Fish Oil And Heart Disease The Truth Is Out There

1. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Studies are being conducted regarding fish oil for numerous reasons. One among these and the most important is the study of the association between fish oil and its role in improving heart disease conditions.

As a matter of fact, organizations like the American Heart Association and Food and Drug Administration, have disclosed statements that indicated the benefits that the fish oil can offer to improve heart disease condition. It is also noted that Omega 3 fatty acids (from fish oil) offer possible benefits to recover from cardiovascular disease and coronary heart disease.

Omega 3 fatty acids are extracted from fish oil. Fish oil supplies both DHA and EPA and so are the finest resource of Omega 3 fatty acids. While, omega 3 fatty acids extracted from plants such as flaxseed do not meet this requirement.

Also, evidences have been found, indicating an association between fish oil and cholesterol. The studies also imply fish oil may be capable of lowering serum cholesterol levels in your body. Even though, it is still not evident and studies are still in their beginning stages, some researches hint that intake of fish oil can boost good cholesterol (HDL) and faintly decrease bad cholesterol (LDL) in some occurrences.

It is known that high levels of triglycerides can pose a considerable risk to those suffering with heart disease. Significantly, fish oil can lower the levels of triglyceride in your body, thus reducing the risk of heart disease.

Last but not the least, fish oil makes your blood thinner, thus helping blood to flow through arteries freely. Sometimes, people have a tendency to develop artery blockages that trigger heart attacks, as a result of a family history of heart disease. Fish oil with the capacity to thin blood, can be a blessing, and prevent clumping and sticking of blood.

On the other hand, if your doctor has already put you on aspirin or other anti-coagulants, to serve as blood thinners, then it is important to let your doctor know that you intend to take fish oil. It is not a good idea to decide on your own. Thinning your blood too much, may result in serious health conditions.

We have found a pure pharmaceutical grade, molecularly distilled fish oil product that is naturally high in DHA and EPA.

Coming from the Hoki Fish Located on the pristine southern coasts of New Zealand, where the waters are extremely low in pollution and toxins. Discover the best fish oil product on the market today and the one we ourselves personally use. We recommend you learn more: Omega 3 Fish Oil

Jean Helmet is one of the editors for a series of health sites, We offer a free health book for subscribers to our websites newsletter. We cover everything you need to know on nutrition, as well as omega 3 nutrition, and how to improve your general overall health. Check out our nutrition health book for more information on our free featured book.

By: Jean Helmet

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

Very nice post and damn true too. Fish oil is very beneficial for everyone.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

One thing I can say about fish oil is that I dfind myself in a better mood, better clarity if you will.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.46%

me too,i seem to have a better mood.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

On the biochemical front, researchers point out that cell membranes are made up partly of omega-3's. It is possible that increasing the omega-3 levels makes it easier for serotonin -- a chemical that carries messages from one brain cell to another -- to pass through cell membranes thus resulting in a better mood.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

20 caps of NP bulk fish oils a day does me fine
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%

Saw a program on omega 3 fish oil.
    Lots of good research and results from better concentration an better handwriting in schools. .The handwriting example was stunning!
    One teenager was so depressed they had to watch him all the time because he always tried to kill himself.
    After months on Omega 3 rich food and supplementing he had a much better view of life. still in problems but much improved.

The also took a graph of suicides in the world and the fish consuming in the countrys and found a clear evidence that the country with higest consume of fish had the lowest suicide rate.

There are lots of other benefits also, Keep fish oil a staple for well being and fine tuning hormonal levels and metabolism
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

Oh yeah I agree food can have an impact too. I mean one of my exes turns into a physco when shes starving
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.4%

I also saw a show where they gave taxi cab drivers in Brittan fish oils and natural fish for 3 months and there tempers ended up being very relaxed and not as easy to be pushed to the edge of snapping someone's neck as there were 3 months before on fish oils. I personally just started taking it so I will have to post about it later as for how it works for me.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

kool deal I saw a difference maybe less than 1 week to say or about.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.4%

started today or yesterday and i will see in a week.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

Ultra refined is so much better than the regular concentrate ... I absolutely spotted a difference within two - three weeks of changing mine to a more refined form of dha/epa. It cost more but it was well worth it.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%

Well I use the good old cheap fish oil from the supermarked in Norway. I know they have top notch production facilities.

My kids also take it
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.75%

Quote Originally Posted by treningsfrik75 View Post
    Well I use the good old cheap fish oil from the supermarked in Norway. I know they have top notch production facilities.

My kids also take it
    Some advocate a EPA/DHA profile of 1.8g/900mg
    I know Costco has its Kirkland brand which is cost effective but only carries a concentrate of 300mg per 1gram EPA/DHA, so it can only be, at best, 150mg/each, which is quite poor imho.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  15. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

You pay more for higher concentrations. NutraPlanets is cheaper per gram of EPA/DHA

Omega-3 (1000 capsules) is $27 - contains 300g of EPA/DHA at $0.09/g.

Carlson Labs, Super Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate, 1000 mg, 250 Soft Gels is ~ $37 - contains 125g of EPA/DHA at $0.29/g.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.4%

hahah hardknock that's the one im taking but taking 3 pills twice a day . so i figured it would make up the diffrence.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%

I have a question on this: I take 2g of cod liver oil every morning and have usually stayed away from most fish oil because when you look at the label it comes from a subpar source; i.e. a fish from indeterminate waters or lack of explanation of what processes produce the oil.

I would be happy to add more omega 3/6/9 oils to my diet (besides the coconut oil I already ingest), but I'm not sure how much is a good level to take...I remember sucking down tons of flax oil and udo's oil a long time ago but my perception of all this stuff is different now.

Any suggestions on a healthy range?
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.05%

Great article.

Didn't even know that company existed down here in NZ.

My last blood test showed I had high cholesterol and a bad HDL/LDL ratio.
    So as soon as I can afford it I'll get some Omega 3 DHA/ester and also try their Cholest-Natural product.

Thanks again for the article B
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.62%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I have a question on this: I take 2g of cod liver oil every morning and have usually stayed away from most fish oil because when you look at the label it comes from a subpar source; i.e. a fish from indeterminate waters or lack of explanation of what processes produce the oil.

I would be happy to add more omega 3/6/9 oils to my diet (besides the coconut oil I already ingest), but I'm not sure how much is a good level to take...I remember sucking down tons of flax oil and udo's oil a long time ago but my perception of all this stuff is different now.

Any suggestions on a healthy range?

I've actually been reading up/experimenting on this subject past few weeks.

Seems too much omega 3 is also bad for you, especially compared to your omega 6 intake. You need like 3:1 or 4:1 of omega-3 : omega-6.

A lot of articles are presuming you're eating a typical american diet with an abundance of omega-6, so boosting your omega-3 is a good thing in that case.

But what if your diet is not so abundant in omega-6 and you start mega-dosing omega-3. This probably is not a good thing..

If I have more time I can digup some articles of health problems associated with too high omega-3 intake compared to omega-6.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%

Quote Originally Posted by 1HP View Post
    I've actually been reading up/experimenting on this subject past few weeks.

Seems too much omega 3 is also bad for you, especially compared to your omega 6 intake. You need like 3:1 or 4:1 of omega-3 : omega-6.

A lot of articles are presuming you're eating a typical american diet with an abundance of omega-6, so boosting your omega-3 is a good thing in that case.

But what if your diet is not so abundant in omega-6 and you start mega-dosing omega-3. This probably is not a good thing..

If I have more time I can digup some articles of health problems associated with too high omega-3 intake compared to omega-6.
    Thanks. I really don't quite understand some of this yet, but I do know that taking the cod liver oil has really helped me. I started taking it actually to help my seasonal affective disorder; all the rain and cloudiness get to me after a while and it provides highly-bioavailable vitamin a, d & e. One of the unexpected side effects is that it makes my fingernails really damn strong; they almost never delaminate any more.
  21. lutherblsstt

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post

We have found a pure pharmaceutical grade, molecularly distilled fish oil product that is naturally high in DHA and EPA.

Coming from the Hoki Fish Located on the pristine southern coasts of New Zealand, where the waters are extremely low in pollution and toxins. Discover the best fish oil product on the market today and the one we ourselves personally use. We recommend you learn more: Omega 3 Fish Oil

Jean Helmet is one of the editors for a series of health sites, We offer a free health book for subscribers to our websites newsletter. We cover everything you need to know on nutrition, as well as omega 3 nutrition, and how to improve your general overall health. Check out our nutrition health book for more information on our free featured book.

By: Jean Helmet
    Great article! I agree on the mood enhancing properties. I used to just buy any fish oil until my friend who is an herbalist informed me that some brands may be contaminated with mercury. He recommended Nordic Naturals and I've used them ever since,the bolded parts are things he pointed out to me:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/index.php

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Abo...c_Naturals/86/

Fish oil quality standards do not exist in the United States. To ensure ongoing quality, Nordic Naturals adheres to and exceeds the stringent Norwegian Medicinal Standard (NMS) and the European Pharmacopoeia Standard (EPS) for all products. These standards guarantee quality products by setting maximum allowances on peroxides, heavy metals, dioxins, furans, and PCBs.

Nordic Naturals’ raw material is harvested from some of the cleanest waters in the world, and is tested by independent laboratories for heavy metals and over 210 other environmental contaminants.

http://www.omega-research.com/resear...&Submit=Search
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.97%

I did hear about that too about the mercury.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.93%

does anybody make fish oil in a bottle? i have been taking "cod liver oil" & apparently you can get too much vitamin A(& maybe D) doing this? i don't mind the taste at all personally. i've downed plenty of really horrific tasting supps over the years! i see some now that i know what to look for. i wonder if anything that states it's molecularly distilled is ok? is something like this a decent choice?

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2265
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.93%
  25. lutherblsstt

Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp View Post
    does anybody make fish oil in a bottle? i have been taking "cod liver oil" & apparently you can get too much vitamin A(& maybe D) doing this? i don't mind the taste at all personally. i've downed plenty of really horrific tasting supps over the years! i see some now that i know what to look for. i wonder if anything that states it's molecularly distilled is ok? is something like this a decent choice?

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2265
    http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...l?prodid=00205

Only cod fish caught during the winter and early spring are used, as the liver oil content is highest at this time of year. The oil is separated from the liver tissues without the use of chemicals. To insure freshness of Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, the air inside the glass bottle has been replaced with nitrogen.

THIS PRODUCT is regularly tested (using AOAC international protocols) for freshness, potency and purity by an independent, FDA-registered laboratory and has been determined to be fresh, fully potent and free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and 28 other contaminants.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%

not 100% on this, but I believe that the mercury content is not as much of a factor due to the extraction of the oil, not water-soluble extractions.

read it somewhere; but can't remember where.
  27. lutherblsstt

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    not 100% on this, but I believe that the mercury content is not as much of a factor due to the extraction of the oil, not water-soluble extractions.

read it somewhere; but can't remember where.
    I think you are right:

http://www.oilofpisces.com/mercury.html

"Dr. Bays also addressed the question, “Do prescription and/or supplement omega-3 fatty acid products contain excessive vitamin or toxins, such as mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, dioxin, or other contaminants, in sufficient concentrations to pose a potential health risk?” Again, his answer is negative.

This conclusion is largely based on a 2006 ConsumerLab evaluation of 42 commercially available fish oil supplements. All but two were found to contain the amount of EPA and DHA stated on the label, were free of mercury, PCBs and dioxins, and were not oxidized (rancid). Among the brands that passed the ConsumerLab evaluation were Carlson, Coromega, Metagenics, Nordic Naturals, Kirkland and Puritan Pride.

Dr. Bays cautions that a high fish oil intake through the consumption of large amounts of fish may present a risk for environmental toxin exposure, especially methylmercury, PCBs, organochlorine pesticides and dioxins. He points out that oxidized mercury is insoluble in oil, so would not be expected to represent a significant toxicity risk in fish oil supplements."
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.12%

Thanks for the legwork, I'm just too lazy these days to go searching for the answers. All I know is that taking 2g of the oil each morning I didn't suffer the same amount of SAD through the winter in the PNW; but some of that could have been attributed to riding my bicycle to work every day (highly recommend for those of you who aren't averse to a little extra cardio; really helps regulate blood sugar through the day).
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.99%

i eat alot of fish .... i should cut down lol

Similar Forum Threads

1. Heal Heart Disease With Vitamin B12
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
  2. Cholesterol and heart disease ... wrong?
    By phaeton66 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
  3. Discrimination may increase heart disease risk
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 03:37 AM
  4. L-arginine and heart disease
    By MadJimF in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
  5. Red Meat and Coronary Heart Disease