Post-Work Out Shake after Cardio?

jdboucher

Awards
Do you drink a post workout shake after doing cardio alone?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i do but im no expert

UKStrength

Personally, I don't. I just try to do it close to next meal and eat that pretty much as soon as I finish the cardio.

Sometimes I'll have a scoop of whey if the meal's taking a while, but usually I won't bother.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sure - why wouldn't you? Still depleting glycogen - body needs something for recovery.

I usually wait 15min, then slam it down. Followed by a proper meal an hour or so later.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I lift for about 45mins then 15mins of high intensity cardio. After cardio I have my shake, and about 45mins - 1hour later I eat a normal meal

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
i dono how much glycogen is depleted during certain forms of cardio... depends on the cardio i would say
also if you had eaten fairly recently you might have more glucose in the blood

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on how your meals went that day. Let's say you had a few meals before you did your cardio then you should be fine to just eat a normal meal afterwards. On the other hand if you ate poorly that day you should get some nutrients in ASAP.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Is it empty stomach cardio? Also is your concern eating directly after in general or if it should be a whole food meal or shake?

Honestly its preference that should rule here in my opinion. I personally take in a whey shake with skim milk directly after fasted cardio with oatmeal since it is depleting glycogen stores to a further extent than fed lifting.

If you are worried about type (whole food vs whey) just go by convenience/preference. Some can't put down chicken/tuna after cardio, while some can. I like to have the whey shake and whole food meal about an hour directly after that (same protocol I use on lifting days)