Resveratrol - Miracle Supplement

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure many of you have heard about this anti-oxidant. I recently purchased a bottle and thought I'd try it out. I've seen a few documentaries claiming they could use this substance to cure almost anything.

It benefits, cancer, heart function, blood vessels, liver. Virtually everything that bodybuilders strive to counteract (-:

Here are some interesting facts about the product. If you have any additional studies or personal experience with the product, feel free to share:

Resveratrol is a polyphenol compound that may have health benefits
on various chronic diseases. [1] It exhibits a wide range of biological
effects, including antiplatelet, anti-inflammatory, anticancer,
antimutagenic and antifungal properties. [4] This compound is also
believed responsible for some of the beneficial effects of moderate red
wine drinking on the cardiovascular system. One liter of red wine
contains 1.5-3 mg of resveratrol. Resveratrol also exists in grapes.
Resveratrol is considered as a dietary phytoalexin. Phyto comes from
the word phyton which means a plant, while alexin means to defend.
Phytoalexin means plant antibiotic produced by a plant in response to
the entry of a disease-producing substance. [8]

RESEARCH FINDINGS

CANCER
Resveratrol has been shown to inhibit cancer initiation and promotion
[2] It acts as a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) and
regulates proteins involved in DNA synthesis and cell cycle.
Resveratrol also affects the activity of transcriptional factors involved
in proliferation and stress responses, such as NF-kB, AP1 and Egr1. [3]

GASTRIC ADENOCARCINOMA Researchers from researchers at Cook
County Hospital found that gastric adenocarcinoma cells respond to
resveratrol treatment with suppression of DNA synthesis, activation of
nitric oxide synthase, induction of apoptosis and inhibition of total PKC
and PKC alpha activity. [6]

CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES
Resveratrol is a phytoestrogen, potent antioxidant, reactive oxygen
species scavenger and metal chelators. [4] Thus, it may have benefits
of protection of the cardiovascular system against ischemic-
reperfusion injury; it may also protect and maintain the intact
endothelium, exhibits antiatherosclerotic properties inhibits the LDL
oxidation, suppress the platelet aggregation and exhibits estrogen
like action. [4, 7]

PANCREATITIS
Because microcirculation occlusion and cytokines over-production is
involved in many diseases such as acute pancreatitis, resveratrol as a
platelet and cytokines inhibitor may have benefits on acute
pancreatitis. [5]

LIVER TRANSPLANT
Resveratrol has been shown to have an immuno-suppressive property
as well as protective effect on hepatocytes under allograft rejection in
a study of Wistar rats. [11]

KIDNEY DISEASES
Resveratrol (RSV) has been shown to reduce ischemia-reperfusion
(I/R) injury of rat kidney both by antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
mechanisms. [10]

SPERM PRODUCTION
In a study, researchers administered 20 mg/(kg . d) of trans-
resveratrol for 90 days. Compared to a control group, the diameter of
the seminiferous tubules was significantly reduced from 437.5 +/- 0.1
mum in the controls to 310.9 +/- 0.1 mum. This decrease was
accompanied by a significant increase in tubular density. Sperm counts
were significantly greater in the resveratrol-treated rats than in the
control group, but sperm quality did not differ. [9]

OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES

Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant, oxidation may occur during the
manufacturing process or/and storage of the finished products. It has
long been thought that resveratrol supplements were not very
effective in comparison with wine. Recently, some manufacturers have
developed a technique to solve the stability issues of resveratrol
supplements during manufacturing and storage. [1]

DOSE Resveratrol has been used safely in studies at doses equivalent
to 500 mg./day. [1]

TOXICITY / SIDE EFFECTS

Researchers administered rats 0, 300, 1000, and 3000 mg trans-
resveratrol per kilogram body weight per day for 4 weeks. Most of the
adverse or side events occurred in the rats administered 3000 mg per
kilogram body weight per day. Signs of toxicity included reduced final
body weights and food consumption; elevated BUN, creatinine,
alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, total bilirubin, and
albumin; reduced hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red cell counts; and
increased white cell counts. They also observed renal lesions. No
adverse or side effects were observed at 300 mg resveratrol per
kilogram body weight per day in rats. [12]

Click: More information on resveratrol

THIS ARTICLE IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY. IF YOU HAVE ANY
QUESTION, YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR. DO NOT COPY NOR
TRANSFER THE CONTENT TO OTHER WEBSITE. ALL RIGHT RESERVED 2008
zhion.

References

[1] Neil E Levin et al, Pomeratrol™ Fact Sheet, NowFoods Online Publication,
September 20, 2005 [2] Jang M, Cai L, Udeani GO, Slowing KV, Thomas CF,
Beecher CW, et al. Cancer chemopreventive activity of resveratrol, a natural
product derived from grapes. Science 1997;275:218-20 [3] Signorelli P and
Ghidoni R Resveratrol as an anticancer nutrient: molecular basis, open
questions and promises. J Nutr Biochem. 2005 Aug;16(8):449-66. [4] Olas B,
Wachowicz B. Resveratrol, a phenolic antioxidant with effects on blood platelet
functions. Platelets. 2005 Aug;16(5):251-60. [5] Ma ZH, Ma QY. Resveratrol: a
medical drug for acute pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2005 Jun 7;11(21):
3171-4. [6] Atten MJ, Godoy-Romero E, Attar BM, Milson T, Zopel M, Holian O.,
Resveratrol regulates cellular PKC alpha and delta to inhibit growth and induce
apoptosis in gastric cancer cells. Invest New Drugs. 2005 Mar;23(2):111-9. [7]
Dong HH Ren HL New progression in the study of protective properties of
resveratrol in anticardiovascular disease. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2004;105(5-6):225-
9. [8] Phytoalexin, Medfriendly.com Online Publication, September 20, 2005.
[9] Juan ME et al, trans-Resveratrol, a natural antioxidant from grapes,
increases sperm output in healthy rats. J Nutr. 2005 Apr;135(4):757-60. [10]
Bertelli AA et al, Resveratrol, a component of wine and grapes, in the
prevention of kidney disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 May;957:230-8. [11] Wu
SL et al, Resveratrol prolongs allograft survival after liver transplantation in
rats. World J Gastroenterol. 2005 Aug 14;11(30):4745-9. [12] Crowell JA et al,
Resveratrol-associated renal toxicity. Toxicol Sci. 2004 Dec;82(2):614-9. Epub
2004 Aug 25."

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Oral bioavailability is supposedly very poor.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff from what I read.

Everyone raves about Sustain Alpha. PP should do a transdermal with just resveratrol.

Also, adding quercetin and bioperine are supped to increase oral bioavailability.

stoked and t-rez have both or one of those added.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff from what I read.

Everyone raves about Sustain Alpha. PP should do a transdermal with just resveratrol.

Also, adding quercetin and bioperine are supped to increase oral bioavailability.

stoked and t-rez have both or one of those added.
yea but how much does that actually help. does it absorb like 5% more or a higher percentage than that? and sustain alpha is just basically resveratrol with benzaflavone or whatever it is added too.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
if you could get bulk resveratrol then you could create your own transdermal with penetrate, PP also makes a TD carrier as well...might make it more cost effective.

I just read something saying that someone is trying to create a beer with resveratrol in it...benefits of drinking red wine, but with beer.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
how much resveratrol is in a glass of wine? and is it really that helpful because of the poor oral biovalibility?

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
if you could get bulk resveratrol then you could create your own transdermal with penetrate
Good call. Please share if anybody knows if a bulk powder is available.

Also, there are billions of dollars being spent by pharmaceutical companies on this product. My understanding is that they're trying to cram the equivalent of Resveratrol you'd get from drinking 100 bottles of red wine into a pill. (I can't remember the exact equivalent, but it was pretty extreme).

I wonder how they will make it more bioavailable? Hopefully the underground world can crack the case on this product before it becomes a regulated RX.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
didn't take long with a google search, but I did find 100g of 99% resveratrol for $68...

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
For someone that is only interested in the resveratrol and not the effects on the benzoflavone, then they could get a better value if it was purely Resv. I mentioned this idea to Eric months ago, and I'm sure many others have too. We do have it for sale at NP http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/primordial-performance/sustain-alpha-7-5-oz.html to add to your order; and there is an excellent and long writeup on the product here
This makes me wonder how Divanex and Sustain Alpha would do coupled...teach me masa.

if you could get bulk resveratrol then you could create your own transdermal with penetrate, PP also makes a TD carrier as well...might make it more cost effective.

I just read something saying that someone is trying to create a beer with resveratrol in it...benefits of drinking red wine, but with beer.
Cough, NP get on making a bulk powder cough.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Also, there are billions of dollars being spent by pharmaceutical companies on this product. My understanding is that they're trying to cram the equivalent of Resveratrol you'd get from drinking 100 bottles of red wine into a pill. (I can't remember the exact equivalent, but it was pretty extreme).

I wonder how they will make it more bioavailable? Hopefully the underground world can crack the case on this product before it becomes a regulated RX.
Can I just drink the 100 bottles of red wine? :D

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This makes me wonder how Divanex and Sustain Alpha would do coupled...teach me masa.

Cough, NP get on making a bulk powder cough.

While I do like SA, I think a targeted test-boosting like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/get-diesel/diesel-test-hardcore-120-tabs.html will boost your T (And free a little too from the nettle in there) + Divanex . And if I were really aiming for perfection I would add in a low dose of an AI like Trione/ATD/6-Bromo to boost T levels through low E2 feedback aswell.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got the bulk power - figured I'd simply take a crapload to offset poor bioavailability Tastes like ass so your recomendation is wise ;)

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
While I do like SA, I think a targeted test-boosting like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/get-diesel/diesel-test-hardcore-120-tabs.html will boost your T (And free a little too from the nettle in there) + Divanex . And if I were really aiming for perfection I would add in a low dose of an AI like Trione/ATD/6-Bromo to boost T levels through low E2 feedback aswell.
I would say maybe a DTH and SA stack but that just seems way too expensive for what it is. I just figured going on both "fronts" would prove to be great but I also know little when it comes to supplementation. I learned food nutrition and technique and so far thats been enough but I was just thinking about adding something. Interesting side questions, are these NCAA legal? I have some buddies I lift with off and on in the summer who play ball and they are always looking for new things. steveoph, what do you think of that idea? Buying bulk and making a transdermal? Talk about something I know zilch about, but still, Im willing to learn.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
why doesn't DTH get ragged on for being a proprietary blend?

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would say maybe a DTH and SA stack but that just seems way too expensive for what it is. I just figured going on both "fronts" would prove to be great but I also know little when it comes to supplementation. I learned food nutrition and technique and so far thats been enough but I was just thinking about adding something. Interesting side questions, are these NCAA legal? I have some buddies I lift with off and on in the summer who play ball and they are always looking for new things. steveoph, what do you think of that idea? Buying bulk and making a transdermal? Talk about something I know zilch about, but still, Im willing to learn.
TD Resveratrol is a good way to go about it; oral bioavailability is just too low IMO. We're working on getting a TD carrier at NP again, but nothing right now to help you out. I think Resveratrol has some interesting long term benefits, but you can get similar results for cheaper (and simpler) by using something like DTH. It is all NCAA legal as far as I'm aware; although some wacky leagues have caffeine on the list :lol:

Search Transdermal Formestane for some threads to get your feet wet; that would be a fun experiment a few months down the road when we hopefully have both back in.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Because it works/ :lol: With so many proprietary blends out there, it's more common for people to praise the ones that list all the ingredients (E.g. RPN), there would just be too much rage otherwise ;)
i've heard many good things but have never gotten around to trying it. i did like sustain alpha except for the fact of it being topical.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I think its closer to 1000 bottles a day !

If you google resveratrol & 60 minuets ( the news show on Sunday nights)you can find the video of their investigation into this compound. In short a pharma company is actively working on making an age reduction pill which may be possible in about five years time (ha). They feel the effects would benefit the elderly the most, like a 90 yr old would have the well being of a 50 yr. old. This is based upon preliminary results using lab rats. Then the story goes on to say that 9 out of 10 times these kinda results don't work with humans...go figure. If it does become extreamly popular, and I see how thats easliy possible since its supposed to cure so many ailments, then demand is sure to drive prices upward. Ah, how do you say fountain of youth in a pill :)

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
I think its closer to 1000 bottles a day !

If you google resveratrol & 60 minuets ( the news show on Sunday nights)you can find the video of their investigation into this compound. In short a pharma company is actively working on making an age reduction pill which may be possible in about five years time (ha). They feel the effects would benefit the elderly the most, like a 90 yr old would have the well being of a 50 yr. old. This is based upon preliminary results using lab rats. Then the story goes on to say that 9 out of 10 times these kinda results don't work with humans...go figure. If it does become extreamly popular, and I see how thats easliy possible since its supposed to cure so many ailments, then demand is sure to drive prices upward. Ah, how do you say fountain of youth in a pill :)
maybe we can make rats live forever

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Resveratrol works, there is a supplement called "Tween 80" that promises greater bio-availability.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I think I might buy $1,000 worth of the bulk powder and bathe in resveratrol and have a teaspoon with every meal for a few months so that I will become immortal.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Interestingly, 200 ml of red vine give you around 10 mg of Resveratrol, the product I consume has 25 times this amount (Bioforte Resveratrol). As it is helpful in destroying free radicals, it might encourage faster recovery also between workouts.

I began using it 3 weeks ago - together with Kre Alkalyn - and am very satisfied in that I train every 2nd day (I never workout to muscle failure, though) and was able to progress steadily. Never experienced this before.

I now go for the bull's eye - will workout tomorrow, too - so that I had only 24 hours between. Let's see how my resveratroled body will be able to cope with it...

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
so i'm guessing the whole thing with red wine being beneficial because of the resveratrol in it seems to be bullsh!t

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
so i'm guessing the whole thing with red wine being beneficial because of the resveratrol in it seems to be bullsh!t
I think red wine was crucial in the finding of resveratrol. If scientists can take it to the level they claim, the RX version will make the glass of wine per day a joke.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think red wine was crucial in the finding of resveratrol. If scientists can take it to the level they claim, the RX version will make the glass of wine per day a joke.
Google, Tween 80, thats almost as good as it can get.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Tween 80 is a surfactant, not a supplement. You're looking for the revgenetics brand of resveratrol, not Tween 80.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dude, I knew someone was paying attention here. Yes Tween 80 is a component of a Resveratrol supp created for greater bio-availability.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
That is interesting. I read a little about it and the Tween 80 appears to be safe. Why isn't this product used with non-methyl PH's if it increases bioavailability safely?

Here is some brief info on the additive:

Tween 80 (Polysorbate 80):

"Consumer Labs recognizes this as safe ingredient for supplements, and it is found in many CoQ10 supplements on their website. The FDA recognizes Tween 80 as a GRAS product. The designation (GRAS) means Generally Recognized As Safe. The GRAS designation is an FDA government designation that a chemical or substance added to food is considered safe by experts, and is exempted from the usual Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) food additive tolerance requirements.

We remind folks that the FDA also provides the safety requirements and laws for the manufacture of all supplements and pharmaceuticals including supplement GMP processes and regulations that all biotech, food and vitamin manufacturers must follow regarding medicine, dietary supplements, Ice cream and everyday foods.

Based on their safety record, Polysorbates are also approved for use in parenteral products. As a food additive, Tween 80 is used in many foods that you find in your favorite supermarket, some of them are listed here: Gelatin Desserts, Ice Creams, Cottage Cheese, Pickles, Vitamins/Mineral Preparations, Shortenings, Whipped Toppings, Barbecue Sauce, etc. If it were found toxic by the FDA experts, it simply would not be allowed in any of our common foods such as ice cream, cottage cheese, pickles or others commonly eaten by adults and children alike. "

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Probably because its an expensive technology that is only used by (and,or, made) by one company that I can see. It would markedly increase the price of anything.

ekdevil

Awards
so topical res is absorbed more but how much res is in Sustain Alpha?how much do we absorbed per serving?

ekdevil

Awards
^thanks.not to be an @ss,im just curious,is 162mg a lot?it seems miniscule compared to t-rez of 400mg98% per tab.or 162mg is a lot when it comes to transdermal?

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
^thanks.not to be an @ss,im just curious,is 162mg a lot?it seems miniscule compared to t-rez of 400mg98% per tab.or 162mg is a lot when it comes to transdermal?
but out of that 400mg u probably aren't even absorbing half... t-rez has nothing in it to help with absorbtion either it's just straight resveratrol

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
but out of that 400mg u probably aren't even absorbing half... t-rez has nothing in it to help with absorbtion either it's just straight resveratrol
IMO what makes Resveratrol use effective is consistency of ingestion (or absorbtion) at levels that will not produce sides ie GI probs. and joint pain.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your question is a very good one actually; with such a low oral bioavailability, its possibly you are only getting a 1% bioavailable dose. However if the transdermal has a 30% absorption rate, 30% of 160 is about 50mg, which is the same as a 5g dose @ 1% bioavaiability . Unfortunately the exact data on relative absorbancies is not something I am totally certain of (inferences can be made if you really dig through the research) but I would say that the SA is a fair dose.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
So which has better bioavailability? The trandermal @ 30% or the oral version with Tween 80?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
why doesn't DTH get ragged on for being a proprietary blend?
Try it and then ask yourself the same question, or read some of the logs on it. It all depends what is in the blend....

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
If you're in it for strickly the Res, the tween 80 from revgenetics is probably the better deal. Its cheaper and has a proven plasma level concentration, albeit in rodents.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. The best bang for your buck. (i.e. cheapest way to get the highest absorption)

ekdevil

Awards

oh ok,i just thought that in now has bioperine helps with the oral absorption.plus if you take NOW quercitin(very cheap) it also helps.

but thanks for the responses.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're in it for strickly the Res, the tween 80 from revgenetics is probably the better deal. Its cheaper and has a proven plasma level concentration, albeit in rodents.
Care to provide the link to the study with the plasma concentration? With the 30% off sale on all PP products tomorrow + Free shipping, I think Sustain Alpha might be a better, or atleast equal option. The benzoflavone has other additive benefits.

Edit: Nvm about the study, I went digging.

Post worth reading: http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24230&view=findpost&p=262502 . Im going to see if we can micronize our resveratrol in T-Rez.