Taking tums before working out.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes when I pile all this crap into my stomach, it gets a bit acidic. So I was wondering if dropping a tums in before the workout to nullify it, maybe 30 mins after consumption of supps. Would that have any negative effects on absorption? I just cant work out and while having blasts of hot gas burn my throat and chest.

Heavy Weight

Awards
I take tums after eating if my stomach is unhappy with my food choice or when my stomach is upset from to many supplements to quickly. Havent personally felt or seen any downside, better than barfing up all the good stuff ?

Heavy Weight

Awards
was taking Prilosec OTC for a long time but forgot my pills on a 2 week trip and only had tums. seemed like the tums worked just as good and alot cheaper.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Heavy Weight, Tums can do some serious damage to your natural intestinal flora with extended use. Please understand I'm not qualified to give medical advice relating to Prilosec or other long-term acid managers, but I would recommend using Tums as an emergency solution only (if you feel burning in your stomach or esophagus, damage is already occurring!). In my experience, Tums can make a minor problem into a serious one. Stomach ailments can grow out of control quick.

localredhead

Awards
Heavy Weight, Tums can do some serious damage to your natural intestinal flora with extended use. Please understand I'm not qualified to give medical advice relating to Prilosec or other long-term acid managers, but I would recommend using Tums as an emergency solution only (if you feel burning in your stomach or esophagus, damage is already occurring!). In my experience, Tums can make a minor problem into a serious one. Stomach ailments can grow out of control quick.
Qouted for truth

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what all are you taking ZERO?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
DTH, Ready 4 War, Nos Ether Lv 1. of course mutlis, fish oil, and all that, but they never bother me.

It only happens once a week usually, I get the DTH, R4W, Nos Ether in my stomach and feel like...oh God I just swallowed WW3.

And I drink plenty of water, got my brita pitcher.

Generally I have Zero stomach issues. No acid all day, etc, its just every once in awhile when I get those supps down, it gets upset a lil. Hot gas sucks in the middle of a lift though.

Also I notice taking a protien shakes about 30 minutes after dosing them, before I head off to the gym helps prevent it.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
does any of that have foreskolin it?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
does any of that have foreskolin it?
No. But foreskolin doesnt bother me, even at higher doses, I have used it before.

I think it stems from the Nos Ether really. Becuase the feeling comes after that, and when I normally drink it it leaves me feeling a bit bleh. Though it helps in the gym.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe you should trying spacing some stuff out maybe that will help.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
maybe you should trying spacing some stuff out maybe that will help.
I have, I have taken an hour before to take all my pills. Casually. Since I have to peel the DTH anyways(throat wont let me swallow them) and grind em up and wash it down with tea. Surprisingly, when I do that my stomach doesnt bother me.

Its only like once a week anyhow. I will just experiment each time. Thanks for the input, I didnt know tums could carry such issues with it. Then again I hate most doctor prescribed medication and OCT medication(i wont take Tylenol unless I am crying from pain). I think most of its bad for you anyways anymore.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally, I love tums preworkout. It has a profound impact on my strength.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally, I love tums preworkout. It has a profound impact on my strength.
Is this delving all the way back to when they were saying to take carbonates pre-workout, to buffer lactic acids?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is this delving all the way back to when they were saying to take carbonates pre-workout, to buffer lactic acids?
nope...mostly from the calcium and its role in nerve transmission/muscular contraction.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah tylenol is really toxic to the liver i hear

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nope...mostly from the calcium and its role in nerve transmission/muscular contraction.
Well that is good because you'd really be showing your age with that (and probably a few extra years).

I didn't realize calcium ions were so readily replenished. I don't doubt it though.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah tylenol is really toxic to the liver i hear
Tylenol + Alcohol = sadly a quite common form of teenage suicide. Damn kids and their emo music.

If you are experiencing a sour stomach from your pre-workouts, stay away from Aspirin. Aspirin is a COX-I inhibitor, which can increase the release of stomach acid. In the event you've got a tummy ache due to high acidity in the stomach, naturally, this could make it worse.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well that is good because you'd really be showing your age with that (and probably a few extra years).

I didn't realize calcium ions were so readily replenished. I don't doubt it though.
Checked for studies, but didn't find anything specific. This would fall under the "many years of self-experiment, as well as post-workout analysis of strength with and without calcium (unintentional)"

750-1500mg Calcium Carbonate 20-30 minutes preworkout has a significant effect on me even still.

Wetdawg

Wetdawg

Awards
I down a lot of water before, during, and after taking supps. Plus I drink water while working out. seems to battle most effects of sup rebirth. Altho my preworkout drink burps are killers at time.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Checked for studies, but didn't find anything specific. This would fall under the "many years of self-experiment, as well as post-workout analysis of strength with and without calcium (unintentional)"

750-1500mg Calcium Carbonate 20-30 minutes preworkout has a significant effect on me even still.
Interesting.

Well call this a "dsade case study", and in all honesty, it's more scientific than many published case studies.

I still wonder if the weak-ion alkilinity lends to this overall benefit. CaCO3 is a better buffering agent than NaHCO3, and I'm sure you've heard of that whole stupid scheme before.

Have you experimented with different anions? I would think calcium acetate would be more beneficial, or even a cool complex, if you know what I'm getting at.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting.

Well call this a "dsade case study", and in all honesty, it's more scientific than many published case studies.

I still wonder if the weak-ion alkilinity lends to this overall benefit. CaCO3 is a better buffering agent than NaHCO3, and I'm sure you've heard of that whole stupid scheme before.

Have you experimented with different anions? I would think calcium acetate would be more beneficial, or even a cool complex, if you know what I'm getting at.
It has been on my "to-do" list - especially since this fits in with both my Powerlifting enhancement design as well as a design for both MMA/Sprinters/explosive athletes and generalized strength enhancement. Just hasn't fit in so far (other KREBS intermediates are intriguing as well...citrate, etc. - if you know what I'm getting at.)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do know what you're getting at. You could even mix with another group II metal, as the central ion for such complexes, to boost things even further.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do know what you're getting at. You could even mix with another group II metal, as the central ion for such complexes, to boost things even further.
I do believe you know exactly what I am getting at. Just wish I had more time, and a better lineup of engineers/suppliers.

No, I don't WANT to buy creatine Monohydrate and L-Arginine , dammit.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
lol, wow. This went down a unique road. So then tums could be beneficial to lifts?

Its rare when I need em anyways. And at a gallon a day water intake i know thats not it.

I will stick to using em as needed. Pre Workout tums sounds kinda cool/ funny though.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
completly agree i take dolamite pre and during the workout and drink it throughout the day

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I thought Calcium significantly decreases absorption of a lot of vitamins and minerals? Therefore making it rather undesirable to mix with other supplements....

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established

I do the exact same just i dont take tums to get my calcium... and mine is usually 2grams of calcium citrate... have u tried calcium citrate vs. calcium carbonate... wonder if theres a noticable difference...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do believe you know exactly what I am getting at. Just wish I had more time, and a better lineup of engineers/suppliers.

No, I don't WANT to buy creatine Monohydrate and L-Arginine , dammit.
Just do the BSN thing: Use CM and say it's something else. :borladuck:

It seems it's like that with any type of synthesis: you can never find the reagents you're looking for. Lol.

I had a sweet idea last summer, until I realized I'd need a DEA license to work with the necessary intermediates, just to see if it would work.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do the exact same just i dont take tums to get my calcium... and mine is usually 2grams of calcium citrate... have u tried calcium citrate vs. calcium carbonate... wonder if theres a noticable difference...
I think combined in the right formula, the citrate salt would have value (as mentioned above) but for quick and dirty (read: cheap and fast) I just opt for the carbonate.

As a side note, I'm diggin this Ultra-Mag - Magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate and succinate - NO oxide in it.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
I think combined in the right formula, the citrate salt would have value (as mentioned above) but for quick and dirty (read: cheap and fast) I just opt for the carbonate.

As a side note, I'm diggin this Ultra-Mag - Magnesium citrate, taurinate, malate, glycinate and succinate - NO oxide in it.
its the only form of calcium that i can get over here... my insurance pays for it cuase u have to get it from a doctor (over in this highly regulated country)... awesome yes i know... the only problem is that i get really bad joints when i start to go above 4grams a day... but that could just be the fact that i eat a whole lotta eggs...

sounds like an awesome supplement... mst's multi seems to be the best out now it seems like... more companies need to produce a solid multi b4 putting out a whole line of ph's especially ones that dont come with any warnings...but this is all off topic...

to the OP it would be fine i almost regularly take 5-10grams of sodium bicarbonate b4 my workouts...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Magnesium succinate?!

The king of laxatives?

Heavy Weight

Awards
Oh yah i dont take them all the time, only if my stomach is acting up. Maybe once or twice a week if i've eaten something wild thats sent me into a spin cycle! Thanks for the concern it has made me stop and think about my intake of acid reducers alot. Im glad to have some others feedback and opinions on some of my concerns. Im finding more and more that others have the same ones! THANKS !