P90X/Bulking Suggestions

underboss22

Awards
Hey guys. I am going to be starting P90X in May and was wondering about suggestions anyone has. I am 6'4" and 190lbs. I was up to 205 but lost it all when I stopped lifting for way too long. I got myself back up to par and am ready to try P90X. I am going to try to bulk as much as I can during it so I'm aware my first step is going to be high carb/protein diet. I will be trying to consume at least 2- 2.5 grams per protein per lb. Also, I'm going to try to do more weight less reps during the workout.

I purchased Jack3d as a preworkout drink and haven't taken it yet. Should I take it before my workouts for P90X? I just got it so i'm not too sure about it I just know it had great reviews.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to creatine or any other supplements I could take? I have a cycle of havoc but I am not going to be taking that until i'm back at my peak. If anyone knows of any suggestions of a replacement that will help me I would appreciate it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
If you are going to try and bulk i would not suggest taking Jack3d pre w/o... The geranamine will kill your appetite afterwards

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
P90X isnt exactly a bulking type thing. Its a lot of cardio, circuits and bw/Db excercises. Some of its really fun though.

underboss22

Awards
I realize what p90x is. I'm an athlete looking to get back in peak shape and also want to bulk. My question is what other suggestions about the workout will help me reach that goal.

adross33

adross33

Awards
I just finished "trying" the same thing you are and I can tell you that P90X is outstanding .. hard as hell .. but not tended to bulk you .. in fact with all the push ups (pretty much all you'll do for chest mass) it tends to flatten out your pec's ... Tony Horton is a beast and this will get you ripped ... but it's time focused ... and while he suggests to use heavy DB's and lower rep's through out your lifting DVD's ... the program is more geared to attack your endurance (slow twitch) fibers ...

So can you bulk with just push ups? ... the pull-ups will add some size if you use a belt and strap some iron to yourself ... even the leg days are focused on keeping you moving, burning fat and attacking your will to hang on for 30 seconds .. I can still see him smiling ... "You can do anything for 30 seconds" ....

I had a decent base of mass and thought I'd give this a shot (borrowed the DVD's) and after 4 weeks noticed my body transformed ... but I did drop size ... It also jammed out my tri's and shoulders (which was great) ... but flatten out my pec's too much ... Which I would say came with decreased body fat etc ....

So, the other post is correct ... you can't expect much bulk with P90X ... forget the others who appear to have gained big mass in the 30 second spots or late night infomercial ... unless you strap something to your back during the push/pull days to max you out and tax your fast twitch fibers you won't "bulk" in the old fashion sense ... it will kick your ass and build you a great body ....

Don't get me wrong .. push ups are great and have their place in the gym and in building a better, stronger body ... I see so many clients that are big guys who can move plates, but fail a simple push up test ... moving iron vs body weight can be two very different things with very different results for each person ....

Think about ways to make your body work harder ... especially on the Chest and Leg days .... Hope this helps ... Oh and if the Plyo X fails to kill you ... the Yoga X will ... it's almost an hour and it is tough ...

adross33

adross33

Awards
Oh and my bad .. seeing how this is in the Supp portion of the board and not the work out section I can also assume your rally asking ... is there a plan of attack with the right supp's that will help you bulk with P90X??

Just eat a pile of calories and get ready to burn them off ... I don't even think with Test you would still add much "bulk" with P90X ... again .. as a trainer I can't see where you would get enough out of the Chest days to make this a good bulk program ...

Best of luck!

underboss22

Awards
do you think that I can use it as a getting in good shape for 90 days and then switch to bulk (gym and iron) after and get the best out of both worlds?

adross33

adross33

Awards
Absolutely .... Horton's program(s) are always tough and designed to overhaul your body ... it will build decent strength using your own body weight, speed up your body system and get your cardio pumpin' ....

I use some of the P90X for clients looking to switch things up for a few weeks before they go back to weights ... If you go through the full 90 Days and dedicate yourself (lets face it .. it's a full 5/6 days and some of the DVD's require an hour, plus the ab routine after ... not everyone has that kind of time or needs that kind of time to change their body ... ) you'll hit the gym like an animal .... I would then try a 5x5 program or an one of the many other popular mass routines from this community ....

Stipator

Stipator

Awards
I am in phase II of p90x. I am trying to gain some lean mass as well as get my endurance up. I am built like a bodybuilder/running back. The major difference between being in the gym and p90x is that I am always out of breath.
I currently am taking: Omega 3 fish Oil, Grape seed extract, Chromium, Co Q 10, Men’s Multi, & Vitamin C.
I just started taking USP Prime & I also really like Scivation Xtend during workouts.
I am trying to do a slow lean bulk with old fashioned oats as my primary carb source.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
the ultimate solution for 'how to bulk with p90x?' is....drop p90x for crossfit.

:lol: seriously, most people would love to be in p90x condition, but crossfit takes it to a whole different level in much less time. p90x is really inefficient.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
the ultimate solution for 'how to bulk with p90x?' is....drop p90x for crossfit.

:lol: seriously, most people would love to be in p90x condition, but crossfit takes it to a whole different level in much less time. p90x is really inefficient.
I completely second this... P90x will only take you so far in terms of athletic capability. CrossFit is far more well-rounded, and will include heavier weights which will in turn help bring you to the weight you want to be. At the very least, check it out... never in my life have I met someone who gave an honest shot to CrossFit and then turned in favor of P90x.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 4
swellsummer Training Forum 3
WILL DA BEAST Bulking 9
Bulking 3
ZeeAnderMan Bulking 16