What is the Best Creatine?

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    What is the Best Creatine?


    I was wondering what would be the best creatine for me. My body didn't take good to Creatine monohydrate. It dehydrated me even after I drank two gallons of water. I tried taking it with milk as well as orange juice. The guy at GNC recommended that I take this specific kind of creatine. I forgot which type he said it was, I just remember he said it was the most absorbent. Also, I'm just wondering how important is creatine? I've just stayed clear of it ever since I woke up dehydrated, because I don't want to go through that again. I had bad headaches with it too and even after drinking water the headaches would not go away. Please keep in mind I drank well over the amount of water that was suggested on the label. I was drinking a gallon and a half to two gallons of water.

  2. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I was wondering what would be the best creatine for me. My body didn't take good to Creatine monohydrate. It dehydrated me even after I drank two gallons of water. I tried taking it with milk as well as orange juice. The guy at GNC recommended that I take this specific kind of creatine. I forgot which type he said it was, I just remember he said it was the most absorbent. Also, I'm just wondering how important is creatine? I've just stayed clear of it ever since I woke up dehydrated, because I don't want to go through that again. I had bad headaches with it too and even after drinking water the headaches would not go away. Please keep in mind I drank well over the amount of water that was suggested on the label. I was drinking a gallon and a half to two gallons of water.
    Creatine itself will only help if you are doing HIGH intensity or slightly below. If you do low - moderate training, you most likely will see no benefit from JUST creatine; however, some products contain other compounds besides creatine.
  3. New Member
    SDNewbie93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    90
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    49.02%

    i just use a plain unflavored creatine from ON... its cheap and does the job....
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    MoneyAddyct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    133
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    95.4%

    I did some research and started taking Neovar yesterday. It's obviously too soon to tell, but it came pretty highly recommended, so you might want to check it out.
  5. New Member
    soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    26.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    Creatine itself will only help if you are doing HIGH intensity or slightly below. If you do low - moderate training, you most likely will see no benefit from JUST creatine; however, some products contain other compounds besides creatine.
    correct me if im wrong... but what about... 5x5 styled workouts? I mean... you're not training to failure... and its only 5 reps... so is that 'not intense' ??

    depends how you look at it... i mean, you could say 1rm wouldnt be intense but it actually would be... (but again ude reinforce with a 5x5 ur not going till failure and ur not doing a big amount of reps?)

    just my reasoning... coz i think ive had better success with creatine when doing higher rep workouts? not sure tho...
  6. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    correct me if im wrong... but what about... 5x5 styled workouts? I mean... you're not training to failure... and its only 5 reps... so is that 'not intense' ??

    depends how you look at it... i mean, you could say 1rm wouldnt be intense but it actually would be... (but again ude reinforce with a 5x5 ur not going till failure and ur not doing a big amount of reps?)

    just my reasoning... coz i think ive had better success with creatine when doing higher rep workouts? not sure tho...
    5 reps is moderate - high intensity (should be about 70% of your 1RM)

    Higher reps in the range of 10+ mainly resynthesize ATP from glycolysis (first few seconds from phosphagen system "where creatine comes into play")
  7. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well I've had problems with monohydrate, so I'm looking for something more absorbent. I'd like to hear from other people who have taken the various forms and creatine and people who like me have had problems with mono.
  8. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Well I've had problems with monohydrate, so I'm looking for something more absorbent. I'd like to hear from other people who have taken the various forms and creatine and people who like me have had problems with mono.
    Creatine stores are directly related to your training methods / intensity. If you do low-intensity training, your body isn't utilizing the phosphagen system; thus, there is little to no need for more creatine storage.
  9. Professional Member
    delsolrob's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,135
    Rep Power
    11895
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    60.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Derick, welcome to AM!

    looks like you're pretty new here, please get familiar with the search function...someone creates a thread with this question nearly every week.
  10. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    My main concern was if I was getting dehydrated and having headaches with the mono, is it likely that I will have the same side effects with the other forms of creatine? I havn't really found a creatine post that talks about headaches. I was drinking alot of water, so there was no reason for me to be dehydrated.
  11. Senior Member
    JaredGalloway's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,016
    Rep Power
    593
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    45.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    any creatine that is attached to a krebs intermediate seems to do the trick for me (dicreatine malate, magnesium creatine chelate etc etc.)
  12. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Green MAGnitude
    Neovar
    Ragnarok
  13. New Member
    soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    26.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    5 reps is moderate - high intensity (should be about 70% of your 1RM)

    Higher reps in the range of 10+ mainly resynthesize ATP from glycolysis (first few seconds from phosphagen system "where creatine comes into play")
    uh.... im not good with the chemistry talk, but... on my 5x5s I did ~85% of my 1rm from what I just calculated (i just finished 8 weeks of 5x5s so im switching to 3x8 now just so i dont get used to it...but the way i calculated this is... say deadlift... i go for 5 reps... not till failure, i use a 1rm calculator and then divide what i do in 5reps into that... thats how i got 85%...)

    at 70% id be doing more reps... so I presume I was right... 8-10 reps = higher intensity in the sense you're giving them more reps in terms of work (hard to explain)...

    (thats how i look at intensity and i know the big guys will lash on me at this but... 1rm = intense... then again going all out for 10 or 15 big reps is intense where as imo 5reps not till failure doesnt seem so intense for me?)

    eh...
  14. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    uh.... im not good with the chemistry talk, but... on my 5x5s I did ~85% of my 1rm from what I just calculated (i just finished 8 weeks of 5x5s so im switching to 3x8 now just so i dont get used to it...but the way i calculated this is... say deadlift... i go for 5 reps... not till failure, i use a 1rm calculator and then divide what i do in 5reps into that... thats how i got 85%...)

    at 70% id be doing more reps... so I presume I was right... 8-10 reps = higher intensity in the sense you're giving them more reps in terms of work (hard to explain)...

    (thats how i look at intensity and i know the big guys will lash on me at this but... 1rm = intense... then again going all out for 10 or 15 big reps is intense where as imo 5reps not till failure doesnt seem so intense for me?)

    eh...
    The 70% was an estimation... and 10 - 15 reps is considered light - moderate intensity... high volume though.
  15. Universal Nutrition
    naturalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    342
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    81.63%

    Personally I respond well to monohydrate however you may want to try a product like Storm:

    http://store.anabolicminds.com/produ...-1-81-lbs.html

    It has several different forms of creatine plus a lot of extras. The price is fantastic @ 80 servings for $31.99. Most people respond very well to it.
  16. New Member
    soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    26.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    The 70% was an estimation... and 10 - 15 reps is considered light - moderate intensity... high volume though.

    High volume? as in total amounts of weight lifted/pushed... ie 100kg for 3 sets = 300kg volume? soz
  17. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    volume = weight * reps
  18. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,532
    Rep Power
    149925
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    30.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    There are so many forms of creatine. If want my opinion from what worked/works best for me, I will say to give Orotine (tricreatine orotate), creatine gluconate, or an all in one ergogenic creatine product like Cre-02.

    Rob is right, I keep repeating myself and my feedback in these threads and there are over hundreds of tiring threads called "What's the best creatine" or "Let's take a creatine poll!".
    Freedom means nothing here.
  19. New Member
    fullnelly25's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    85
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    97.05%

    Storm grape flavored was the **** . . i did that a few years ago and its still one of my fav. . . . I know its a lil $$$ but I liked Size-On Lemon Ice flavor . . .tasted pretty good too. although I'm thinking I make take one with some carbs like MHP Dark Matter or something else along those lines
  20. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Thanks for the responses. I read somewhere that your body doesnt absorb creatine mono well and that most of it goes to waste. Now I just have to get rid of my fear of being dehydrated again. My friend told me, that my body may have been trying to fluss it out of my system and thats another reason why I could have been drinking all that water and pissing every 10 minutes. What was disappointing also was the mono only worked the first day I took it. I only had energy from it in the first day and the rest of the time I just had the side effects.
  21. Senior Member
    capnsavem's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,226
    Rep Power
    1244
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    19.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    using Creatine Magnapower, which is Magnesium Creatine chelate. i like it. its supposed to have better absorption properties.
  22. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,532
    Rep Power
    149925
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    30.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I read somewhere that your body doesnt absorb creatine mono well and that most of it goes to waste. Now I just have to get rid of my fear of being dehydrated again. My friend told me, that my body may have been trying to fluss it out of my system and thats another reason why I could have been drinking all that water and pissing every 10 minutes. What was disappointing also was the mono only worked the first day I took it. I only had energy from it in the first day and the rest of the time I just had the side effects.
    Are you going to research the advice given to you? You just seem like you have one way of thinking and no matter what anyone says, you're going to do whatever you want.

    "Bro, creatine di-pyruvate peptide is the best creatine 100 fold! Here are the studies! Here's a link to the reviews!..."

    DerrickVonD, "thanks guys for the tremendous feedback on this redundantly old thread topic, but I think I'm gonna try creatine monohydrate again... right after I start another thread asking if glutamine works or not."
    Freedom means nothing here.
  23. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,343
    Rep Power
    34870
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Are you going to research the advice given to you? You just seem like you have one way of thinking and no matter what anyone says, you're going to do whatever you want.

    "Bro, creatine di-pyruvate peptide is the best creatine 100 fold! Here are the studies! Here's a link to the reviews!..."

    DerrickVonD, "thanks guys for the tremendous feedback on this redundantly old thread topic, but I think I'm gonna try creatine monohydrate again... right after I start another thread asking if glutamine works or not."
    I never said I'd try mono again I just said it was disappointing and I had a bad reaction. I just need something that works and doesn't dehydrate thats all. I searched "creatine di-pyruvate peptide" didn't find much. I read CEE doesn't work. Can Creatine Gluconate cause dehydration like mono?
  24. New Member
    soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    336
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    26.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I read somewhere that your body doesnt absorb creatine mono well and that most of it goes to waste. Now I just have to get rid of my fear of being dehydrated again. My friend told me, that my body may have been trying to fluss it out of my system and thats another reason why I could have been drinking all that water and pissing every 10 minutes. What was disappointing also was the mono only worked the first day I took it. I only had energy from it in the first day and the rest of the time I just had the side effects.
    I'm on ~10g a day of mono atm and no issues with dehydration and its 110 degrees and 20-25% humidity... i duno
  25. Senior Member
    alwaysgaining's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    1638
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    50.31%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    [QUOTE=russy_russ;1778015]5 reps is moderate - high intensity (should be about 70% of your 1RM)

    QUOTE]




    haha warm up should be 75%
    high intessity would be 85%to 95% and 5 reps being the maximum
    this would be utilizing the most out of creatine because it is best uesd in a anarobic inviroment
    the more reps u ues the more respration comes into play

    o and bty mono is the BEST creatine
  26. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    [QUOTE=alwaysgaining;1779675]
    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    5 reps is moderate - high intensity (should be about 70% of your 1RM)

    QUOTE]




    haha warm up should be 75%
    high intessity would be 85%to 95% and 5 reps being the maximum
    this would be utilizing the most out of creatine because it is best uesd in a anarobic inviroment
    the more reps u ues the more respration comes into play

    o and bty mono is the BEST creatine
    Warm up should NOT be at 75% of your 1RM; and, yes 75% is considered high intensity. You get the MOST ATP resynthesis from creatine during very high intensity / explosive moves lasting less than 5 seconds.

    By the way, no matter what your creatine stores are; if you don't have enough creatine kinase to break the phosphocreatine to resynthesize ATP then it's complete waste as your body cannot do anything with the creatine. So, there isn't much difference between creatines besides transport.

    Aerobic respiration actually does not come into play much at all during actual weight lifting set. Even at higher reps glycolysis provides most of the ATP to keep the muscle contracting.
  27. Senior Member
    alwaysgaining's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    1638
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    50.31%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    [QUOTE=russy_russ;1779706]
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post

    Warm up should NOT be at 75% of your 1RM; and, yes 75% is considered high intensity. You get the MOST ATP resynthesis from creatine during very high intensity / explosive moves lasting less than 5 seconds.

    By the way, no matter what your creatine stores are; if you don't have enough creatine kinase to break the phosphocreatine to resynthesize ATP then it's complete waste as your body cannot do anything with the creatine. So, there isn't much difference between creatines besides transport.

    Aerobic respiration actually does not come into play much at all during actual weight lifting set. Even at higher reps glycolysis provides most of the ATP to keep the muscle contracting.


    lol lght man next time ur doin 20 rep squats tell me how hard yer breathing.
    but good advice
  28. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    644
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.85%

    [QUOTE=alwaysgaining;1780171]
    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post



    lol lght man next time ur doin 20 rep squats tell me how hard yer breathing.
    but good advice
    How hard you're breathing has NOTHING to do with what system your body is deriving its sources for ATP production. Not to be a d*ck, but maybe you should read more about it before calling someone out...

    Oxygen consumption immediately following exercise is used to restore phosphocreatine in muscle and oxygen stores in blood and tissue; this is done withing 2-3 minutes of recovery. Further, heart rate and breathing remain elevated above resting levels for several minutes following exercise; therefore, both of these activities require additional oxygen above resting levels. Also, elevated body temperature and specific circulation hormones which results in an increased metabolic rate (Q10 effect).

    By the way, it takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes before your body starts utilizing the oxidative phosphorylation system to resynthesize ATP. The time is dependent on a few factors and the main one is training.. Even the most elite athletes still take almost 2 minutes to utilize this system.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Preworkout creatine blend or just Creatine?
    By insomniacl in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
  2. Creatine Ethyl Ester or Creatine Monohydrate?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
  3. Creatine Ethyl Ester Vs. Creatine Monohydrate
    By Bishop2009 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
  4. Esterified Creatine or Regular Creatine?
    By Fun2Train in forum Bulking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in