Glutamine and the Brain

  1. New Member
    Predaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    126
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    29.65%

    Glutamine and the Brain


    Do large doses of glutamine have any positive/negative nootropic effects?

  2. New Member
    repmks's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    380
    Rep Power
    269
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.18%

    idk but there are some people on youtube claiming it is toxic. like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExyNf3u7iQg"]YouTube - Why " MUSCLE MILK " Is A Neuro-Toxic Soup Of Processed Crap! ufc wec mma[/ame]


    i think this guy doesn't what he is talking about. i hope someone has more to add on this topic since we consume mass amounts of glatamic acid via protein shakes.
  3. Senior Member
    FlexW99's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,795
    Rep Power
    1099
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Like I mentioned in another post: I don't 'feel' any difference on it or off it. I still take it since its been a staple of mine for years. I ingest 10g/day.

    I dont buy the neuro-toxicity complaint, in fact, that guy needs to drink some muscle milk and put some mass on those bones.

    It can't be more toxic than people who ingest pills everyday, or drink high levels of alchohol; I'd be more concerned about the latter than L-Glutamine.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Predaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    126
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    29.65%

    What if you took 50g?
  5. Senior Member
    FlexW99's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,795
    Rep Power
    1099
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Predaking View Post
    What if you took 50g?
    I dunno. I would think that, like anything else, if your body doesn't need it, it excretes it through urine.

    50G day is overkill if your natural. I would think bodyweight or more specifically muscleweight would also be a factor.

    This is just a hunch, I have no proof or backup.
  6. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2669
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Glutamine is only going to produce a noticeable nootropic if your are deficient in glutamate. Since Glutamate is the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in humans, it is doubtful that you are going to be deficient. If your looking for a nootropic boost from the glutamine family, check out pyroglutamic acid. It helps increase oxygen in the brain and preserves the brains stores of ACh.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  7. Senior Member
    FlexW99's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,795
    Rep Power
    1099
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    16.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Glutamine is only going to produce a noticeable nootropic if your are deficient in glutamate. Since Glutamate is the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in humans, it is doubtful that you are going to be deficient. If your looking for a nootropic boost from the glutamine family, check out pyroglutamic acid. It helps increase oxygen in the brain and preserves the brains stores of ACh.
    What he said! lol

    :dl:
  8. New Member
    cmc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    15.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by repmks View Post
    idk but there are some people on youtube claiming it is toxic. like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExyNf3u7iQg


    i think this guy doesn't what he is talking about. i hope someone has more to add on this topic since we consume mass amounts of glatamic acid via protein shakes.
    I made a post about this not to long ago, not sure what forum topic it was under. I havnt watched the vid yet but what i had posted was in reference to glutamine. Dr. Colgan of the Colgan Institute (google them) has found out that if you use glutamine, you are whacking your body with ammonia. Dry glutamine powder degrades into ammonia and pyroglutamic acid, wehther absorbed into a liquid solution and even in your stomach. Thats it in a nutshell. Instead, use ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate. Both are ammonia scavengers and will produce a readily supply of glutamine within the body.

    Im sure there may be opposing articles out there yet the Colgan Institute has been testing athletes for many years along with all forms of nutrition and supplements.
  9. Senior Member
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    665
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    62.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cmc View Post
    I made a post about this not to long ago, not sure what forum topic it was under. I havnt watched the vid yet but what i had posted was in reference to glutamine. Dr. Colgan of the Colgan Institute (google them) has found out that if you use glutamine, you are whacking your body with ammonia. Dry glutamine powder degrades into ammonia and pyroglutamic acid, wehther absorbed into a liquid solution and even in your stomach. Thats it in a nutshell. Instead, use ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate. Both are ammonia scavengers and will produce a readily supply of glutamine within the body.

    Im sure there may be opposing articles out there yet the Colgan Institute has been testing athletes for many years along with all forms of nutrition and supplements.
    So to sum it up, use ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate. Could you elaborate as far as dosages and the exact differences between the two. I mean should they only be used together, are they worth doubling up? Is taking one just fine? I realize thats a lot of questions but you seem you know your buisness.
  10. New Member
    cmc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    15.8%

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    So to sum it up, use ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate. Could you elaborate as far as dosages and the exact differences between the two. I mean should they only be used together, are they worth doubling up? Is taking one just fine? I realize thats a lot of questions but you seem you know your buisness.
    The info I gave you was from a nutrition book that I have, I only know what I read..lol. Let me take a gander and report back. Ok..it states that for maximum anabolism, each meal should include 2-4 grams of ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate. In addition, each post exercise meal should include 2-4 grams of ketoisocaproate.

    The combination of ketoisocaproate form of leucine with the ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate forms or ornithine and glutamine should provide the most anabolicand anti catabolic mix of these amino acids known to science (the book is a few years old but solid--keep that in mind).

    If I can find a scanner in the next few days or week..Ill scan the few pages and upload them. It does go into great detail, Ill see what I can do to get this info up here. Im not a great typer....lol.

    Maybe try googling or searching some stores for those forms and see what you can come up with.
  11. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    34858
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    91.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Some people are more sensitive to MSG or processed gluten than others. I myself am very sensitive and will have panic attacks if I have processed gluten. Ibuprofen I read blocks gluten toxicity, so that's what I use when I have an attack. I really works for the headaches. There is a ton of info on this topic at thetruthinlabeling.org. They even had a 60 minutes segment on msg (same thing as processed unbound gluten) in 1994 or 92 cant remember the year. it's on youtube and i posted it in another topic awhile ago.
  12. NutraPlanet Rep
    MrBigPR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,619
    Rep Power
    5555
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    87.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by FlexW99 View Post
    Like I mentioned in another post: I don't 'feel' any difference on it or off it. I still take it since its been a staple of mine for years. I ingest 10g/day.

    I dont buy the neuro-toxicity complaint, in fact, that guy needs to drink some muscle milk and put some mass on those bones.

    It can't be more toxic than people who ingest pills everyday, or drink high levels of alchohol; I'd be more concerned about the latter than L-Glutamine.
    Why do you still take it if you dont "feel" any different on or off? Seems like a waste of money to me. Especially when you can get Glutamine in ON whey protein and Xtend.
  13. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    55.15%

    interesting


    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Glutamine is only going to produce a noticeable nootropic if your are deficient in glutamate. Since Glutamate is the most abundant excitatory neurotransmitter in humans, it is doubtful that you are going to be deficient. If your looking for a nootropic boost from the glutamine family, check out pyroglutamic acid. It helps increase oxygen in the brain and preserves the brains stores of ACh.
    wikipedia gave me the following when i instinctively typed in "ach brain" into google lol:
    "The chemical compound acetylcholine (often abbreviated ACh) is a neurotransmitter in both the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and central nervous system (CNS) in many organisms including humans. Acetylcholine is one of many neurotransmitters in the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and the only neurotransmitter used in the somatic nervous system. It is also the neurotransmitter in all autonomic ganglia."

    i, however, made no sense of it
  14. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2669
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Alright,simply Acetylcholine is released by your nerves to tell your muscles to contract. In the brain it is believed to be important for learning and memory among other things.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  15. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    55.15%

    can it be supplemented?
    if it can be, it sounds risky at best
  16. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2669
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by allstar504448 View Post
    can it be supplemented?
    if it can be, it sounds risky at best
    You can supplement with choline, but your body limits the amount of Ach by preventing uptaking of the choline into your nerves. Its only going to make a difference if your deficient or possibly if you are in a situation where you need higher amounts of choline to synthesize into Ach. Ach is made from dietary choline intake and B-5 (I believe) so its not like its some crazy chemical that you can only get by injecting it in you @ss lol. How does it sound risky to you? I should also mention that once Ach binds with protein receptor at the muscular nerve it is broken down by acetylcholinesterase AchE, so the only thing that would be risky IMO is taking a AchE inhibitor (which I don't think anyone is going to do) If you ever want to see the effects of an AchE inhibitor, spray DDT bug spray on an insect. You will notice the bug tenses up completely and then dies, thanks to all that Ach not being broken down.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  17. New Member
    allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    140
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    55.15%

    i have nooooooooooooo knowledge at all on the subject, just when it comes to dealing with the brain i'm a little hesistant is all. i dont think im deficient, so ill definitely avoid this deal
  18. New Member
    immastBreesee's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    48
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    41.1%

    Adler отдых


    Сдаются комнаты в Адлере
    <a href=namore land ru>гостиница адлер аэропорт</a>
    namore land ru]адлер совхоз частный сектор
    namore land ru - отдых в адлере снять квартиру
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM
  2. If I Only Had A Brain!
    By David Dunn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
  3. I Have Brain Eating Bugs In My Brain !!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
  4. n-acetyl-l-glutamine vs. glutamine peptides
    By biggun2181 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 08:05 PM
  5. where can i buy a brain?
    By mattcc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in