High Dose ALCAR

Ddono25

Awards
What is the highest dosing of Acetyl L-Carnitine anyone has done? What was the dosage, how long did you run it, what were the effect?

I was going to be adding 100 grams of ALCAR to a 90 serving tub of Xtend, and I usually take 3 servings of Xtend a day, 2 before a workout or first in the morning and usually one later in the day when I am in between meals. So in theory I will be taking in a little over 2 grams before a workout or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Safe/Unsafe? Would it work well for fat-burning (main goal) or would it just be too much? Thanks in advance for the help.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran 3 grams ED for a month. Studies out there say at that dose it increases Testosterone levels.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually it decreases testosterone levels :D but not by inhibiting, instead by increasing sensitivity of androgen receptors so your body uses more of the testosterone.

I've used it as high as 15g a day, its safe at that

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ALC also prevents the drop in testosterone caused by physical and mental stress (such as exercise and a low-calorie diet) due to it's suppressing effect on cortisol levels, the hormone that breaks down muscle tissue! A bodybuilders nightmare.

Studies show that ALC promotes the growth and activity of cells in the brain responsible for producing hormones that activate testosterone production [1]. More interesting still, research presented at the 25th National Strength and Conditioning Association conference shows that ALC (2 grams daily) is highly effective for increasing testosterone levels. It can also have a positive effect on the testes [2], aiding men and bodybuilders in post cycle recovery.

What's more, ALC (2 grams daily) has also been shown to reduce muscle damage, while reducing soreness [3]. A trial published in the American Journal of Physiology shows that muscle "disruption" several days after exercise was reduced by almost 50% when ALC was used [4]. Several other markers of muscle damage were also reduced with the researchers concluding that ALC results in "... less accumulation of markers of purine degradation, free radical formation, tissue damage, and muscle soreness."

Carnitine and its esters prevent toxic accumulations of fatty acids and acyl CoA (in the cytoplasm and mitochondria, respectively) while providing acetyl CoA for energy generation in the mitochondria.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its great stuff for sure. a lot of the studies were done with l-carnitine tartrate (or carnipure as a brand name), ALCAR works the same though

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I got some carnipure for dirt cheap, I will be using that next time at 2grams a day.

Ddono25

Awards
Actually it decreases testosterone levels :D but not by inhibiting, instead by increasing sensitivity of androgen receptors so your body uses more of the testosterone.

I've used it as high as 15g a day, its safe at that

Holy S 15 grams a day? What were the effects for you at that dosage?

Was there a difference if any between 3 to 5 grams? Or 5 to 15 grams? How long did you dose it and what were the results that you can attribute to the ALCAR?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i can't attrribute much directly to it, as it wasn't the only new thing I was taking. I did feel good and energized and if I recall correctly DOMS were low. I have a few hundred grams here, was thinking about starting that up again actually :D but as per usual being an SJA member i'm taking so much other stuff its hard to tell whats good for what.

supplement junkies of america btw :D

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i can't attrribute much directly to it, as it wasn't the only new thing I was taking. I did feel good and energized and if I recall correctly DOMS were low. I have a few hundred grams here, was thinking about starting that up again actually :D but as per usual being an SJA member i'm taking so much other stuff its hard to tell whats good for what.

supplement junkies of america btw :D
Word ;)

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't megadosing ALCAR increase free radicals?

MrJingles33

Awards
What is the highest dosing of Acetyl L-Carnitine anyone has done? What was the dosage, how long did you run it, what were the effect?

I was going to be adding 100 grams of ALCAR to a 90 serving tub of Xtend, and I usually take 3 servings of Xtend a day, 2 before a workout or first in the morning and usually one later in the day when I am in between meals. So in theory I will be taking in a little over 2 grams before a workout or first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Safe/Unsafe? Would it work well for fat-burning (main goal) or would it just be too much? Thanks in advance for the help.
yes sir.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heh, SJA = St. John's Ambulance , so I was confused for a second :)

At 15g , I'd be a bit worried about oxidation; we're you high dosing ALA, Green Tea, Grapeseed, etc?
yep, vitamin c, vitamin e, green tea, resveratrol, the works :)

woolbeo

Awards
I've gon as high as 4.5g/day with loads of anti o's. Anything over 1/g preworkout and I feel like crap during my workout: drained, no energy, burning, etc.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've gon as high as 4.5g/day with loads of anti o's. Anything over 1/g preworkout and I feel like crap during my workout: drained, no energy, burning, etc.
really? damn, I was mixing 5g in with my preworkout drink, I think I was adding it to ragnarok or WTF Pumped :D