B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Should Insomnia Sufferers Consdier SAMe Supplements

SAMe supplements have been in use in Europe for a while, but have become increasingly popular in the US. There is still much scientific review of the supplement currently underway, but many recent studies have shown some good results. SAMe may help a variety of issues including sleeplessness.

SAMe, the short name for S-Adenosmethionine, is a compound that the body uses in a number of ways. It is involved in cartilage building, DNA manufacture, immune system function and the production of neurotransmitters. It is this last one in the list of benefits of SAMe that is important for insomnia sufferers.

SAMe supplements have been prescribed by doctors in Europe for years to treat depression and similar mental issues because of the profound effect it has on neurotransmitter production and function. In a similar vein, people with insomnia can often benefit from increases in certain neurotransmitters.

The benefits of SAMe for sleeplessness lie in two main functions. First, SAMe helps in the creation of serotonin. Serotonin is necessary not only for improvements in mood, but is later converted by the body into melatonin, a brain chemical that helps you sleep. Second, SAMe is also involved in the process of converting serotonin into melatonin. Using SAMe supplements can help ensure your body has enough to not only produce the precursor serotonin, but also help the body convert enough into melatonin and help you get to sleep easier.

The benefits of SAMe seem to help not only general insomnia, but may help with things like chronic fatigue syndrome as well. Studies looking into this are positive so far in their results and more are underway.

It is important though to make sure you do not take too high a dose. Taking too much SAMe can produce an opposite effect and keep you awake due to too much serotonin as well as give you headache, restlessness, etc. Proper management of your intake is critical so make sure you discuss this with a doctor who is familiar with and has experience with SAMe supplements before adding one to your diet.

That said, the benefits of SAMe can be as powerful as many prescription medicines without the serious or life threatening side effects that drugs tend to bring. SAMe works more naturally with the body and its systems and provides other benefits to the body that you can't get with drugs.

While SAMe supplements are not a cure-all, they are a powerful tool in helping the body overcome a host of issues including insomnia. It is natural and fairly safe to use under proper direction. It should definitely be considered by anyone who is battling insomnia or depression before using heavy medications. There are many reputable manufacturers out there who can provide quality supplements containing SAMe. Finding one is worth the sleep.

J. Wall has an avid interest in natural remedies for the treatment of Sleeplessness. He is a regular contributor to the Importance of Sleep section of symptoms sleep center good night at sleep-help-center.com, a site dedicated to improving sleep for everyone.

By: J Wall

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've heard some issues with taking SamE at night, something related to manic episodes. So there might be some potential consequence for using SamE as a sleep aide.

In my experience, I like to take SamE with a Bcomplex and the mood impact is WAAAAY more pronounced. There's some science to back that combo, but I'm not informed enough to elaborate on that.

I've also experimented with SamE, Bcomplex, plus a low dose stim first thing in the morning or preworkout. Talk about enhancing your mood and energy! :woohoo: I'm not completely up to par with the current pharmaceuticals for mood, but I bet SamE could compete with how quickly and strongly it takes effect.