MD Article-Fish Oil

footster

footster

Awards
I was reading the recent issue of MD and Steve Blechman said that fish oil doesnt lower cholesterol. I thought that was one of fish oils main purpose? I've had many customers says they have dropped considerable points with their cholesterol by taking fish oil. Kinda just made it seem fish oils were obselete and linoleic acid and arachidonic acid are the only essential fats.

Maybe I'm confused....any help?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
My mom's doctor said to discontinue the fish oil but to take flax oil because its less fat and/or cholesteral.

footster

footster

Awards
It's just weird because i thought fish oils were EFA but apparently there not. I know fish oils have some different benefits than flax, but I see what your saying.

javry

Awards
I was reading the recent issue of MD and Steve Blechman said that fish oil doesnt lower cholesterol. I thought that was one of fish oils main purpose? I've had many customers says they have dropped considerable points with their cholesterol by taking fish oil. Kinda just made it seem fish oils were obselete and linoleic acid and arachidonic acid are the only essential fats.

Maybe I'm confused....any help?
maybe he was just implying that it raises good cholestorol but doesn't lower any levels, good or bad, whatsoever. just a thought cuz i thought it was a generally accepted in the scientific community that healthy fats are great for cholesterol.

-my first year of college my main fat source was peanuts and fish, during that time i got bloodwork done for a class and my HDL/good cholesterol level was like 15 points above the max point range for (no risk for cardiovascular disease),

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Holly crap dude.

Well maybe the fish oil is ok for those of us working out and flax maybe for older folk. I'm gonna have to look further into this before I get a fish oil refill.