Call me Orville Redenbacher- a lot of popping

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
HELP!! My knees and elbows are popping like crazy. My knees really hurt bad, and the popping has gotten worse. Since I started working my legs more (deep hack squats, deep squats, heavy and deep leg presses), my legs have grown, but at a price. When I touch the top edge of my knee caps they hurt; my knees hurt when I sit. I have to keep my legs stretched out to avoid the pain. My elbows pop when I flex, or when I am doing tripcep exercises.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed for support. Wish I could help, interested to see what others say.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Dammit, I thought this was about some health facts on popcorn.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
glucosamine, cissus etc. there are many products out there to try. AN's new Osteo sport has a good looking combo of them.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Buddy i have skinny legs and im popping like rice crispies when i walk or bend down.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Do you take fish oil? I think something that lubricates the joints is good in this case. Also some low impact stretching will help as well. Stretching, yoga and similar exercises promotes a natural lubrication of joints.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lots of good ideas, I would definitely recommend:

Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM. Those are you building blocks. Cissus got my joints to stop popping; feel free to pick your extract of choice. Celadrin got the job done for both of my parents where other products failed, so I tend to suggest this as well. Celadrin & MSM (120 caps) By: NOW Foods takes care of 2 of them, Osteosport hits it from a bunch of angles as well.

Cutting back on the heavy lifting could help, but who wants to do that ;) Just pay attention to your form, and try getting some supps to help reinforce your joints. I could have listed more and you probably don't need all those; I would start off with those and see if it improves in 6-8 weeks. Rebuilding joints is a slow process and you've clearly damaged yours through training. Progress comes with a price.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Don't go so deep on lifts if you want to avoid knee problems. Or you can try the supplement everyone has listed above to try and combat it.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have decided to give any type of squatting exercises a break for a while. I will just do stuff like, leg curls, hip abductors, and light leg extensions, and also SDL, RDL.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have decided to give any type of squatting exercises a break for a while. I will just do stuff like, leg curls, hip abductors, and light leg extensions, and also SDL, RDL.
Another thing, besides not going down so far, would be to warm-up with light weight on the leg extension machine. I usually do like 3-4 sets of 18-20 reps.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Buddy i have skinny legs and im popping like rice crispies when i walk or bend down.
I had the popping for years now, but they did not hurt. Do yours hurt? If all I had was the popping, I would not be so concerned. Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to the popping sound, maybe my knees would be in better shape. Hopefully it is not too late to repair them. I will get some celadrin with msm from the local nutrition depot, then bridge with osteo sport when it arrives from NP.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I thought when you go down partially, it puts more stress on your knees, especially on hack squats. It is so bad now, I can't even do squats with my body weight, or attempt to stand after sitting, without wincing in pain. Do you all think wrapping my knees in the future will help to minimize damage?

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
I started wrapping my knees for leg press and squats and I think it helps a lot. Sometimes my knees would get a little sore but nothing bad. Now with the wraps the soreness is pretty much non existent.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Ok, I just called my local nutrition shop looking some of the stuff you guys recommended, and he is trying to sell me a product called Joint Renew by Nurtitox, tell me what you guys think
http://store.nutritox.com/NutriStore/p-8-joint-renew.aspx

I'm not familiar with the brand but there are a lot of joint formulas out there. I would definitely get a combined formula and not just cissus or gluc. etc. As always do a little comparison shopping and consider the brand reputation...you get what you pay for but you can also over pay.

I find that it takes several weeks for any of them to begin having an effect and it will be subtle at first. The popping won't be so sharp & loud etc. It probably will never go away but it can get better.

Modifying your lifts is a good idea but I would include the supps also.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I had the popping for years now, but they did not hurt. Do yours hurt? If all I had was the popping, I would not be so concerned. Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to the popping sound, maybe my knees would be in better shape. Hopefully it is not too late to repair them. I will get some celadrin with msm from the local nutrition depot, then bridge with osteo sport when it arrives from NP.
If your knees are going snap, crackle, pop, I think that's a sign to start taking precautions.

"My knees sound like a grand finale of 4th of July fireworks when I walk... I started years ago, but now it hurts really bad."

Preventative measures for degenerative situations.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I'm not familiar with the brand but there are a lot of joint formulas out there. I would definitely get a combined formula and not just cissus or gluc. etc. As always do a little comparison shopping and consider the brand reputation...you get what you pay for but you can also over pay.

I find that it takes several weeks for any of them to begin having an effect and it will be subtle at first. The popping won't be so sharp & loud etc. It probably will never go away but it can get better.

Modifying your lifts is a good idea but I would include the supps also.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that is what I said to him when he said the brand, I have never heard of them. But he says it is selling like crazy and that people are getting results (like he would tell me if they were not). His big pitch is the amount of MG in each ingredient, ie , Chondroitin Sulfate, MSN and the other stuff. I feel I need something that has those and some cissus as well. I am not knowledgeable with all the scientific stuff, but from what you guys are recommending, it seems I definitely need something that has all the things in this product, plus cissus as well. AM I right?

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Ok, one last entry from me: I did some more searching around, and found osteobolic-c from Applied Nutri, the same company that produces osteo-sport. Based on you guys experience, how do they match up?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
I use the Osteo-C but haven't ordered any of the Sport yet...still have a whole bottle of the C. I ordered several bottles so am working my way thru it but I definitely plan on switching to the Sport. I've used several of the AN products and have been very satisfied.

I've also tried the cheap stuff from Wal Mart and Sams Club when i was first trying different glucosamine supps. They were a waste...like I said you get what you pay for.

I currently use a private brand for the gluc. and the Osteo_c for the Cissus.

I also was satisfied with USP Labs Super Cissus but switched to AN because I was using several of their other products.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
How is the osteo-c working for you so far? If it is working, how soon did you feel results? I feel I might have to put off my cycle for a while until this gets under control, or just limit my leg workouts to exercises that don't aggravate my knee.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would cut out leg extensions all together- they put a lot of cross-wise shearing force on the knee- we did a pretty decent research project on it for one of my graduate biomechanics courses- they might be the cause of your issues...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I would cut out leg extensions all together- they put a lot of cross-wise shearing force on the knee- we did a pretty decent research project on it for one of my graduate biomechanics courses- they might be the cause of your issues...
What would a better alternative for quad isolation be?

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Well I've been on knee/joint supps for 4 - 5 years now. I get in moods where I stop taking so many supps/pills and my knees are the first thing that complains. Like I said it's a softening of the pain, popping and stiffness and I notice it a lot when I drop off.

I know it's dumb and lazy but i just seem to do it every year or so and I can't really explain why.

Like I said I like the Osteo-C a lot and do plan on switching to the Osteo-Sport because of the extra ingredients in it. The C usually takes about 3+ weeks for me to feel the softening effects when I've dropped off and started again. The glucosamine products seem to take a couple of weeks longer for me to notice a difference and I usually take both (again that's why I'm switching to the Sport). I also start very high in the dosages then once I feel the effect i start backing down to a maintenance dose.

I am at 200# ((not in good shape right now so probably 25% BF or so). The C is recommended at 4 caps twice sdaily for me and I restart at 3 caps 3xday then back off usually to 3 caps 2xday.

the glucosamine formula I use (Advocare brand) has 1,500 mg per 3 caps and I do 4 caps 3xday to start then back off to 3 caps 2xday. it seems most brands put a lot of glucosamine in so i assume it takes a lot to have an effect.

I'm not sold on the hyurolic acid in oral form (my Orthopedic Dr looked into it for me) but it's in the Sport formula anyway. I get the shots annually and sometime 2 x year. I have really trashed knees from 40 yrs of taekwondo and other martial arts plus a couple of motrocycle crashes.

I am sold on the Glucosamine & Cissus. I've read mixed studies about the MSM, and Chondriton but it's been whether or not they help vs any negatives so I use formulas with them just because.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
What would a better alternative for quad isolation be?
Found this:

Warming up with 5 minutes of low-impact aerobics, such as walking or riding a stationary exercise bike, increases blood supply to the muscles to help prevent injury and stiffness.

Quadriceps Strengthening
Quad Strengthening Contractions:
Sit in chair. Extend legs, heels to floor. Keep knees straight (or as straight as possible if you have arthritis.) Tighten thigh muscles. Hold for count of 10. Relax for count of 3. Do 10 repetitions. You can do this several times throughout the day. You can build up to 2 or 3 sets of 10 repetitions at a time.

Quad Strengthening Leg lifts:
Lie flat on back. Bend left knee at 90-degree angle, keeping foot flat on floor. Keeping the right leg straight, slowly lift it to the height of the left knee. Hold for a count of 3. Repeat 10 times. Switch sides. Work up to 10 sets of 10 over several weeks.

Safety Tip:
Leg lifts: Lifting both legs at the same time causes excessive stress on your lower back so
only lift one leg at a time; the opposite leg should be kept slightly bent with foot on floor.

Quad Strengthening Short-Arc Leg Extensions:
Sit or lie on floor. Place a rolled up towel under your thigh for support. Keep you leg straight and raise your foot about six inches off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Slowly lower your foot, bending your knee. Do 10 repetitions. Switch sides.

Quad Strengthening Knee Dips:
Stand with knees slightly flexed. Point your toes straight ahead.
Make sure your kneecaps are also pointed straight ahead.
Lift one leg up and balance on the other leg. Slowly lower yourself up and down ONLY a few inches. Keep the knee of the leg you are balancing on slightly flexed. Your knees must remain pointing straight forward. Do not let them turn inward. Stand straight, do not lean you body to one side. Do 10 dips. Switch sides.
If you feel pain in your knees, start with fewer dips.

Quad Strengthening Partial Squats:
Double leg partial squat: Stand. Keep Back Upright. Knees pointing straight ahead - inline with feet and hips. Slowly lower yourself. Don't bend your knees beyond a 90-degree angle, if 90 degrees is too difficult bend even less.

Safety Tip: Make sure your knees do not extend beyond your toes when doing partial squats. Keeping your weight behind your knees reduces the pressure on the knee joint during the squat. Bending the knees beyond 90 degrees (a right angle) places excessive strain on the knee.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
RMS80..what about limited range extensions. That's what my knee Dr allows me to do. 15 - 20 % range of motion maximum.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Don't go so deep on lifts if you want to avoid knee problems. Or you can try the supplement everyone has listed above to try and combat it.
I think that is a myth and you can actually strengthen your knees with deep squats as long as you don't "bounce" at the bottom. I can try to dig up some info, but maybe RMS80 can chime back in and give his opinion.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Another product I've not tried but I use the AI Cycle support & the Life Cycle...good products.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Also, It may be a great time for you to try Essentials. It has all your joint support formula plus all your daily needs in one.
Shameless, I know :D
Essentials + Joint Complex (648 g) By: Anabolic Innovations
How dare you try to use my thread to do a sales pitch.....JK. yeah I was looking at that. How does it compare to some of the other popular ones on here that all the guys rave about. Namely cissus, osteo-sport, super cissus rx, animal flex, blah, blah, etc? By the way, I sure feel qualifed for a sponsored log or sample of your essential.......oooooh the pain, if only I had some of that essential so I can go on with my workouts. Do you want me to send a picture of my puppy dog eyes to help sway you lol?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
How dare you try to use my thread to do a sales pitch.....JK. yeah I was looking at that. How does it compare to some of the other popular ones on here that all the guys rave about. Namely cissus, osteo-sport, super cissus rx, animal flex, blah, blah, etc? By the way, I sure feel qualifed for a sponsored log or sample of your essential.......oooooh the pain, if only I had some of that essential so I can go on with my workouts. Do you want me to send a picture of my puppy dog eyes to help sway you lol?
I know something you can use for free. Some tips on rehabilitative exercises.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Force where is the post with the link ?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think that is a myth and you can actually strengthen your knees with deep squats as long as you don't "bounce" at the bottom. I can try to dig up some info, but maybe RMS80 can chime back in and give his opinion.
That may very well be true, but if his knees are already sore, he should limit the amount that his knees are involved in the movement. This is a helpful read...

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually do calves and hams before quads for the warm up benefits. You might be able to do timed wall sits. Just make sure the knees are at 90 or more. 4 sets of 1 minute and you should feel it. You might need to work up to 1 minute. Good recs on the supplements given. Anything I have read has said the extensions are one of the worst stressors on your knee joints. All the best to ya!!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/anabolic-innovations/essentials-joint-complex-648-g.html has a joint-complex that consists of
Flexability Support Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Bromelain, CetylMyristoleate (CMO 20%), Turmeric Extract (Curcumin) Turmeric Root P.E. 95% Hyaluronic Acid, Naringin, Bioperine 2500 mg **
and Joint Support Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondroitin, Bromelain 2100 mg .

Those ingredients are some of the standards, and many products include them. The only thing it's missing is some Cissus, but it's got most of the others covered.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/anabolic-innovations/essentials-joint-complex-648-g.html has a joint-complex that consists of
Flexability Support Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Bromelain, CetylMyristoleate (CMO 20%), Turmeric Extract (Curcumin) Turmeric Root P.E. 95% Hyaluronic Acid, Naringin, Bioperine 2500 mg **
and Joint Support Glucosamine Sulfate, Chondroitin, Bromelain 2100 mg .

Those ingredients are some of the standards, and many products include them. The only thing it's missing is some Cissus, but it's got most of the others covered.
Damn, looks like a sick formula!

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I won a creative writing/advertising contest with AN and i am hoping they can give me some Osteo-sport because i am due some RPM and i already have some. My knees could really use it, (fingers crossed)!!

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
sounds like you may be coming in too deep in the range of motion.

one of the smartest guys i know is an expert in biomechanics and has been working for about 20 years, was a dedicated powerlifter, now a trainer/ physical therapist, and has worked with a lot of people who were injured in car accidents, had surgeries ect. when i would train with him he would always point out stuff that can mess you up, one of the number one things be would warn me about was coming in too close on leg presses, or tricep stuff. we all know how similar knees and elbows are in structure and the way the tendons hook up on the joints you can really put a lot of strain on them when youre going very far past 90 degree bends.

i think you should try and limit the range of motion to about 90 degrees and see if it starts feeling better.
but it would be a much better idea to rest the knees for a while and let things heal up... my guess would be that you have been putting too much strain on your tendons from coming in too deep. if that is in fact the case then you should let the damage heal, or else it's only going to get worse. then there's no amount of glucosomine, ect. that is going to fix a torn tendon.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks eatmeat, that is part of my healing process. Take a rest from certain leg exercises, and keep my ROM to 90 degrees, plus I am going to start wrapping my knees. That brings up a question: Does that mean that atg are bad for knees?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
keep going all the way down....but check your form...make sure your pushing through your heels when squatting and not leaning to far forward and pushing with your toes...this puts a lot of strain on the knee....also i find that 200mgs of hyaluronic acid lubes the joints up quite well...i ve been using the animal flex and and adding in another 100mgs or so of h.a.