Kidney question

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
My mother had a kidey removed due to tumor 2 years ago. Since then her other kidney has dropped to 20% functionality. She is also type 2 diabetic.

With her other kidney function dropping, there is a possiblity that either her sister or one of us kids may have to partake in a transplant with my mom.

What should I do/stop taking in preparation?

I just finished THE ONE and currently about 1/2 way through 2nd Gear.

I also take creatine mono, ADAM, whey isolate, mega dosed fishoil, P-slin, and Blue Up.

My diet is pretty good...basically "South Beach" style.

Any ideas appreciated...I would hate to do something potentially damaging to my mother if I get chosen to help.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Ohh... very good question indeed. I'd like to see this one argued out.

Creatine is great stuff, amazing stuff but it is controversial for affecting kidneys. First thing I'd do is get potassium and creatinine blood levels checked. I'm concerned about the creatine effects on even healthy kidney function.

Second thing I'd go is quit the loading dose of creatine. You know load, stable, rest cycle. Next cycle don't load.

Keep the fishoil up, ADAM I dunno.

I don't want to state what I'm thinking for politeness but you can start being really active in checking kidney health.

I sure like to hear from those who disagree strongly.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Id say quit creatine.. all forms of alcohol, and anabolics/test boosters until this happens. Just me though

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is just the liver though surely?

Its just bbuilders are known for kidney problems but I was never clear exactly where this was cutting in. Creatine is the obvious suspect. I'm pretty sure that nothing is really proven on this. If creatine was a major problem it wouldn't be legal for long. Its legality in athletics is hotly debated.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for chiming in and helping me.

I don't drink alcohol.

My creatine is only 2.5 grams pre workout and 5 grams post work out.

I saw mom's tests results...her creatinine was high, as was her sodium and potassium. She was listed as stage 3.

She see's her Dr Tuesday and I said for her to try to get a dietician recommended to give her a kidney friendly diet.

Keep in mind my kidneys are fine...I just want to make sure that if I give mom one there nothing in my kidney/blood that will hurt her.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
well I am enjoying the love you show for your mother :)

Finish PCT of course, a big thing is gona be your hormones being stabilized and everything getting back to normal.

They will run extensive tests on you if they are gona possibly transfer a kidney. And if its good enough to go, they plug the damn thing into a machine anyways that purifies it a bit more, cleans it out, and gets it ready for installation.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
this is not my area of expertise...but, I'm here to support big Rob!

you and your family are in my prayers bud!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alcohol is just the liver though surely?

Its just bbuilders are known for kidney problems but I was never clear exactly where this was cutting in. Creatine is the obvious suspect. I'm pretty sure that nothing is really proven on this. If creatine was a major problem it wouldn't be legal for long. Its legality in athletics is hotly debated.
I'd bet that the farm that creatine itself is far from the most common suspect or etiology in bodybuilders with these issues. Uncontrolled Hypertension and/or Diabetes are both very bad risk factors for the development of renal (kidney) failure. As are factors such as pre-renal fluid volume deficit (dehydration), insufficient cardiac output (through acquired or congenital cardiac issues), use of blood pressure meds (i.e. ACE inhibitors), chronic use of NSAIDS (i.e. ibuprofen, naprosyn), or even disease states/processes (i.e. sepsis)

Any combination of those factors can and will greatly potentiate the issue even further. I can imagine there are many undisclosed (concurrent or previously unknown) health conditions with these guys that is likely the forefront of many of the issues.

Considering the physiology placed on body systems through the use of anabolic steroids (or the modalities used to control certain side effects), these issues can be far more common in instance then is even currently recognized.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My mother had a kidey removed due to tumor 2 years ago. Since then her other kidney has dropped to 20% functionality. She is also type 2 diabetic.

With her other kidney function dropping, there is a possiblity that either her sister or one of us kids may have to partake in a transplant with my mom.

What should I do/stop taking in preparation?

I just finished THE ONE and currently about 1/2 way through 2nd Gear.

I also take creatine mono, ADAM, whey isolate, mega dosed fishoil, P-slin, and Blue Up.

My diet is pretty good...basically "South Beach" style.

Any ideas appreciated...I would hate to do something potentially damaging to my mother if I get chosen to help.

Have they started the work-up yet to determine if you're a suitable donor?

Just for the record as well - I think this is truly an amazing selfless act that you'd be willing to do this for your mom. :)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Just for the record as well - I think this is truly an amazing selfless act that you'd be willing to do this for your mom. :)
^^^X2 bubba!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ohh... very good question indeed. I'd like to see this one argued out.

Creatine is great stuff, amazing stuff but it is controversial for affecting kidneys. First thing I'd do is get potassium and creatinine blood levels checked. I'm concerned about the creatine effects on even healthy kidney function.

Second thing I'd go is quit the loading dose of creatine. You know load, stable, rest cycle. Next cycle don't load.

Keep the fishoil up, ADAM I dunno.

I don't want to state what I'm thinking for politeness but you can start being really active in checking kidney health.

I sure like to hear from those who disagree strongly.
BUN Creatinine and GFR you should get tested.

i think creatine in small amounts on workout days should be fine and if yhour healthy you should have normal functioning healthy kidneys. make sure you drink enough water and get in your electrolytes. keep protein at 1g per pound i wouldnt say go much higher then that thoguh that can be argued but until you know whats going on i would say its reasonable, just increase fat cals

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established

Thanks for all the support guys....it's greatly appreciated.

Her Doctor hasn't mentioned it yet. There's 5 stages and she's currently listed as stage 3. I'm preparing just in case. She see's her GP Tuesday and her kidney Dr next week. My mom is a twin so her sister is probably the best match as long as she's healthy enough to do it. Then there's four of us kids.

Her one kidney dropped from 35% to 20% in about a month :( When I saw her yesterday I looked through her kitchen and had a fit....she's been so tired that she hasn't cooked and relies on premade dinners which are high sodium and potassium thus straining her kidney more. I told her when she saw her GP Tuesday to get a recommendation for a renal dietician.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all the support guys....it's greatly appreciated.

Her Doctor hasn't mentioned it yet. There's 5 stages and she's currently listed as stage 3. I'm preparing just in case. She see's her GP Tuesday and her kidney Dr next week. My mom is a twin so her sister is probably the best match as long as she's healthy enough to do it. Then there's four of us kids.

Her one kidney dropped from 35% to 20% in about a month :( When I saw her yesterday I looked through her kitchen and had a fit....she's been so tired that she hasn't cooked and relies on premade dinners which are high sodium and potassium thus straining her kidney more. I told her when she saw her GP Tuesday to get a recommendation for a renal dietician.
Anytime, buddy. It's really get to hear stories like this. She definitely has to change her diet if she wants the situation to at least stabilize. As renal function decreases, electrolyte abnormalities become a more pertinent issue (mainly hyperkalemia, but also hyperphosphatemia). Monitoring her BUN/creatinine and GFR (glomerular filtration rate) will probably become a more frequent task in the coming months. ESRD (End-stage renal disease) is diagnosed once kidney function reaches 10% or less.

Have they explained and discussed possible dialysis options (either hemo or peritoneal) if no match is noted?

You really shouldn't have to change anything drastically that you're doing at this point. Your mom's diabetes has more than likely potentiated the development of her issue. She'll have to make major changes if the transplant is done to ensure it continues to function appropriately. This includes compliance with anti-rejection meds, diet and diabetes management. It sounds like having a son like you will be a great help to her in this regard. :)

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for chiming in and helping me.

I don't drink alcohol.

My creatine is only 2.5 grams pre workout and 5 grams post work out.

I saw mom's tests results...her creatinine was high, as was her sodium and potassium. She was listed as stage 3.

She see's her Dr Tuesday and I said for her to try to get a dietician recommended to give her a kidney friendly diet.

Keep in mind my kidneys are fine...I just want to make sure that if I give mom one there nothing in my kidney/blood that will hurt her.
Yeah all the best. Nervous time. The main thing really is the immuno-compatibility/ blood group. Your mum will be on immuno-suppresents post-transplant so make sure she eats well lots of zinc and vit c.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Considering the physiology placed on body systems through the use of anabolic steroids (or the modalities used to control certain side effects), these issues can be far more common in instance then is even currently recognized.
I hope your right. Creatine makes my kidneys feel like they are 'crunching up' like crazy. The stuffs great but I just can't use it in normal dosing. It is controversial stuff though.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
It's a little premature at this point. Once you have actually been HLA typed and found to be a compatible donor, then it's probably a good idea to quit taking everything and continue with a healthy diet until after the transplantation.