Post-workout myths

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
This article came from T-nation.com and is entitled the top 10 post workout Nutrition myths. Now reading over this article it contradicts some things i've been taught. It contradicts many things a lot of people are doing post workout and have been doing for decades.. Wanted some opinions on this article. BS or legit?

My personal opinion is that pre-workout nutrition is more important then post because you gotta have a good workout to break down that muscle tissue. Poor workouts= bad results. Gotta have the energy and can't have a low glycogen store. Break down the muscle tissue and protein synthesis will begin no matter what. Some thoughts?

T-Nation.com | Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
This article came from T-nation.com and is entitled the top 10 post workout Nutrition myths. Now reading over this article it contradicts some things i've been taught. It contradicts many things a lot of people are doing post workout and have been doing for decades.. Wanted some opinions on this article. BS or legit?

My personal opinion is that pre-workout nutrition is more important then post because you gotta have a good workout to break down that muscle tissue. Poor workouts= bad results. Gotta have the energy and can't have a low glycogen store. Break down the muscle tissue and protein synthesis will begin no matter what. Some thoughts?
Disagree with alot of the principles in that article. PostW is more important to me.

However, I will say, certain drugs at certain times could drive nutrients into the muscle no matter what time it is, pre or post.

Shatter

Shatter

Awards
The pre-workout being more important than post-workout just seems like common-sense to me. Why would you wait until AFTER you've finished to ingest adequate carbs and proteins, when you have adequate flow before and during? It just seems like you're putting everything back an hour? Having said that, that's just my intuition and bodybuilding is often counter-intuitive!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
my strength and sometimes reps drop by 10% or more when i choose not to take my preworkout shake. lifting 10% or more on any given day IMO would have a huge impact on gains, but that's just my opinion :)

Rah22491

Awards
I dont kno there are so many ideas out there who knos what to believe. How long do you guys wait to drink your shakes? And how long do you wait between post wo shake and next meal? I personally wait 20 min shake then 45-1hour have a solid meal, but according to this article thats not right

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Different strokes different folks. I don't always consume carbs pre workout my glycogen stores are more then full from eating carbs all day long why ingest more to work them off? Ill eat carbs pre workout a lot of the time but its because my sched is spuratic

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
The pre-workout being more important than post-workout just seems like common-sense to me. Why would you wait until AFTER you've finished to ingest adequate carbs and proteins, when you have adequate flow before and during? It just seems like you're putting everything back an hour? Having said that, that's just my intuition and bodybuilding is often counter-intuitive![/QUOTE

Completely agree... by having adequate amounts of aminos and sugar already in your system your workouts will be strong and muscle loss will be minimum. That's what is most important.. then just make sure you eat your regular meals and keep protein up.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Different strokes different folks. I don't always consume carbs pre workout my glycogen stores are more then full from eating carbs all day long why ingest more to work them off? Ill eat carbs pre workout a lot of the time but its because my sched is spuratic

Then there would be no need for them. I workout mid day when my sugar is not quite at a peaked level yet. I gotta have atleast 2 large meals before I workout to feel good.. so what I do is when I can't get up early and eat those meals.. the pre-workout shake of carbs, protein or bcaa's makes a massive difference. I can't lift without it. If glycogen stores are good then no need for it. Some essential aminos or bcaa's during your workouts might help with recovery though.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
yea I think it all depends on when you train and what your goals are me I workout first thing AM so I get my oats and whey pre and post then.... well.. eat all day lol.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
this is why I can't workout in the morning...not enough glycogen to really hit the weights with authority!

need the energy to really get things moving, I do think a lot about recovery after training though. when it comes down to it...just EAT!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Delsol. If u think about it if u eat 300g of carbs a day you still have enough carbs for the next day even in the morning to lift

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Delsol. If u think about it if u eat 300g of carbs a day you still have enough carbs for the next day even in the morning to lift

one would think, but it doesn't work out that way for me...even when I'm eating to bulk I can't get enough energy in the morning to pull off a real workout.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
this is why I can't workout in the morning...not enough glycogen to really hit the weights with authority!

need the energy to really get things moving, I do think a lot about recovery after training though. when it comes down to it...just EAT!
I can't do it either. My body quickly depletes sugar. I have to constantly feed to keep my glycogen levels up. Lifts for me are best mid day to evening but forget cardio at night.. I won't be able to sleep. And if I eat a big meal before I go to bed that will keep me up at night and still have low sugar in the morning. It takes me hours to get going in the morning. If I miss my cup of oats.. I feel crappy. You'd think I have a fast metabolism or have low body fat with the way my body depletes sugar but I don't. I have to keep my glycogen system at a optimal level to have the energy to have the workouts to burn fat.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think that may just have to do with elevated cortisol levels in the morning and an elevated neuropeptide y that makes u want to eat them in the morning

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Depending how you look at it, post-workout drink can essentially be called pre-workout (to your, well, next workout) drink.

All I know is, after my workouts, im beat. REAL BEAT, and usually hungry. I usually get my simple carbs in 50-60G within 30 mins...curbs the hunger. ~1 later I eat a solid meal.

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
the only thing i agree with is pre workout is more important than post workout but i personaly do both 30g waxy maize/15grams aminos pre and 60g waxy maize/ 50g whey post

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
to some up the article....

Ten Take Home Points

—glycogen restoration is all too easy to achieve and may not be as critical as once thought

—protein synthesis needs to be the focus of our recovery intervention

—pre-workout meals actually enhance muscle blood flow and nutrient delivery during exercise

—pre-workout meals, nocturnal feeding, and multiple post workout drinks are more beneficial than a single post workout drink

—the "post workout window" lasts at least 24 hours

—consuming a protein shake immediately after training hinders optimal results

—strength training acutely enhances insulin sensitivity for at least 24 hours

—whey protein is generally only moderate speed, while whey hydrolysate and pure amino acids are "fast"

—antioxidants taken after exercise may increase muscle damage and delay recovery

—aspirin and ibuprofen can prevent the exercise-induced elevation in muscle protein synthesis thus hindering growth and prolonging recovery

bradencarn

Awards
i feel that post is more important because to me a pre is all in your head, eat some eggs, fish for breakfast, youl get enough carbs/nutrients for a solid workout without the Name Bran cafiene fueled pill

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
i feel that post is more important because to me a pre is all in your head, eat some eggs, fish for breakfast, youl get enough carbs/nutrients for a solid workout without the Name Bran cafiene fueled pill
you eat eggs and fish for breakfast?

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Very true. Unless you are doing some kind of aerobic cross-fit resistance training with high reps, high intensity, and short rest intervals that will deplete your glycogen stores (which most of us aren't), replinishing glycogen after a workout is not a high priority. It would be necessary in the case I mentioned above to prevent muscle breakdown after glycogen and fat have been used for energy.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
"Additionally, the traditionally referenced Esmark et al. (2001), study showed that consuming the post workout meal just 2 hours after working out actually prevented any improvements induced by the training! Figure that one out and you get a prize."

"Any improvements" is a bit exaggerated. You may not reap as many benefits as you would if you waited until later, but if this held true, I wouldn't have produced any gains in the past year I've been lifting (which I have) because I drink a whey shake immediately after training every time- figure that one out

I doubt I will change that habit, regardless of this guy's research from his one, so called "underrated" source

cloc

cloc

Awards
  • Established
replenishing glycogen is not the only use of carbs post workout what about spiking insulin to drive nutrients into the muscles which are would be able to take in more nutrients post workout due to more blood flow/dilation of blood vessels

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
replenishing glycogen is not the only use of carbs post workout what about spiking insulin to drive nutrients into the muscles which are would be able to take in more nutrients post workout due to more blood flow/dilation of blood vessels
I agree with this, but I think insulin sensitivity is more important than an insulin spike which is just a tall peak with narrow base.