B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Benefits of Glutamine

What is Glutamine?

Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid (meaning the body can produce it) it is stored mainly in the muscles but can be found in the liver, lungs, brain and blood. 60 Percent of the free amino acids found in the bloodstream is glutamine, extra glutamine is stored in the muscles and the lungs.

It is used as a source of fuel for cells in the intestinal tract and also as a source of fuel for the immune system. It has the property of being able to helping the regulation of the ph off the blood if the blood ph starts to rise, Glutamine can be broken down in to glutamate and ammonia.

Intense exercise can deplete glutamine levels by 35-50 percent. During exercise when glutamine level drops in the blood. These stores can be depleted in 4-6 hours and may taker up to 24 hours to fully recover. The body can release glutamine into the bloodstream by breaking down muscle tissue and releasing the glutamine into the bloodstream. This is a process that bodybuilders would want to avoid as this may cause you to lose strength and muscle mass reversing the gains you have been trying to make in the gym

Glutamine is consumed in a normal diet glutamine makes up 4-8 percent of food protein. Sometimes the body cannot consume enough from food sources quick enough so that is when supplementation can be useful. Glutamine I s a white odourle3ss tasteless powder which will dissolve in liquids and can easily be taken

Taking glutamine you can take 10 grams a day and split it between before and after training can help improve you strength reduce muscle catabolism and improve recovery times. It is easy to take and not very expensive for the gains you can get from it. Principle source of glutamine to be released into the blood is from the bodies muscle tissue

Glutamine supplementation has been found to be able to increase levels of growth hormone secretion reduce muscle soreness and aid in muscle growth. Taking extra glutamine has been found to have several effects. It has been found to minimize protein breakdown by stopping the body from breaking down muscle to create glutamine for other parts of the body and improve protein metabolism.

This is written by Graeme Muir. I have an interest in biochemistry weight training and bodybuilding my website is GRMProducts

By: Graeme Muir

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
It has been my understanding that taking glutamine is useless because it does not survive the pass through the gut.

Are you saying that this is not true?

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Glutamine supplementation has been found to be able to increase levels of growth hormone secretion reduce muscle soreness and aid in muscle growth. Taking extra glutamine has been found to have several effects. It has been found to minimize protein breakdown by stopping the body from breaking down muscle to create glutamine for other parts of the body and improve protein metabolism.
Study to back this up?

Only study I've seen was IV Glutamine, is that he's selling on his site?

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Study to back this up?

Only study I've seen was IV Glutamine, is that he's selling on his site?

Thats exactly what I've seen. IV administration works, but oral administration of glutamine doesn't because it is broken down in the gut and never makes it to the blood stream.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established

Prove to me oral administration works. Got anything from Pubmed?

IV administration has been proven to work. Oral administration has been proven to be broken down in the gut before it can do anything effective.

But I am willing to keep an open mind. So if you can provide medical studies that show oral administration works, you might be able to convince me.

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've heard this and glutamine only seeing minor recovery effects at 20 + grams a day.

willwes

willwes

Awards
The only thing I've EVER heard of L-Glutamine being good for is the digestive tract. Daily doses of L-Glutamine can actually cure a stomach ulcer in about 4 months! That's all it's good for....digestion!

L-Glutamine, the "L-"referring to a particular property of the amino acid, can be an amazing aid in healing stomach ulcers, stopping diarrhea, repairing a “leaky gut,” and helping the body repair its cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. Glutamine is the only amino acid containing two amine groups. This enables glutamine to “give up“ one of these amine groups to combine with glucose to make: n-acetyl-glucosamine—necessary for repairing intestinal lining; and acetyl-d-glucosamine—responsible for healing cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. This same property makes it the primary energy fuel for the small intestine and therefore increases immune function of the stomach>

Last edited:
RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I have used glutamine for upset stomach and when I have an intestinal problem. It helps renew the lining in the intestines, and just seems to sooth the pain.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Studies are all over pubmed. Im just too lazy to post them. oral L-glutamine is good for the immune system when sick, soothing the stomach, and prevents muscle wasting. also its well known glutamine converts to gaba which raises gh. (gaba does the same thing) even exercise does. i use it for increased recovery, if my immune systems down, or if I'm dieting real hard like I am now or all in one.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
With exception of soothing the stomach, I have only seen proof of the other things you mentioned with IV administration. Again, I'll keep an open mind, but require proof that glutamine can survive the gut in large enough amounts to have those effects.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Did you read this? There is only 1 mention of method of administration.... parenteral

<pharmacology> Not through the alimentary canal but rather by injection through some other route, as subcutaneous, intramuscular, intraorbital, intracapsular, intraspinal, intrasternal, intravenous, etc.

i know i just wanted to point it out even more that oral glutamine is pointless except for immune function and coating the stomach..

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Somewhere on this board, the Board Owner made a series of posts about glutamine and how it doesn't pass through the gut. All were backed up by PubMed or other Medical sources.

I know some people swear by it. I just think that its a waste of money unless you have the stomach flu or something like that. I guess in the end its up to the individual as to what they want to believe.

BeBig

BeBig

Awards
  • Established
Studies are all over pubmed. Im just too lazy to post them. oral L-glutamine is good for the immune system when sick, soothing the stomach, and prevents muscle wasting. also its well known glutamine converts to gaba which raises gh. (gaba does the same thing) even exercise does. i use it for increased recovery, if my immune systems down, or if I'm dieting real hard like I am now or all in one.
So how well does this help to prevent muscle wasting and do you need to drink large amounts of it or what? I've had some guys that I've lifted with say glutamine is good for muscle soreness and thats about it. :think:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
pretty sure B5150's account was hacked.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
C'mon, really.. Almost certainly these aren't actually B5150..

I mean, they link to non-sponsor supplement websites..

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The usual love for Glutamine! :D

Recall the following:

Gluamine is neither an essential nor a non-essential amino acid. It is a conditionally essential amino acid. This means the body is unable to produce enough glutamine under certain circumstances such as periods of intense exercises, after surgery, infectious disease, and so on.

The body uses about 20 or so amino acids in protein synthesis. Of these, Glutamine is the most abundant, making up about 50% of blood amino acid concentration and 60% of total amino acids in the body. After BCAAs, Glutamine is the next most important amino acid for anabolism. As a nitrogen and carbon donor, glutamine is an important muscle-building amino acid. Glutamine possesses a unique structure: It contains two nitrogen side chains. This means that it is responsible for about a third of the nitrogen that penetrates the muscle cell. As an anti-catabolic amino acid, glutamine regulates protein synthesis in muscles by preserving muscle cells and boosting post-exercise muscle glycogen. Glutamine's capacity to maintain lean mass and enhance nitrogen retention is also particularly important during periods of low calorie intake.

Glutamine synthesis protects the body and brain from ammonia toxicity. Glutamine can cross the blood-brain barrier. At the brain level, Glutamine is a crucial substrate for the production of excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters, glutamate and glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Some glutamate is used in the synthesis of Niacin and Glutathione, some as energy, and some as neurotransmitter. Furthermore, the nervous system requires Glutamine as a source of energy. When the brain does not receive enough glucose, it increases glutamine metabolism for energy. This is why glutamine is sometimes referred to as "brain food". Also, glutamine helps prevent hypoglycemia, as it is converted to glucose when blood sugar is low. Glutamine also helps in regulating cellular fluid levels via its dependence on sodium transport.

Glutamine plays a vital role in supporting the immune system via boosting the white blood cells, and is important in maintaining the integrity of the gastro-intestinal lining.

In my opinion, therefore, the only problem with glutamine supplementation that could give the erroneous impression that glutamine is worthless, is the fact that only about 20% of regular L-Glutamine consumed ever reach the blood stream to elicit anti-cataboilic and anabolic effects. This means that 80% of ingested Glutamine is absorbed by the intestines and used for immune-system support. To get around this situation, very large amounts (> 20g) of Glutamine would need to be supplemented daily. Some have even suggested placing the glutamine directly under the tongue and allowing it to dissolve slowly. This way more Glutamine will be absorbed into the blood stream. Alternatively, advanced Gluamine forms and Glutamine precursors can be used. Examples include L-Glutamine-Alpha Ketoglutarate, N-Acetyl-L-Glutamine, N-Alanyl-L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, and Alpha Ketoglutarate. This way, a smaller quantity would be required.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So how well does this help to prevent muscle wasting and do you need to drink large amounts of it or what? I've had some guys that I've lifted with say glutamine is good for muscle soreness and thats about it. :think:
Its important to use it under intense conditions, like Dc training blast when you start feeling worn out, cns is fried, intense dieting phases(pre-contest)or just any time the immune system is down.

BBR

BBR

Awards
If B5150's account has been 'jacked surely someone from the board would put the boot in and stop it?

BeBig

BeBig

Awards
  • Established
Its important to use it under intense conditions, like Dc training blast when you start feeling worn out, cns is fried, intense dieting phases(pre-contest)or just any time the immune system is down.
Hey bud what would be intense conditions me and LG lift 5 days a week. And sorry don't know what CNS stands for can you enlighten me. Thanks smeton:fing02:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
pretty sure B5150's account was hacked.
Or, maybe he IS talking about IV administration. :tongue2:

I've heard from some trainers that many of their high level athletes shoot glutathione before events, why not glutamine after?

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
You realize they link to other online supp. stores right?
Woahh.. also a supp store I would never buy from. They're selling Syntha-6 for $85 bucks sayin it's $100 retail :yikes:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
:gives::jester:
You're kidding right?

Last I checked, you gave a fuck, and so did the board rules.

I know others have been mod edited and things like that for this, so I feel the need to point this out.

AnabolicMinds.com Forum - FAQ: vBulletin FAQ

Advertising or linking in any way is not permitted unless you are a board sponsor or have permission from the MOD staff. These privileges are afforded to those companies that help keep this board running. Respect them as well as board management.

Addition 4/15/07:

Nutraplanet.com is the exclusive retailer of Anabolicminds.com. Please do NOT link to or promote other retail stores.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Relax. Its fine. If we have to edit things, we will.

Thanks for the lookout though..we appreciate it. :)

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
If the mods are the cops of the forum, then ozarka is batman.

BBR

BBR

Awards
Does that mean he has a homoerotic relationship with his butler?

C

CredibleHulk

Banned
Awards
I just saw this article in my Jan-Mar 2009 issue of the Nutrition Express catalog, on page 49:

"More Growth Hormone Perhaps the most exciting news for bodybuilders and those fighting the aging process is glutamine's effect on growth hormone. As you already know, growth hormone is one of the body's most anabolic (muscle-building) hormones. A study in the 'American Journal of Clinical Nutrition' reported a whopping 430% increase in growth hormone after taking glutamine. In turn, growth hormone may promote greater muscle growth and the preferential use of the body fat stores for energy.

NOTE: A study at Louisiana State University Medical College gave 2 grams of glutamine to nine healthy athletes in the morning, 45 minutes after a light breakfast. Blood levels of growth hormone rose 430 percent above initial levels 90 minutes after glutamine supplementation."

BBR

BBR

Awards
Sweet, and if Muscletech made a cryogenically filtered micro-delivered form of Glutamine we could expect a 4300% increase!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just saw this article in my Jan-Mar 2009 issue of the Nutrition Express catalog, on page 49:

"More Growth Hormone Perhaps the most exciting news for bodybuilders and those fighting the aging process is glutamine's effect on growth hormone. As you already know, growth hormone is one of the body's most anabolic (muscle-building) hormones. A study in the 'American Journal of Clinical Nutrition' reported a whopping 430% increase in growth hormone after taking glutamine. In turn, growth hormone may promote greater muscle growth and the preferential use of the body fat stores for energy.

NOTE: A study at Louisiana State University Medical College gave 2 grams of glutamine to nine healthy athletes in the morning, 45 minutes after a light breakfast. Blood levels of growth hormone rose 430 percent above initial levels 90 minutes after glutamine supplementation."
yeah i said that w while back in the thread. actually little as two grams has been shown to raised gh levels. it doesnt last long though the gh spike.(gaba does that same thing)

they work similarly I think. can anyone confirm this as fact?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Why doesn't somebody just go ahead and brew up some injectable glutamine already?

:D

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, and if Muscletech made a cryogenically filtered micro-delivered form of Glutamine we could expect a 4300% increase!

LOL yeah and maybe they could test it on Jay Cutler and hed get so big that he would explode!!

BBR

BBR

Awards
I'm pretty sure there's guys on this forum who would inject just about anything to get bigger ;)

B

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
this isnt sceintific but i take 1 tablespoon in my shake after workout i felt like i got a lil bit harier? and it helped me recover reallly quick and less joint pains.