Fish oil Bad for Building Muscle??

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
I read in an issue of Musclular Development that fish oils and fish meat actually were not good for building size and developing muscle....I dont remember the exact mechanism and it was a couple of months ago... I believe the basis was on how it hindered inflamation of muscle tissue and therefore it didnt repair in a way that helped build muscle. The closing thoughts were like you can be the biggest guy in the gym or the healthiest. I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this.....I dont want to die of a heart attack from high cholesterol...but i do want to gain more weight....im at 215 and i want to be at least 235

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
omega 3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties that could potentially reduce protein synthesis rates post workout.

on the other hand, omega 3 is also a vasodiolator - increased blood flow which aids in protein synthesis.

overall, i would say the benefits far out weight the negatives of fish oil supplementation.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
omega 3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties that could potentially reduce protein synthesis rates post workout.

on the other hand, omega 3 is also a vasodiolator - increased blood flow which aids in protein synthesis.

overall, i would say the benefits far out weight the negatives of fish oil supplementation.
agreed 100%, even if we lost some mgs of muscle, and yes we are talking on mgs the benefits far out weight the negatives by long long distance

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Well that's pretty unfortunate for me and all the athletes, pro body builders etc. out there that take it and eat lots of fish because I don't think any of is will stop taking it

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In clinical studies, EPA is shown to work at the molecular level and block muscle protein catabolism by reducing the activity of the ATP-ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway, the major pathway of protein catabolism in muscle.

Research shows that this pathway is highly active in illnesses that promote muscle wasting, but also active during times of calorie restriction. The capacity of EPA to block excessive muscle protein breakdown is powerful; it’s anti-catabolic effects are shown to be even more potent than IGF-1.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
ugh....I was on fish oil...but then stopped when i read this article....guess im going back on then...

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established

I agree. I will always supplement with fish oil.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Not to mention the cardiovascular benefits

madgoat33

Awards
It sounds like you took it out of context. I bet the article actually said that TOO much fish oil can hinder gains, not just fish oil in general.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
this is only the case in very high quantities. Thus why people recomend omega 3's for joint pain and infamation

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
ok i see....I dont really eat fish that much...maybe once or twice a month....so im guessing fish oil supps wont really hinder that much

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your not eating fish every day or even if you are I would still take one with 100% omega 3 meaning out of 1gram 1 gram is omega 3. Not 6's or 9's but 3. Most companies put 30% to 50% omega 3's to keep the cost down.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
If your not eating fish every day or even if you are I would still take one with 100% omega 3 meaning out of 1gram 1 gram is omega 3. Not 6's or 9's but 3. Most companies put 30% to 50% omega 3's to keep the cost down.

I see what you mean...the bottle i have left is 1000mg but the omega 3 content is only at 300mg

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You don't want any omega 6'.s you also don't want 9'.s That is why I am concerned that out of the 1000 as a example if 300 are 3's what is the rest 6's and 9's?

A typical American diet, however, tends to contain 20 to 40 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids.
In contrast, a Mediterranean diet is made up of a healthier and more appropriate balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The Mediterranean diet includes a generous amount of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, and garlic; plus, there is little meat, which is high in omega-6 fatty acids.

There are several different types of omega-6 fatty acids. Most omega-6 fatty acids are consumed in the diet from vegetable oils and fish oils that are not tripple distilled as linoleic acid (LA; be careful not to confuse this with alpha-linolenic acid [ALA] which is an omega-3 fatty acid). Linoleic acid is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the body and then further broken down to arachidonic acid (AA). AA can also be consumed directly from meat, and GLA can be ingested from several plant-based oils including evening primrose oil (EPO), borage oil, and black currant seed oil.

Excess amounts of LA and AA are unhealthy because they promote inflammation, thereby leading to several of the diseases described above.

This imbalance contributes to long-term diseases such as heart disease, cancer, asthma, arthritis, and depression.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
You don't want any omega 6'.s you also don't want 9'.s That is why I am concerned that out of the 1000 as a example if 300 are 3's what is the rest 6's and 9's?

A typical American diet, however, tends to contain 20 to 40 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids.
In contrast, a Mediterranean diet is made up of a healthier and more appropriate balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The Mediterranean diet includes a generous amount of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, olive oil, and garlic; plus, there is little meat, which is high in omega-6 fatty acids.

There are several different types of omega-6 fatty acids. Most omega-6 fatty acids are consumed in the diet from vegetable oils and fish oils that are not tripple distilled as linoleic acid (LA; be careful not to confuse this with alpha-linolenic acid [ALA] which is an omega-3 fatty acid). Linoleic acid is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the body and then further broken down to arachidonic acid (AA). AA can also be consumed directly from meat, and GLA can be ingested from several plant-based oils including evening primrose oil (EPO), borage oil, and black currant seed oil.

Excess amounts of LA and AA are unhealthy because they promote inflammation, thereby leading to several of the diseases described above.

This imbalance contributes to long-term diseases such as heart disease, cancer, asthma, arthritis, and depression.
Where is this info from?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Clinical Rounds is a journal for doctors.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
agreed 100%, even if we lost some mgs of muscle, and yes we are talking on mgs the benefits far out weight the negatives by long long distance

i think the general way of looking at it is if you take too much that it will happen

5-10g of fishoil, probably wont hurt, 40g of fishoil (just throwin out a number) would prolly hinder some point, it comes down to when you dose it, as well i think

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Hank Vangut, Ph.B. Doctorate of Broscience :stick:

and I agree with your conclusion.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was curious as to the source....can you be more specific (issue, volume, author(s), pub. date, etc.) Anything?
It is a photocopy of the article and just the article part as the page is huge like the reader size so the Doctor only clipped the article. I will ask him tonight to get me the original so I can give you the reference.

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
Fish oil or EFA's in moderate doses are good for your health and optimal hormone balance. They will not hinder muscle growth in moderate doses.

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established

That is a key phrase. Most bodybuilders/athletes do not eat a typical american diet.

With EFA supplementation you want a balance, multi-source, full spectrum efa supplement.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established