flaxseed oil supplement advice

em13

Awards
hey guys,

ive hit a wall with my current training plan/regime and have a serious lack of EFA's in my diet, so ive been reading around about taking flaxseed oil as a supplement.

according to my research so far, the oil in its "raw" form is better than taking the pills, and that I should take 1 teaspoon with breakfast and 1 with my evening meal. but i still have a few questions:

- how much should I be taking per day? (in teaspoons)
- when should I be taking it?
- does it need to be taken with a meal?
- is it best in the oil form or supplement?
- also, should I stop taking my Cod Liver Oil supplement?

thanks in advance!

xoxoxox

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
IMO no need to stop using your cod liver supplement. I usually put some ground flax seed into my morning breakfast shake and still take Nutraplanet's Omega-3 caps throughout the day. Less on days that I eat fish, More on days that I do not. As soon as those run out I have a can of Animal Omega waiting on hand. It seems to be pretty comprehensive.

If you ask me the more sources you get your EFA's from the better. So still take your cod liver supp.

If you're taking it in oil form I would definetely take it with a shake or something like that. If it's pill pop them whenever, although food may help with absorption. I pop some fish oil caps with meals throughout the day, so there is no "specific" timing for a basic supplement like this.

Parrrish

Awards
Flax seed causes prostate blockage, I try to stay away from it.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Flax seed causes prostate blockage, I try to stay away from it.
I would take that with a grain of salt. That is NOT a fact, by any stretch of the imagination. It is merely a theory, and a crack-pot one at that IMO. You need to do some more reading on this subject bro. Newer studies have come to find that the OPPOSITE of your statement is actually the case.

Diets high in saturated fats and diets with a very unproportional ratio of Omega-6's to Omega-3's (much more O-6's than O-3's) are much more likely the culprit and/or a contributing factor.

Having said that...get your EFA's from different sources. Don't just rely on flax or fish, etc....

If you don't like flax it's all good, I'm not going to hate you. But please don't stay away from it b/c you think it will give you prostate cancer.

It's tough to pass up the fiber in ground flax seed as well....

Parrrish

Awards
Recent studies have suggested that flaxseed oil may contribute to increased prostate cancer risk. Fortunately, there is no need to consume flaxseed oil. The best way to get omega-3 fatty acids is to consume whole flaxseed. Plus, when you consume whole flaxseed, not only do you get the best plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, you also get the richest source of dietary lignans. Lignans are converted by bacteria in the intestinal tract to horomone-like compounds called phytoestrogens that have protective effects against hormone-related cancers such as breast and prostate cancer. In fact, consuming ground flaxseed has been shown to have beneficial properties for prevention and treatment of both breast and prostate cancer.

When you consume the whole seeds, not the oil, the results show significantly reduced growth rate of cancer cells, and increased death rate of cancer cells. Another way to safely and effectively contribute to your omega-3 intake is to eat a few walnuts and lots of leafy green vegetables. When you get your essential fats from whole natural foods, you get powerful disease-fighting nutrients in the process that are not found in oils.

When it comes to omega-3 fatty acids, my recommendation is to consume about one tablespoon of ground flaxseed per day, and forgo the oil. I also recommend a small amount of DHA from a vegan source (about 200 mg per day) to assure nutritional adequacy (but not as your only source of omega-3s).

Parrrish

Awards
My bad, Thats what I was told at our local supplement store.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
No worries. On the rare occassion that I actually am in a supplement store I try my best to avoid the workers there. If I have a question I go home and look it up.