Creatine Cycling

spotflex

Awards
Hey Guys-
What is the time length really recomended to cycle off of creatine?

carnivalhobo

Awards
From a Peak Performance article, by no means the bible, but a quick google shows no conclusive evidence of any harm in long term usage.

But more than 10 years of widespread creatine use and hundreds of published studies have produced little or no evidence that long-term creatine use poses a threat to kidney health. Quite the contrary, in fact. For example, a study carried out earlier this year looked at the effects of long- term high-dose creatine supplementation on 175 patients with a disease known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which causes damage to motor neurones in the brain and spinal chord (2). These patients were randomly assigned to 310 days’ treatment with either creatine monohydrate or placebo (animal studies had suggested that extra creatine could delay the progression of this disease).

The researchers monitored the patients carefully for any signs of adverse effects, particularly on kidney function, but found no significant differences between the groups. Given that the creatine group were ingesting 10g per day – three times the dose needed by athletes to maintain muscle creatine saturation – this study provides strong evidence for the safety of long- term supplementation by athletes.

Two years earlier, an even lengthier study looked into the health effects of creatine on 98 college footballers, split into four treatment groups as follows (3):

* No creatine (control);
* Up to 6 months’ use;
* 7-12 months’ use;
* 13-21 months’ use.

The footballers in the three creatine groups were given 15.75g per day of creatine monohydrate for five days and an average of 5g per day thereafter. Urine and fasting blood samples were collected throughout the study to assess a wide range of metabolic parameters, clinical status and kidney function. Analysis of the results showed no measurable differences in metabolism or in kidney function between any of the groups.

Other studies on the link between creatine use and kidney damage have also drawn a blank, although most researchers have continued to advise against long-term creatine use by people with a history of kidney problems, because of the theoretical risks outlined above. Even for such individuals, though, there is little evidence that creatine use poses a risk in reality. Although no studies on long-term creatine use in kidney- impaired humans have been carried out, some animal studies have suggested that there is no risk to speak of.

Andrew Hamilton BSc, MRSC, trained as a chemist and is now a consultant to the fitness industry and an experienced science writer
References

1. Clin J Sport Med 1998; 8(4):298-304
2. Int J Sports Med 2005; 26(4):307-13
3. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 244(1-2):95-104
4. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2003; 18(2):258-64
5. Nutrition 2005; 21(3): 301-7
6. Med Hypotheses 2000; 54(5):726-8
7. Pharmacotherapy 2005; 25(5):762-4
8. J Appl Physiol 2004; 97(3):852-7

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Guys-
What is the time length really recomended to cycle off of creatine?
IMO, creatine should be used as a STAPLE for anyone doing resistance training (since resistance training is an anaerobic exercise, and creatine supplementation helps replenish the body's phosphocreatine stores).

Cycling creatine is a preference thing, since it does NOT have to be done (and I personally NEVER cycle it, but use it every day, resistance training or not).

The reason behind cycling may simply be to try and stimulate a greater effect, since if you cycle off, cycling back 'on' can almost cause the effect of a loading phase, where the goal is to increase the muscle creatine concentration by 20% from resting levels (Burke, et al., 2006; Harris, et al., 1992).

However, the muscles have a creatine threshold of ~150-160 mmol/kg dw. In the absence of supplementation (i.e. cycling off), the muscle creatine concentration returns to resting levels in 4-5 weeks (Burke, et al., 2006; Hultman, et al., 1996).

Most peole cycle creatine off for only 1-2 weeks; which is not effective at bringing their muscle creatine levels back to baseline. For those who DO cycle creatine, the most effective method would be to do 8-12 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

i asked a similar question a few days ago spotflex, and most people in the know explained that creatine doenst really need to be cycled.

here is the thread it might interest you:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/123507-creatine-during-bulk.html
I was going to say the same thing (information given above) :)

spotflex

Awards
Thanks everybody. I wasn't considering cycling because of adverse health concerns. I know you can safely take creatine for long periods of time, I was more trying to find out how long to get off of it in order to bring my body's sensitivity back to normal for it. I would just like to see the gains I made several years ago when i first began to take it. it seems like 4 weeks is the answer to that questions.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

elliotuk

elliotuk

Awards
I was more trying to find out how long to get off of it in order to bring my body's sensitivity back to normal for it.
In the absence of supplementation (i.e. cycling off), the muscle creatine concentration returns to resting levels in 4-5 weeks (Burke, et al., 2006; Hultman, et al., 1996).
anyway its pointless to do that you will not see any increase in gains from dropping creatine for a month. Everyone gains more to start off with and then it slows down, thats just howit is, nothing to do with your body getting used to the creatine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1
schroedes Supplements 33
Supplements 14
Supplement Logs 1
Supplements 10