Pearls of wisdom for capping?

tmilam

Awards
I recently bought a "000" capping kit from nutraplanet and I love the ability of being able to cap my supplements and save $$$, but my frustration levels have reached max levels on a couple of occasions last week and I'm wanting to avoid this if it is at all possible in the future. I've read that "000" capsules can hold roughly up to 1500 mg's of powder (depending on its density), but I can barely get more than 1000mg of any kind of powder in these caps, even very dense powders and that's with tamping multiple times to pack it as tightly as possible. Tamping often and with increased pressure has also caused me to "lose" a couple of batches due to some caps (full of powder) becoming dislodged and falling below the tray preventing me from being able to lower the top tray and finish capping the batch. This is where I about lost it as my patience was running thin.

I have a very accurate digital scale, and this is where I have another question--I bought bulk HMB powder from NP last year and it is 1000 mg/.25 tsp, but my scale is showing no where near this amount. I place exactly 50 gms of measured HMB powder on to the top tray and am barely able to get all the powder in to 50 caps, which is roughly 1 gm of HMB powder per capsule. Is this flawed math or am I missing something? I considered putting 1500 mg of HMB powder in each cap, but I can say with certainty that I have not been able to accomplish this yet. To say the least--I'm a bit confused and would love any great advice you fellow cappers could give.

Milam

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is possible that the density if a bit lower. I usually fit 1/4 tsp into a "00" cap. It sounds like only 1g of HMB will fit into a 000 cap. Also you shouldnt have to tamp so hard that you crack the caps; firm pressure, but don't go crazy. I haven't lost a cap yet, and I've done 1000s of 00 caps.

tmilam

Awards
I haven't cracked any capsules. Some just fell below the bottom of the top tray which kept me from being able to lower the top tray and put the top caps in place.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I've never had any problems when I'm capping w/ my cap em quick. The only thing that kinda upsets me is when the tops slip out of my hands when I'm putting them on. The will fly like half way across my room, and when I'm using the NOW clear ones sometimes I can't find them too quickly, lol

SamuraiSid

Awards
I suppose you guys buy your bulk powders at nutraplanet?

SamuraiSid

Awards
I see your a fellow canucklehead, steveo. Have you ever had any problems shipping large bags of white powder through the mail? Personally Id be nervous that customs would just toss them.

Also, I wonder how many orders Nutraplanet gets from Canada? If its lots they should get a warehouse racker up here... Im looking for a job *cough cough*

giantbrandon

Awards
  • Established
It is possible that the density if a bit lower. I usually fit 1/4 tsp into a "00" cap. It sounds like only 1g of HMB will fit into a 000 cap. Also you shouldnt have to tamp so hard that you crack the caps; firm pressure, but don't go crazy. I haven't lost a cap yet, and I've done 1000s of 00 caps.
ive never had a np 00 cap split, ive done over 2000 caps