .... hmmm... thats a big claim. Okay lets rephrase the question... active site binding. Agreed cell receptor binding no... it'll need a transporter to take it into the cell. Active site binding there is no reason why an amino acid is not involved in that and seen as many are used as the starting products of hormones and more than simply churning protein chains then why not?
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.4%

Quote Originally Posted by matthias7 View Post
    No receptor binding .... hmmm... thats a big claim. Okay lets rephrase the question... active site binding. Agreed cell receptor binding no... it'll need a transporter to take it into the cell. Active site binding there is no reason why an amino acid is not involved in that and seen as many are used as the starting products of hormones and more than simply churning protein chains then why not?
    Most hormones are lipid based i thought, except growth and some others? Glutamine and creatine have no "competitive" effect to my knowlege. Although I dont really know how glutamine is supposed to benefit humans. Idk what u mean. creatine is eventually turned into atp, I also dont believe glutamine has anything to do with energy metabolism.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%

Tyrosine -> L-DOPA -> dopamine

:S
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Motox View Post
    Most hormones are lipid based i thought, except growth and some others? Glutamine and creatine have no "competitive" effect to my knowlege. Although I dont really know how glutamine is supposed to benefit humans. Idk what u mean. creatine is eventually turned into atp, I also dont believe glutamine has anything to do with energy metabolism.
    There are lipid based hormones and protein based hormones. Creatine does not work on receptors it is broken down by enzymatic activity of creatine kinase to cleave it's inorganic phosphate group which is used to resynthesize ATP (ADP + Pi = ATP).
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    There are lipid based hormones and protein based hormones. Creatine does not work on receptors it is broken down by enzymatic activity of creatine kinase to cleave it's inorganic phosphate group which is used to resynthesize ATP (ADP + Pi = ATP).
    Thanks - thats a good post. Yeah it makes sense and creatine kinase is located in muscle tissue - my memory is a bit vague.

How do I award reps?

To answer the question there is no way an amino acid could interfer with creatine kinase.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.37%

Quote Originally Posted by matthias7 View Post
    Thanks - thats a good post. Yeah it makes sense and creatine kinase is located in muscle tissue - my memory is a bit vague.

How do I award reps?

To answer the question there is no way an amino acid could interfer with creatine kinase.
    Correct, essentially creatine kinase is a protein in which elevated temperature, and changes in pH will cause the hydrogen bonds to break changing the structure of the enzyme (protein denaturation).
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

i thought glutamine helps with da release of arginine

says here
    "In the small intestine, glutamine is converted into citruline, which in turn triggers the synthesis of arginine, an amino acid shown to release growth hormone in some studies. Moreover, glutamine is converted into glutamate, which can directly enhance growth hormone secretion."
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.81%

Ive also read where beta alanine and taurine should not be taken at the same time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Glutamine & Creatine
    By shotdead42 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
  2. confusion on creatine and glutamine mix
    By tong2thong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
  3. Creatine and Glutamine? ZMA and Protein?
    By fireoverture in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM
  4. Protein/Creatine/NO/Glutamine
    By Sooty in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2006, 08:59 PM
  5. Tested Powerlifting meets??To compete or Not to compete?
    By MrSkullCrusher in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM