Decreasing effectiveness of caffeine

1. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Decreasing effectiveness of caffeine

Is the decreasing effect of caffeine apparent in only a cognitive sense or are the other fat burning properties also diminished with continuous use?

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

good question. i would say fat burning is diminished as well, but that's just a complete guess. I know that if you've developed a tolerance to caffeine it does not boost performance in the gym.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

i think it diminishes over time i believe caffeine works on beta receptors (not 100% sure tho) and they diminish quickly.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  156 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.34%

I think it would just be the cognitive part that decreases for the most part. Caffeine will increase the amount of fat used as fuel for the muscles during extended periods of exercising. I don't think the body would build up a tolerance on that side but as long as you don't abuse it and you cycle it a bit I would think the overall tolerance for it would be minimal.
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.34%

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    i think it diminishes over time i believe caffeine works on beta receptors (not 100% sure tho) and they diminish quickly.
    caffeine does not bind to adrenergic receptors.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    caffeine does not bind to adrenergic receptors.

k in that case fatt loss properties will continue past cognitive function i think.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.81%

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Is the decreasing effect of caffeine apparent in only a cognitive sense or are the other fat burning properties also diminished with continuous use?
    There does seem to be a decrease in responsiveness to caffeine after repeated drug exposure. High doses of caffeine (750 to 1200 mg/day spread throughout the day) administered daily, have been shown to produce "complete" tolerance (i.e., caffeine effects are no longer different from baseline or placebo) to some, but not all of the effects of caffeine. However, lower or typical dietary doses of caffeine produce incomplete tolerance. For example, sleep may continue to be disrupted in regular caffeine users.

Most of the biological actions of caffeine are possibly mediated through its antagonistic effects to adenosine. Adenosine activates an inhibitory GTP-binding protein (Gi). One of the physiological actions of Gi is the inhibition of cAMP formation. Caffeine overcomes this action thus leading to elevation of cAMP. Firing of neurons and the release of neurotransmitters is also inhibited by adenosine. Caffeine overcomes this effect, thus producing increased CNS-activity.

During long term administration of caffeine (especially high doses) many functions of the body develop tolerance including cardiovascular and central nervous systems. Present research suggests that caffeine tolerance following continuous, high doses coffee ingestion is the response of the body against caffeine through the upregulation of adenosine receptors.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
  3. Effects of Decreasing Testosterone
    By phyviti in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 01:54 PM
  4. pea effectiveness
    By Delita420 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9