protein powder ok for 10 yr old?

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My son really enjoys the taste of my protein. He could stand to gain a few pounds also. My wife is worried but I told her its just protein. Its ON gold standard. This is fine correct? I would like to give him just a scoop a day.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
He needs amino acids. That is the building blocks to your body.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Yep that would be completely fine! Better for him than nesquick, thats for sure.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it :)

PhysiqueFreak

PhysiqueFreak

Awards
  • Established
Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
yeah it should be okay.

i know some parents who started giving their kids bcaa's and protein when we were playing peewee football. this is one of em now and we're both 19

although i just hung out with him and i'm pretty sure he's gotten into ph's

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!
This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...
Yes this would be just supplementation between meals or after sports practice.

Thanks guys.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't give him more the 15 g from a shake a witha meal (like breakfast) or pre bed. Heat it up it taste like hot cocoa

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...
He's a thin kid, maybe 50 pounds. I was just like him growing up. I could eat all I wanted and never gained weight. This is just for in between meals, nothing more.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
sounds good. my son drinks my protein when i'm not looking, and he's very strong for his size and age.

qwick

Awards
i hear horse vitamins can help to =)

jk

wish i had some protein powder when i was 10 =/

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Only problem I see is the strain on the kidneys. Make sure he's drinking plenty of fluid if you want to supplement him with protein.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beats drinking soda for sure.

steam

steam

Awards
  • Established
i have a kid here who loves drinking my whey shakes and xtend...

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!
I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk:fing02:

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk:fing02:
Sounds like you are doing it the right way I love to hear that.. mix it in chocolate sounds good right now I am mixing mine right now!!!!!

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it :)
Awww Easy thats no fun!!

I wish my parents had been that cool to give me protein shakes haha they taaught me too eat pretty healthy and no real pop, until i was older and they started giving in to my younger brother.

My favorite thing is to this day my mom questions my protein shakes safety, but has no problem buying my brother up those boxed Hungry Man dinners when he is back from collehe...."Now with 1 whole pound of food!! "(Usually about 1000 calories and huge sodium and fat content). Oh well :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Healthier than alot of the sugar laden drinks kids consume.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
better to use cottage cheese or milk as the example.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Thats a very good point. I will do that. Thanks.

Broodstar

Broodstar

Awards
  • Established
Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!
Agreed. My ex's son was 7 and I picked up some premade shakes at the Vitaminshoppe one day and he wanted the cookies and cream lol and he actually liked it. It was I beleived it may be one of cytosports but hell yeah its better than Nesquik garbage.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.
exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
lol...

My son, 17 months old, will take a sip or two of my chocolate mint muscle milk shakes, and begs me for more, but I won't give him anymore....THAT'S MY PROTEIN. lol

he's kinda young, yes...but it won't hurt him

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!
phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.
i know...thats why i have to eat 4 at a time:D

on a serious note i also see it like this...he's also gonna think that jug of protein is the cookie jar...1 could easily turn into 5 if you don't watch it! also as mentioned he should be getting enough through everyday nutrition but that's not the subject imo!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7