For those who workout in the AM, fasted...

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Do you take anything like Xtend before/during your workout?

I've been doing fasted workouts for about a month now, and am LOVING the fat loss I'm achieving. Will the addition of BCAAs before/during training affect fat loss to any significant degree?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I always use BCAAs before and during fasted AM cardio and love it...hasn't negatively impacted my fat loss at all...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are you also doing a keto diet in general? then bcaas could kick you out. Might want to give 10g leucine a shot

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
I'm going to start doing fasting cardio in the mornings 4-5 days a week so I'm not doing it close to the same time I'm lifting, to help lean out, and have more positive lean gains as well, since spring time is right around the corner. My only problem is getting up early enough to be to work on time at 8am....haha.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
are you also doing a keto diet in general? then bcaas could kick you out. Might want to give 10g leucine a shot
No sir!

If I do go with Xtend, I'll also supplement it with Leucine.

I'm thinking 4 scoops Xtend all-together before/during workout, along with 10g leucine.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
are you using any thermo/fat burner product during your a.m. cardio?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been doing mine with nothing other than 2tbsp of Udos 369 mornings :p

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I keep finding it just about to go out of date at vitamin shoppe stores, and I cant resist it at half off :)

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I believe valine is glucogenic...

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I believe valine is glucogenic...
I didn't realize that. I have stayed in keto while using the BCAA's thus far, I guess I am burning them adequately during training.

I am going to have to experiment a bit. I don't mind a little glucose while I am lifting, but I would prefer to be significantly depleated during cardio.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is alanine that is involved in the gluconeogenic cycle, and is actually reductively animated from a pyruvate molecule - that particular process is bi-directional as well. This being said, the body can synthesize alanine from isoleucine, leucine and valine in conditions of hyperaminoacidemia. The key is timing with BCAAs, as dosing during the protein refractory period will lead to [possibly] gluconeogenesis in times of 'over-intake'. Much like many things, timing is key.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
It is alanine that is involved in the gluconeogenic cycle, and is actually reductively animated from a pyruvate molecule - that particular process is bi-directional as well. This being said, the body can synthesize alanine from isoleucine, leucine and valine in conditions of hyperaminoacidemia. The key is timing with BCAAs, as dosing during the protein refractory period will lead to [possibly] gluconeogenesis in times of 'over-intake'. Much like many things, timing is key.

Actually, there are many more than just alanine that is glucogenic. However, taking leucine has been shown time and time again to increase protein synthesis.

When I do my morning cardio, I like to do it completely fasted and then have the shake within 2 minutes of ending my cardio. I'm literally filling it up as soon as I step off the treadmill, still dripping in sweat. If you give the body aminos to burn, it will preferentially use them in my opinion. You won't burn enough muscle in 30 min to justify the fat loss. I say unless you're lifting, fasted cardio is the way to do it.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I lift and do my cardio in the morning.

Generally I will eat a few slices of smoked turkey on the way to the gym. Right before I work out I take my beta-alanine, creatine mono cocktail, and during training I sip on my BCAA's.

After training I take my whey protein, before starting cardio. Do you think I would be able to get away with taking the whey after cardio, or am I running the risk of going catabolic?

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
No sir!

If I do go with Xtend, I'll also supplement it with Leucine.

I'm thinking 4 scoops Xtend all-together before/during workout, along with 10g leucine.

if u do this then your body will use them as fuel insted of using fat when ur fastd

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Based on the studies I've read, sipping the BCAA during the workout should keep you pretty anabolic. There haven't been many studies which look at BCAA consumption in a low carb diet so I can't really say for sure. The most important thing to do in my opinion is whatever works for you. Take the whey if your stomach allows, wait if it doesn't. Some people can't do cardio with a belly full of liquid, me being one of them. I usually don't even drink water during cardio, just about 4-8 oz before and a ton after.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, there are many more than just alanine that is glucogenic. However, taking leucine has been shown time and time again to increase protein synthesis.

When I do my morning cardio, I like to do it completely fasted and then have the shake within 2 minutes of ending my cardio. I'm literally filling it up as soon as I step off the treadmill, still dripping in sweat. If you give the body aminos to burn, it will preferentially use them in my opinion. You won't burn enough muscle in 30 min to justify the fat loss. I say unless you're lifting, fasted cardio is the way to do it.
No, it is just Alanine. Alanine is reductively animated to a pyruvate molecule, which is then carboxylated and the glyoclytic pathway begins. Alanine can be biosynthesized from leucine, isoleucine, and valine, however, particularly in times of hyperaminoacidemia.

I think you may have misunderstood the concept of 'refractory period' as well. Studies show that past a certain point, even with continual infusion of EAA/BCAA complexes, serum amino levels will increase while protein synthesis stagnates.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on the studies I've read, sipping the BCAA during the workout should keep you pretty anabolic. There haven't been many studies which look at BCAA consumption in a low carb diet so I can't really say for sure. The most important thing to do in my opinion is whatever works for you. Take the whey if your stomach allows, wait if it doesn't. Some people can't do cardio with a belly full of liquid, me being one of them. I usually don't even drink water during cardio, just about 4-8 oz before and a ton after.
Not to nitpick on your posts too much, but the vast majority of BCAA studies are done on empty stomachs and/or post 12-24h fasts, due to the fragility of testing.

One merely needs to look in the materials/methods portion of most BCAA clinical trials.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suppose I should clarify. All amino [except Leucine and Lysine] acids can be deaminated to form intermediates of the Krebs/TCA cycle to varying degrees, and can therefore be translated into pyruvate. Pyruvate is then transanimated to form Alanine, carried to the liver, and begins the gluconeogenesis pathway. However, Alanine is the only amino acid which converts directly to glucose [obviously, via several hexokinase reactions].

Studies which display gluconeogenesis from AAs are saying that the AAs were first degraded to form intermediates in the TCA, then pyruvate, and then Alanine which is carried to the liver. Alanine is the source of AA-induced serum glucose increases via the Alanine-Pyruvate-Glucose transanimation pathway.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
A glucogenic amino acid is one that can be turned in to glucose through gluconeogenesis. There are many more than just alanine.

Also, a low carb diet where the body is in ketosis is greatly different than empty stomach or fasted state. I have read all the same studies. I said the studies don't look at low carb diet with BCAA consumption. Please don't twist things.

I do agree that timing is key though. Thats why I've said consuming before a workout on an empty stomach isn't the best idea.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I suppose I should clarify. All amino [except Leucine and Lysine] acids can be deaminated to form intermediates of the Krebs/TCA cycle to varying degrees, and can therefore be translated into pyruvate. Pyruvate is then transanimated to form Alanine, carried to the liver, and begins the gluconeogenesis pathway. However, Alanine is the only amino acid which converts directly to glucose [obviously, via several hexokinase reactions].

Studies which display gluconeogenesis from AAs are saying that the AAs were first degraded to form intermediates in the TCA, then pyruvate, and then Alanine which is carried to the liver. Alanine is the source of AA-induced serum glucose increases via the Alanine-Pyruvate-Glucose transanimation pathway.
Agree. But in a low carb or fasted environment, many aminos will be broken down in to TCA intermediates due to the lack of available substrates. Once that happens, they can undergo transaminations/deaminations to get to glucose. I really think we're saying the same thing in different words and misunderstanding each other.

On another note, if anyone would be interested in starting a weekly discussion of some exercise physiology/nutrition scientific article, PM me. I've been dying to discuss the actual science behind these things and it seems this board has a LOT of scientific, knowledgeable people.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad you guys chimed up...I was a little foggy on this subject myself...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A glucogenic amino acid is one that can be turned in to glucose through gluconeogenesis. There are many more than just alanine.
A glucogenic amino acid [there are 13, including 5 which are both ketogenic and glucogenic] is an amino acid which can have its carbon skeleton removed to form intermediates in the Krebs/TCA Cycle [primarily pyruvate]. As I said previously:

All amino [except Leucine and Lysine] acids can be deaminated to form intermediates of the Krebs/TCA cycle to varying degrees, and can therefore be translated into pyruvate.
Alanine is the only amino acid which converts directly to glucose through transanimation/deanimation in the liver.

Also, a low carb diet where the body is in ketosis is greatly different than empty stomach or fasted state. I have read all the same studies. I said the studies don't look at low carb diet with BCAA consumption. Please don't twist things.
Incorrect. A ketogenic diet is merely a state of chronic glucose depravation whereby the body positions fatty acids [triglycerides, to be more specific] as the primary oxidative substrate and the production of ketone bodies ensues - in fact, this same hydrolyzation occurs in transient fasted-state training due to the upregulation of certain fat metabolic proteins. There is a vast amount of research I have placed on this board to verify this.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree. But in a low carb or fasted environment, many aminos will be broken down in to TCA intermediates due to the lack of available substrates. Once that happens, they can undergo transaminations/deaminations to get to glucose. I really think we're saying the same thing in different words and misunderstanding each other.
Quite true, which is what I said previously. Alanine is the only amino which undergoes direct conversion.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do agree that timing is key though. Thats why I've said consuming before a workout on an empty stomach isn't the best idea.
timing as well as quantity. taking 5g of bcaas is quite different than 20g. I'm still not 100% sure on how anabolic using BCAAs is because although they do increase short term anabolism the studies i've read showed that they also increased oxidation, leading to no net gain. I think again the timing + quantity is what is key, i think its possible that the right amount of BCAAs could kick your body into a more anabolic state, but that you need other proteins there to maintain it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I am sure you will disagree with the fasted-state v., keto comment, I will refer you here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/112127-bigger-faster-stronger-23.html

That is most likely not the best explanation I have given, however, I do not necessarily feel like explaining how fasted-state training transiently increases the mRNA transcription rate of fat metabolic proteins, their effect on IMTG oxidation, and how this produces the exact physiological processes of Ketosis in a transient fashion.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder as well whether my 2tbsp of Udos in the morning as my only nourishment besides water really does any good. I take it to aid in solubility of some of the vitamins + etc I take

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've only been doing fasted cardio lately, but i'll try this weekend to do fasted strength training as well

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you take anything like Xtend before/during your workout?

I've been doing fasted workouts for about a month now, and am LOVING the fat loss I'm achieving. Will the addition of BCAAs before/during training affect fat loss to any significant degree?
Almost ALL of my training is done first thing fasted (breakfast after). I take my first thing in the morning supplements (IGF-2, Lipotrophin-PM, and OsteoSport), preworkout 80 min-pre-resistance session (RPM), and creatine 30 min-pre-resistance session (NeoVar Recomped). I only drink water during my training sessions. I personally don't notice any difference in fat loss etc. by training first thing; I just prefer it because it starts my day off. It's an individual preference thing IMO.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Almost ALL of my training is done first thing fasted (breakfast after). I take my first thing in the morning supplements (IGF-2, Lipotrophin-PM, and OsteoSport), preworkout 80 min-pre-resistance session (RPM), and creatine 30 min-pre-resistance session (NeoVar Recomped). I only drink water during my training sessions. I personally don't notice any difference in fat loss etc. by training first thing; I just prefer it because it starts my day off. It's an individual preference thing IMO.
I'm growing to absolutely love training in the AM, fasted of course. Everything about it just seems right, from what I've read anyway.

I may forget the whole Xtend before/during training thing, and just supplement with it post-workout. I'd like to try it as an alternative to whey/pea protein.

MHA

Awards
  • Established
Yea I'm kind of lost????? So what did they end at? To take bcaaz before fasted Cardio or not? I'm lookin for fat loss and just ordered bcaaz cause I was thinkin it would help my fasted Cardio and workout. I'm also doin keto And am a lil confused on what was said since I'm not very good on the whole science thing. Any help would be good thanks.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I honestly dont know if it knocks me out of ketosis but I didnt find any negative impact on my fat loss when taking BCAAs preworkout...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I'm kind of lost????? So what did they end at? To take bcaaz before fasted Cardio or not? I'm lookin for fat loss and just ordered bcaaz cause I was thinkin it would help my fasted Cardio and workout. I'm also doin keto And am a lil confused on what was said since I'm not very good on the whole science thing. Any help would be good thanks.

I honestly dont know if it knocks me out of ketosis but I didnt find any negative impact on my fat loss when taking BCAAs preworkout...

well, see thats the thing, if you have a maintenance including activity of 3000 cals, and you only eat 2500 cals, whether or not you are in keto doesn't make a huge difference. The plus of keto is that you are less likely to loose muscle, but if you are only 500 below maintenance and its well spread out then you aren't very likely to loose much muscle anyhow.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I use:
25mg ephedrine hcl
10mg yohimbine hcl
a 24 oz sugar free rockstar
10mg Y-Hcl??
that's about 4 times the most I've ever taken (2.5), which dose had my heart hammering (this at a time when I was accustomed to ECA). How can you take so much?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
god, i've taken 20mg of it, from the nutra caps

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
That is most likely not the best explanation I have given, however, I do not necessarily feel like explaining how fasted-state training transiently increases the mRNA transcription rate of fat metabolic proteins, their effect on IMTG oxidation, and how this produces the exact physiological processes of Ketosis in a transient fashion.
fasted workouts make you go into ketosis?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Find what works best for YOU, mate (it doesn't matter what anyone else says, since everyone responds DIFFERENTLY to everything). Since you want fat loss do what gives you the best results; this means experimenting with fasted and non-fasted cardio (I personally would recommend resistance training as opposed to cardio (or doing HIIT cardio, instead of long, slow cardio) for fat loss because it is MORE effective), etc. to find YOUR sweet spot!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would suggest implementing both intra-to-post workout BCAA supplementation, based on the 'refractory period' noted by Layne Norton et al., Essentially, as I said earlier, despite the fact serum BCAA levels may rise, average protein turnover ratios stagnate after a certain period - suggesting that there exists a 'refractory period' for AA-induced protein synthesis.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would suggest implementing both intra-to-post workout BCAA supplementation, based on the 'refractory period' noted by Layne Norton et al., Essentially, as I said earlier, despite the fact serum BCAA levels may rise, average protein turnover ratios stagnate after a certain period - suggesting that there exists a 'refractory period' for AA-induced protein synthesis.
But what i've seen shows that AA oxidation also rises in that situation, somewhat to entirely negating the long term retention.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But what i've seen shows that AA oxidation also rises in that situation, somewhat to entirely negating the long term retention.
Interesting. How so?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to have to find the studies again. There was a comparison of both short term (1-3 hour) and longer term (3-24) nitrogen retention, and although BCAAs showed the highest retention short term and casein the least, it tended to reverse itself over the next few hours. I have to find that study again :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to have to find the studies again. There was a comparison of both short term (1-3 hour) and longer term (3-24) nitrogen retention, and although BCAAs showed the highest retention short term and casein the least, it tended to reverse itself over the next few hours. I have to find that study again :)
Ah, you may have misunderstood me, as that is exactly what I was suggesting.

By 'refractory period', I was referring to a physiological phenomenon exhibiting similar characteristics to an ejaculatory refractory period. After a certain point, despite continued AA infusion increasing serum AA levels, net protein synthesis haults. Such is why I usually suggest intra-to-post workout BCAA supplementation, as using BCAA too far prior to a workout may leave one in this so-called 'refractory period' when one needs it most!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah, you may have misunderstood me, as that is exactly what I was suggesting.

By 'refractory period', I was referring to a physiological phenomenon exhibiting similar characteristics to an ejaculatory refractory period. After a certain point, despite continued AA infusion increasing serum AA levels, net protein synthesis haults. Such is why I usually suggest intra-to-post workout BCAA supplementation, as using BCAA too far prior to a workout may leave one in this so-called 'refractory period' when one needs it most!
ah I see. I guess as well its all about volume, as there is quite a difference in protein retention/oxidation between 5g of BCAAs/EAAs and 30g worth. I'm starting to really believe that a shortly preworkout to periworkout combo of roughly 20g casein, 10g whey isolate, 5g BCAAs/EAAs is probably optimal

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Alright geeks with all you geek talk. Will taking BCAAs during a fasted workout word negatively against my ketosis? Am I decreasing fat loss potential by taking BCAAs during a fasted workout?

Speek anglish.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright geeks with all you geek talk. Will taking BCAAs during a fasted workout word negatively against my ketosis? Am I decreasing fat loss potential by taking BCAAs during a fasted workout?

Speek anglish.
if you take too much it will. how much is too much is much harder to quantify, i'd guess 5g is pretty safe, 10g maybe.