CoQ10

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Anyone else interested in this. It has alot of potential benefits:
-Minor lowering of blood pressure (systolic and diastolic)
-energy prodution(atp production)
-anti oxidant
-reduction of ldl cholesterol
-helps regulate glucose levels
-cardiovascular health
-boosts immune system
Assocaited benfits from some of the above like improving weight loss , improved recovery, and more.

The only bad interactions i could find are with blood thinners and statins (cholesterol meds). The worst side effect i could find took place with whopping doses of 1200mg/day and that was stomach upset. So it sure appears very safe. I def like the method of supplementation it uses that is taking a naturally occurring substance that by its nature benefits many of our normal bodily processes. The biggest question i have is the necessity to supplement with it in healthy people. Im convinced sick and elderly can benefit but normal healthy people seem to be able to synthesize it effectively without supplementation. Im very intrigued by this supplement...anyone have any input?

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
This is old news my man...alot of companies add coq10 into there preworkout products...it has many benefits and im sure many people are taking this in there multi...

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Yeah i guess i meant experience as a stand alone supplement ....not with a bunch of other stuff where u dont know what is doing what (not to dismiss synergy, i just want stand alone effects). Stand alone did anyone get any benefit?
If its in your multi that great...if more multis were effective at delivering the vitamins etc in them into our systems it would be even better. So to clarify... additional stand alone supplementation ..anyone have any experience??

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i take coq10 pre workout and it gives me great pumps. i take 200mg worth of gel caps and it makes a big difference in how i feel at the gym. i know the first time i took it was on arm day and i took just the coq10 and it gave me one of those pumps that was just like tearing my skin. i made 2 of my buddies try it and they fell in love with it as well. DEFINETLY a staple for me just because i can actually feel more blood circulating while im working out and recovery time is dramatically reduced as well.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
We have CoQ12 in Blue Gene and White FLOOD. Good product, unfortunately a little expensive in bulk I've found.

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
CoQ10 is an awesome product unfortunately it can be expensive as I am sure many of you know, but there are some places where you can find 100 mgs for a 30 day supply for like $6.00. They are selling out fast, as I think people are starting to catch onto it. When I find out for sure I will let you all know.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i guess i meant experience as a stand alone supplement ....not with a bunch of other stuff where u dont know what is doing what (not to dismiss synergy, i just want stand alone effects). Stand alone did anyone get any benefit?
If its in your multi that great...if more multis were effective at delivering the vitamins etc in them into our systems it would be even better. So to clarify... additional stand alone supplementation ..anyone have any experience??
Putting this together with some of your other posts, I'm forced to conclude that you don't actually understand "supplements" and "supplementation" at all. Unfortunately, it's not at all uncommon - especially from those who consider supplements to be 'replacement drugs' and are searching for a drug-effect from them; and when they don't *get a drug-effect, they proclaim them "worthless"...when all they really are, are nutrients.

I highly recommend you doing some meaningful research into nutrition and how it works. A GREAT place to start would be "Life Extension" by Pearson & Shaw. No, it's not a bodybuilding book: but you wouldn't go to a nutritionist for advice on weights and routines & such, would you? Once you understand nutrition better, you'll be in a much better position to understand nutrition for bodybuilders.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take 50mg in the morning and 100mg at night. I have used it for a few years and think it is a staple supplement. It also has great synergy with lipoic acid; antioxidants are important imo.

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Putting this together with some of your other posts, I'm forced to conclude that you don't actually understand "supplements" and "supplementation" at all. Unfortunately, it's not at all uncommon - especially from those who consider supplements to be 'replacement drugs' and are searching for a drug-effect from them; and when they don't *get a drug-effect, they proclaim them "worthless"...when all they really are, are nutrients.

I highly recommend you doing some meaningful research into nutrition and how it works. A GREAT place to start would be "Life Extension" by Pearson & Shaw. No, it's not a bodybuilding book: but you wouldn't go to a nutritionist for advice on weights and routines & such, would you? Once you understand nutrition better, you'll be in a much better position to understand nutrition for bodybuilders.

Actually i consider nutrition our greatest asset in the area of supplementation. My main interest ties in directly with what you posted..i personally prefer nutrients that optimize our bodies natural functions (as long as they truly work and are required to be taken in higher than ingested amounts we get in food to do so...or that are required at higher levels than out body naturally produce to exude wanted results) ...much like appears to be the case with things like CoQ10 ...thanks for the book recommendation ..im always looking to learn more in this area....reading any info will help. Oh and i am certainly not deluded...to think any supp could come close to drug like results is simply ridiculous and not a methodology i subscribe to in gaging supp effectiveness. Any experience with CoQ10 supplementation?

Oh and thanks to all for their input thus far.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
just because supplements cant give the results of drugs, doesnt mean they dont have their place. you cant be "on" all the time, its important to find things to bridge the gap between cycles and help keep more of the gains and grow in between.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prefer CoQ10 Ubiquinol (advanced, reduced form of standard CoQ10) to CoQ10 Ubiquinone (standard).

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Any experience with CoQ10 supplementation?
Other than taking it daily for the last 10-20 years? No, certainly nothing to say about it in a weightlifting context.

I *can* tell you I had a heart-attack 'scare' about 4-5 years ago (meaning, I didn't actually have one), and I had cardiologists all over me, even kept me over night so the could deprive me of sleep & run more tests. They were absolutely SURE I MUST have a heart problem, but they couldn't find anything, Anything. Any damage of any kind at all - or any sign that I ever had. I think it messed up their weekend, having me.

I have not always lead a 'healthy' life - I've had years that involved many excesses, very many of which are very bad for the heart. It was Co-Q10's cardioprotective benefits that got me taking it. Can't give full credit to it alone, but I'm willing to let it share in my stellar outcome from that incident.

Oh, the doctor's verdict?
My heart is 30-35 years old - in spite of my age, years of smoking & hanging out in smoky places, and the stresses of parenthood.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
A must if taking Red Yeast Rice or prescription statin drugs.

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I'm easing into my support supps for an upcoming hdrol run, and I just started taking CoQ10 two days ago - 100mg capsules. About 1.5 hours after taking it, I developed a crushing headache. This happened both times after I took it, and I'm 99.9% sure that's what caused them, as that's the only new supp I've added into my diet recently. About a week ago, I started hawthorne and taurine, and didn't have any problems with those.

I'm kinda bummed about it, because it seems CoQ10 has a wealth of benefits, not to mention I'm currently on a statin as godfather alluded to above. These headaches aren't a joke, either - made me wanna rip my head off and throw it at someone :aargh: Took two asprin, shortly followed by two Goody powders to even take the edge off. From what I've read, 100 mg is a fairly significant dose, so I may go back and purchase the 30mg capsules so I can scale back. I'd like to keep taking it... - anyone else have bad sides with it?

steveironman

Banned
Awards
^^ hmm interesting as ive read (now granted this is just read) that it can have a reaction and shouldnt be taken with some statins- on the other hand statins cause low levels of CoQ10???? ...or with blood thinners. So im not 100% on the "its a must with statins"....godfather any input here?

steveironman

Banned
Awards
lulz @ how the FDA tried to ban it

:rolleyes:
Yeah , that was like 15 years ago wasnt it? Someone should have put a bug in the ear of those regulators that just sit around dying for some rip off to investigate and pointed them in a more productive direction...

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^ hmm interesting as ive read (now granted this is just read) that it can have a reaction and shouldnt be taken with some statins- on the other hand statins cause low levels of CoQ10???? ...or with blood thinners. So im not 100% on the "its a must with statins"....godfather any input here?

Yup - CoQ10 depletion from statins. I've done a little reading about it. I think some pharma companies have added CoQ10 to their statins, but I'll have to do more research to confirm...

steveironman

Banned
Awards
^^^ pretty sure merck has the patent on that (combining Coq10 w/ statins) It was curious though as i read that also there were some stains where CoQ10 taken in combo caused adverse effects?? Im not on a statin so for my purposes its insignificant but as you mentioned its a def issue for you. Please share any more info you find re this ok?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup - CoQ10 depletion from statins.....
Absolutely. The pathway is also fairly well established. Statin drugs are known to inhibit the enzyme, hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase. Now, this enzyme, as you know, is important in the synthesis of coenzyme Q10 and cholesterol precursors. So, by inhibiting that enzyme, statin drugs compromise CoQ10 synthesis. The results can range from mitochondrial dysfunction to heart failure, and so on. So, for those on statin drugs, CoQ10 is a must. Even for non-statin drug users, CoQ10 has versatile benefits. My favourite stack in this area is CoQ10 Ubiquinol and Idebenone (another CoQ10 analogue, argued by some to be at least as powerful as CoQ10 Ubiquinone).

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
if i take 150mg of CoQ10 everyday, i get a "heavy heart" feeling. My blood pressure goes up to 140mmHg, even with meds. Like it's going to burst. If i take it every other day, i'm fine.

Well, I'm easing into my support supps for an upcoming hdrol run, and I just started taking CoQ10 two days ago - 100mg capsules. About 1.5 hours after taking it, I developed a crushing headache. This happened both times after I took it, and I'm 99.9% sure that's what caused them, as that's the only new supp I've added into my diet recently. About a week ago, I started hawthorne and taurine, and didn't have any problems with those.

I'm kinda bummed about it, because it seems CoQ10 has a wealth of benefits, not to mention I'm currently on a statin as godfather alluded to above. These headaches aren't a joke, either - made me wanna rip my head off and throw it at someone :aargh: Took two asprin, shortly followed by two Goody powders to even take the edge off. From what I've read, 100 mg is a fairly significant dose, so I may go back and purchase the 30mg capsules so I can scale back. I'd like to keep taking it... - anyone else have bad sides with it?

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if i take 150mg of CoQ10 everyday, i get a "heavy heart" feeling. My blood pressure goes up to 140mmHg, even with meds. Like it's going to burst. If i take it every other day, i'm fine.

I'm gonna start tweaking my dosages, and hopefully find a good schedule like you've found. Do you space your dosage out on the days you take it - 50mg am, 100mg pm, or something like that? With or without meals?

Thx for the feedback...

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I dont think there's any need to take that high of a dose. 30-50 mgs a day should be good enough.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
nah, my capsules come in 150mg. I could probably crack them open and get the powder out, but i'm too lazy. :)

I'm gonna start tweaking my dosages, and hopefully find a good schedule like you've found. Do you space your dosage out on the days you take it - 50mg am, 100mg pm, or something like that? With or without meals?

Thx for the feedback...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
150 is a HUGE dose - I'd really think twice about taking so much, *especially* if you're having ANY kind of reaction to it!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought 50mg was recommended dose. No sense in taking that much (150mg) at once really.

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
NOW's 150mg CoQ10 was the most economical, and I am stuck with it. :)

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, went with the 50mg capsules and - shazaaammm - no headache :dance: This one has L-Carnitine in it for some damn reason, and mentions right on the label that it's beneficial for statin users - that's me.

I'll just stick with 50mg/day for now...

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
NOW's 150mg CoQ10 was the most economical, and I am stuck with it. :)
*shakes head*

Dude, if they're selling that potency, well, go for it: I was thinking you were loading up on 30-75mg pearls (would be expensive!)....

Carry on - and keep us informed!

wontdie

wontdie

Awards
  • Established
i am using it to improve my sperm motilty.

I swear i could feel a difference in the consistency of my junk now.

But wife is still not pregnant, lol. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 29
Royd The Noyd Male Anti-Aging Medicine 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Supplements 39