creatine

rpcenter78

rpcenter78

Awards
What is a good age to start giving creatine? I have a 10 yr old that works out regularly. He sees the supplements that my friend and I take and he is asking. I give him protein shakes now but what else should he have and what should I not give him. What age is it good to start giving glucosamyn?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Wow, 10 years old is really young. I have always thought that starting to get into fitness at a young age is great, but at 10 be really careful with how strenous of a workout plan he is on. I would say creatine should be put off til atleast 15-16. You could have him taking multi vitamins though. Whey is fine, casein would be fine.

rpcenter78

rpcenter78

Awards
thank you for reply. when we decided on his workout, we judged weight according to his reps. We stop when his 4th rep is getting tough. we do 5 sets ususally when benching. just body squats, low weight shoulder presses, low weight low rows, body weight calf raises, 10lb plates to lunge, low weight tricep pull downs. alot pushups and situps.

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
10 years old is really young. Personally, I would wait until my kid was 16 years old. But, I guess, you can give him protein shakes and a multivitamin.

michael3435

Board Sponsor
Awards
i wouldnt have your son do any heavy squats, or squats at all. at such a young age, it can hamper growth. same goes for all lifts.

ILiftBig

Awards
What is a good age to start giving creatine? I have a 10 yr old that works out regularly. He sees the supplements that my friend and I take and he is asking. I give him protein shakes now but what else should he have and what should I not give him. What age is it good to start giving glucosamyn?
As the father of a 13 year old, I think it is best to let him wait until he is at least 17 or 18. Right now, I think it is a good idea to teach you child how to use food properly. Too many adluts depend way too much on supplements, when they could have better gotten what they need through a sound diet. IMHO a 10 year old should not be working hard enough to need to use glucosamine.

One good thing.....he is asking questions, you might sit down and talk to him about nutrition and the proper use of nutrients in getting strong.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to agree with what the guys are saying.

The only supplements that I would recommend a 10-year old using are:
* Multivitamin
* Good fats

Protein shakes are NOT necessary, because he should be getting all of his protein requirements from his DIET (and it should be easy, given the mass of a 10-year old).

Creatine is not necessary, either; I would wait until at least 16-18 years old before using this.

As for the resistance training, I would be careful. Yes, lifting weights CAN be beneficial for younger individuals. But you must also remember that he is STILL growing. Resistance training can hamper growth and development. (Note that the bodyweight stuff is ok, though).

teribleturtle

Awards
10 yrs old IMO is way to young to start messing with weights. Let him be a kid, have him play with his friends outside, or put him in sports like basketball or soccer. Just keep him away from too much junk food maybe give him those tasty flintstone vitamins.

rpcenter78

rpcenter78

Awards
I appreciate all the input. I am an assistant football coach at our high school. I attend numerous clinics with strength and conditioning coaches from everywhere NFL teams, college teams, and coaches hired just for strength training. I feel his workouts are great. The supplement issue just came up and I didnt really know much about ages to start using them. As far as him "being a kid and playing sports", he participates in football, wrestling, basketball, baseball. He is by far a superior athlete than his peers. I feel this is due to his weight training. He is a fifth grader, but he is the youngest kid in his grade. There is no comparison to sixth graders. He loves sports and he loves weights. I guess I could have the exact opposite and him not want to get off the couch and keep playing all those sports on the video games.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
my 10 year old takes Muy Thai and Jiu Jitsu, and they do bodyweight excersizes regularly (pushups, situps, etc), but i see no need for a 10 year old to be involved in a weightlifting program, as well as any supplements besides maybe a multivit. i would be concerned with proper growth issues, as well as maintaining flexibility as a youth.. but to be quite honest this is an interesting subject.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
10 years old is really young. Personally, I would wait until my kid was 16 years old. But, I guess, you can give him protein shakes and a multivitamin.

weight training is not productive at the age when your yong

your body has things like muturing and puberty and all kids of things that are vitile to those years not lifting

lifting at the earlyst should start at freshman or softmore in high school

now he should be in sports since he could walk

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
thats pretty fucking young to be messing with his shit. Creatine comes from beef anyways, so you want to give him creatine, cook him a steak.

Other than that, just encourage, dont mandate, sports. that will, hopefully, send him on the right track.

VikingMedic

Awards
Weightlifting as such a young age is not a bright idea. The effects on the epiphisys at that age are nearly multiplied.

As for creatine? I would not recommend it at all. Nor would I even recommend protein shakes at that age.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah wait intill 15 to start him weight training..

when i was that age I was wrestling, baseball, climbing trees, walking, biking... and the typical sports kids do around a crowded neighborhood with other kids my age. and phys ed in school one hour per day everyday...we did all kind of stuff climbing high ropes, gymnastics, hockey, much more I forget.

if he doesn't have phys ed or peers his age to play with at his age get him to join a sports league football season and baseball season or basketball season. Normal activities are plenty at that age and will keep his muscles tone. i have a huge left rear delt, and and a small right one from playing baseball hours and years on end and a strong right arm/shoulder from pitchingand throwing.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
As far as the age to start weight lifting, its a misconception that lifting too early will stunt your growth. Kids would do better to not drink milk at a young age, to help decrease allergies. And dont use anti-bacterial soap because its decreases your body natural resistance to germs, and it creates more advanced germs/viruses that are more harmful to your body.

I started lifting at 13. I was 5'10. Im now 22 and almost 6'2. steroids may stunt your growth, but lifting will just make you a stronger, healthier kid.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i wish i was growing as fast as a 10 year old :)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...Creatine comes from beef anyways, so you want to give him creatine, cook him a steak....
Yep! From meat sources; and creatine is synthesized from the amino acids, glycine, arginine, and methionine.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Protein shakes would be fine for him.
Great he's starting so young.
If he keeps it up and going strong I'd say 13 you could give it a try.

rpcenter78

rpcenter78

Awards
As far as the age to start weight lifting, its a misconception that lifting too early will stunt your growth. Kids would do better to not drink milk at a young age, to help decrease allergies. And dont use anti-bacterial soap because its decreases your body natural resistance to germs, and it creates more advanced germs/viruses that are more harmful to your body.

I started lifting at 13. I was 5'10. Im now 22 and almost 6'2. steroids may stunt your growth, but lifting will just make you a stronger, healthier kid.

I have read numerous studies that say the same thing. Over doing it and trying to push to much weight with harm growth plates. I do NOT do that, I push form and technique!! Form and technique are my PRIORITIES.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At that age it should be body weight and/or plyometric movements. Work on his coordination and hand/eye abilities. Of course some cardio too. The weights need to wait for the hormones to begin their influence. And just watch his diet a bit. Don't stress the kid out too much about what he eats. MultiVit is cool also.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt bother with supplements at that age... just my opinion

wait till at least 15-16 minimum depending on how fast they develop through puberty.. by about 17-18 you should be fine unless you're lagging behind in the nature department

I'm no expert in this field (didnt really read past posts) but I cant see someone that age really gaining much strength or muscle as natural hormone levels like testosterone would be low... and the supps wouldn't really help in my opinion

look at that kid Andrew Sandrak... yeah he was ripped to **** and had a pretty cool looking body... and strong for a kid... but he was still weaker than your average 16 year old whose been only working out in the gym for like 3months... and he was at it for years