FDA and "tainted" fat loss pills - ALRI's Venom on list!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Ouch! Not long till these are pulled, IMO.

FDA Warns Consumers About Tainted Weight Loss Pills

FDA News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 22, 2008

Media Inquiries:
Rita Chappelle, 240-753-8603
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Warns Consumers About Tainted Weight Loss Pills
Agency seeks recall of products that pose serious health risks

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting consumers nationwide not to purchase or consume more than 25 different products marketed for weight loss because they contain undeclared, active pharmaceutical ingredients that may put consumers’ health at risk.

The tainted weight loss products are:

Fatloss Slimming

2 Day Diet

3x Slimming Power

Japan Lingzhi 24 Hours Diet

5x Imelda Perfect Slimming

3 Day Diet

7 Day Herbal Slim

8 Factor Diet

7 Diet Day/Night Formula

999 Fitness Essence

Extrim Plus

GMP

Imelda Perfect Slim

Lida DaiDaihua

Miaozi Slim Capsules

Perfect Slim

Perfect Slim 5x

Phyto Shape

ProSlim Plus

Royal Slimming Formula

Slim 3 in 1

Slim Express 360

Slimtech

Somotrim

Superslim

TripleSlim

Zhen de Shou

Venom Hyperdrive 3.0

An FDA analysis found that the undeclared active pharmaceutical ingredients in some of these products include sibutramine (a controlled substance), rimonabant (a drug not approved for marketing in the United States), phenytoin (an anti-seizure medication), and phenolphthalein (a solution used in chemical experiments and a suspected cancer causing agent). Some of the amounts of active pharmaceutical ingredients far exceeded the FDA-recommended levels, putting consumers' health at risk.

These weight loss products, some of which are marketed as “dietary supplements,” are promoted and sold on various Web sites and in some retail stores. Some of the products claim to be “natural” or to contain only “herbal” ingredients, but actually contain potentially harmful ingredients not listed on the product labels or in promotional advertisements. These products have not been approved by the FDA, are illegal and may be potentially harmful to unsuspecting consumers.

The FDA advises consumers who have used any of these products to stop taking them and consult their healthcare professional immediately. The FDA encourages consumers to seek guidance from a healthcare professional before purchasing weight loss products.

“These tainted weight loss products pose a great risk to public health because they contain undeclared ingredients and, in some cases, contain prescription drugs in amounts that greatly exceed their maximum recommended dosages,” said Janet Woodcock, M.D., director, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA. “Consumers have no way of knowing that these products contain powerful drugs that could cause serious health consequences. Therefore FDA is taking this action to protect the health of the American public.”

The FDA has inspected a number of companies associated with the sale of these illegal products, and is currently seeking product recalls. Based on the FDA’s inspections and the companies’ inadequate responses to recall requests, the FDA may take additional enforcement steps, such as issuing warning letters or initiating seizures, injunctions, or criminal charges.

The health risks posed by these products can be serious; for example, sibutramine, which was found in many of the products, can cause high blood pressure, seizures, tachycardia, palpitations, heart attack or stroke. This drug can also interact with other medications that patients may be taking and increase their risk of adverse drug events. The safety of sibutramine has also not been established in pregnant and lactating women, or in children younger than 16 years of age.

Rimonabant, another ingredient found in these products, was evaluated, but not approved by the FDA for marketing in the United States. The drug, which is approved in Europe, has been associated with increased risk of depression and suicidal thoughts and has been linked to five deaths and 720 adverse reactions in Europe over the last two years.

Health care professionals and consumers should report serious adverse events (side effects) or product quality problems to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail, fax or phone.

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
good find, it's scary to think that when it comes down to it, anything can be in the supplements we take...

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I hope we get full disclosure, should future health problems occur for those who took any of the listed supplements. I have, and it made me feel so bad I decided to just sell it after a few days.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
ALRI makes the list.... Somehow that doesn't surprise me.. Just another one of their products containing substances not listed. I would stay clear of ALRI personally.

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
i tried dren awhile ago.. worst mistake of my life. had no idea why i really needed a fat burner but for some dumb reason i bought off whey cheap during the big sales... anyways it made me nauseous, made me not want to eat (which i guess is the point) and made me puke.. basically i learned my lesson.. but besides the point i just dont get why companies feel they have to add these non-approved compounds because in the long run it just screws everyone over.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I've got 2 bottles of the 1st version of Venom (the 400 mg/cap and 500 mg/cap). Not tried 3.0 or 3.0+.

Hoping the earlier versions were OK but I have a feeling Venom is the one with sibutramine (Meridia).

I KNEW Venom had something way the F stronger than was on the label the first time I took it. Stayed up 20 something straight hours.

i tried dren awhile ago.. worst mistake of my life. had no idea why i really needed a fat burner but for some dumb reason i bought off whey cheap during the big sales... anyways it made me nauseous, made me not want to eat (which i guess is the point) and made me puke.. basically i learned my lesson.. but besides the point i just dont get why companies feel they have to add these non-approved compounds because in the long run it just screws everyone over.

I do not think Dren made the list.

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
ya i know, i was just giving my expierence with a particular fat burner, basically they dont settle well with me. it was a little off topic but somewhat pertained. all i was trying to get to is that supplements shouldnt make you feel like that, but i guess all people react differently.

i wish the fda got somewhat involved in the circulation of supplements, atleast monitor companies so stuff like this doesnt happen and all these people are ingesting harmful compounds.

Sion

Sion

Awards
scary post but very important...was thinking in trying venom for cutting.thanks fda...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
On one hand, everyone drools over new supps with new designer ingredients that promise big results. On the other hand, those new designer ingredients are not identifiable to the FDA et al and it raises red flags like these. Some of the new ingredients might get misidentified as existing drugs..or some of these companies are just shady enough to actually put pharmacueticals into their supplements.

Just sayin'...

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Fair on both sides, Bio.

Seems like all those supps are done though.

tmachovec

tmachovec

Awards
I've got 2 bottles of the 1st version of Venom (the 400 mg/cap and 500 mg/cap). Not tried 3.0 or 3.0+.

Hoping the earlier versions were OK but I have a feeling Venom is the one with sibutramine (Meridia).

I KNEW Venom had something way the F stronger than was on the label the first time I took it. Stayed up 20 something straight hours.
I believe you are correct on the Meridia. Check the link on the bottom of the FDA page.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is why its important for a peer review on the safty etc.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well on one hand I'm relieved no cancer, on the other fairly sure whatever the amount in Venom is more than normal dose of Meridia.

More I read more I'm concerned a took an MAOI around the same time (hordenine or one of those HEAT things is one, I think). pf

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
Well on one hand I'm relieved no cancer, on the other fairly sure whatever the amount in Venom is more than normal dose of Meridia.

More I read more I'm concerned a took an MAOI around the same time (hordenine or one of those HEAT things is one, I think). pf

What would happen perse if you took an MAOI with Venom 3.0?

I used half a bottle of that stuff, and then dumped the other half down the toilet, now I wish I would have dumped the whole thing down there.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
What would happen perse if you took an MAOI with Venom 3.0?

I used half a bottle of that stuff, and then dumped the other half down the toilet, now I wish I would have dumped the whole thing down there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibutramine
Says "Sibutramine has a number of clinically significant interactions. The concomitant use of sibutramine and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs, such as selegiline) is not indicated, as it may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, a somewhat rare but serious adverse drug reaction.[4] Sibutramine should not be taken less than two weeks after stopping or before starting use of an MAOI. Taking both sibutramine and certain medications used in the treatment of migraines—such as ergolines and triptans—, as well as opioids, may also increase the risk for serotonin syndrome, as may the use of more than one serotonin reuptake inhibitor at the same time.[4]"

s.s. info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Haha I knew 3.0 was different from 3.0+. The "plus" was probably the removal of sibutramine, since no one gets the same stim effect.

You guys had to know there was something else in Venom beyond the label...there was just no way the listed ingredients were giving that effect. Not justifying ALRI's addition of meridia though, scummy move.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Haha I knew 3.0 was different from 3.0+. The "plus" was probably the removal of sibutramine, since no one gets the same stim effect.

You guys had to know there was something else in Venom beyond the label...there was just no way the listed ingredients were giving that effect. Not justifying ALRI's addition of meridia though, scummy move.
Yup. That I agree 100% with. Discussed that with some friends of mine that are also in the industry.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone with any legal experience have a guess about what will happen to ALRI for this? I know Meridia is Schedule IV, and the drug was pulled right? Due to safety profile problems? Other schedule 4s include most (if not all) of the benzodiazepines.

So its not like they were putting adderall into the caps (I remember someone postulating addys were in it), as the schedule profile on adderall would put them in some serious legal trouble (sched 2).

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow. When you posted this, I though more supps would make the list than that. There are so many fat burners/supps out there that could potentially be dangerous and we would never know without info like this.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Wow. When you posted this, I though more supps would make the list than that. There are so many fat burners/supps out there that could potentially be dangerous and we would never know without info like this.
Why does it have to be tainted with crap that causes cancer?

At least slip some test into a pro-hormone. (Not something like methyl tren, which is more likely to happen the way things break for us :trout:)

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
Did these companies (ALRI specifically) spike their products with Meridia, or was it a case of contaminated raws?

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
wow. I have taken venom like 3 times in the past..

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
There have been allegations of certain other supplement companies, whose products are always "2 years in the making" spiking one of their best selling products with var while it was in the sponsored log stages.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
on the subject of alri, doesn't anyone remember the original jungle warfare?

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I got a bunch of fat loss samples at the 2008 Europa show. I haven't taken any of them, maybe I should read the ingredient lists and warnings on each before I take them... I know I got some ALRI stuff.

Also, thanks for posting this very important warning jmh80.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I got a bunch of fat loss samples at the 2008 Europa show. I haven't taken any of them, maybe I should read the ingredient lists and warnings on each before I take them... I know I got some ALRI stuff.

Also, thanks for posting this very important warning jmh80.
the whole purpose of this thread is what alri is NOT listing as ingredients. reading the ingredient list isn't going to help much.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
There have been allegations of certain other supplement companies, whose products are always "2 years in the making" spiking one of their best selling products with var while it was in the sponsored log stages.
I'd be down for that.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
We all knew the side effects while on venom were nothing like what the label would lead you to believe you might experience.

Keep in mind, the FDA is building more and more of a paper trail to bring about strict guidance and oversight in a supplement industry that has absolutely no standards. Every nay-sayer will bitch about their constitutional rights, about how it's "their body" and how they're the scientific-elitist who knows their body better than the FDA and that the "psedu-science" that the FDA uses is just to "hold them down" and "take away their rights". None of us can blame the FDA for the sanctions that the organization is going to try and pass (approx. time-line is 6 months). The only one's we have to blame are the supplement manufacturers. Expect to see the same "Drug Facts:" label on your supplements as you see on your cold medicines.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is this not just a rumor, or do you have proof that this actually took place. I mean, anyone could make a claim like that, but unless you have Lab Test indicating that this happened, it's nothing more than dust on a shelf.
(Not saying you, just a generalized statement)

I have 30 packets of the 3.0 that Nutra gave me over a few month period of time. I'll probally throw them in the can and set them on fire now.

cjszip

cjszip

Awards
Is this not just a rumor, or do you have proof that this actually took place. I mean, anyone could make a claim like that, but unless you have Lab Test indicating that this happened, it's nothing more than dust on a shelf.

I have 30 packets of the 3.0 that Nutra gave me over a few month period of time. I'll probally throw them in the can and set them on fire now.
I'd use them. Send them here.

gino54

gino54

Awards
Is this all hyperdrive or just the old venom hyperdrive? If anyone wants to get rid of there old hyperdrive i will take it off of their hands.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
This doesn't surprise me at all. Taking a old venom hyperdrive 3.0 like 3 years ago lit me up more than 10mg of adderall ever did. Lol

treningsfrik75

treningsfrik75

Awards
Dammit, i have taken Jungle Warfare and it was found illegal substances in it and now i have bought Venom HD and this shows up.

Thats it for me ALRI!

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
...And to this day nobody has verified what myself and others strongly suspect about the original samples of X-Force being tainted with something...

Pound4Pound

Pound4Pound

Awards
Anyone know if there's anything sketchy in the original Venom?

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dont trust any supplement company, all they want is your money.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established

From what I understand, there are lab reports...from a well known chemist. I've never personally seen anything (thats why I'm not naming names or companies...or products), but I trust the person who is telling me with a lot of off the boards stuff.

That being said, it would be horrible if a company was spiking their **** with the same product that it's supposed to legally be "close to"

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
From what I understand, there are lab reports...from a well known chemist. I've never personally seen anything (thats why I'm not naming names or companies...or products), but I trust the person who is telling me with a lot of off the boards stuff.

That being said, it would be horrible if a company was spiking their **** with the same product that it's supposed to legally be "close to"
I'm sure this Chemist is well known to do such tests, eh?
Well, if there are lab essays, or reports on this claim, then I would love to actually read them.

nopeace

Awards
  • Established
Well that sucks. I always new there was something up with venom. It worked like crazy. at first.

Anyone with samples or bottles they dont want send them to me!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We all knew the side effects while on venom were nothing like what the label would lead you to believe you might experience.

Keep in mind, the FDA is building more and more of a paper trail to bring about strict guidance and oversight in a supplement industry that has absolutely no standards. Every nay-sayer will bitch about their constitutional rights, about how it's "their body" and how they're the scientific-elitist who knows their body better than the FDA and that the "psedu-science" that the FDA uses is just to "hold them down" and "take away their rights". None of us can blame the FDA for the sanctions that the organization is going to try and pass (approx. time-line is 6 months). The only one's we have to blame are the supplement manufacturers. Expect to see the same "Drug Facts:" label on your supplements as you see on your cold medicines.
Exactly. Even if it is our body it is the company that needs to be ethical and test there product for safety and shows that it does what its supposed to do. Not a placebo i.e air born.