Protein and creatine separation

BMcCune

BMcCune

Awards
So, I've searched high and low for some sort of report on whether or not creatine and protein should be consumed separately or not, and I can't seem to get a straight ****in' answer. Some claim the two fight each other for consumption support, some claim protein assists absorption of the creatine. I've taken the two together for a long time, and always had good results, but never together without a stack of other supps, so I can't say that I've ever isolated the two myself to see if there is any difference. I wonder if I'm just wasting the creatine and I need to keep them separate, or if I'm just hearing a bunch of B.S. from shade-tree dietitians. What do you think?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just make sure you take the creatine with some sort of sugar to help it get uptaken. I don't see an issue with taking it with protein, pre and post-WO shakes are the perfect places to take creatine.

BMcCune

BMcCune

Awards
I take it both pre and post WO, but I keep hearing nasty rumors that there is some sort of problem with the two being consumed together in the same serving.

W

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
I use a tablespoon of Creatine Mono in my Post WO shake always

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I take it both pre and post WO, but I keep hearing nasty rumors that there is some sort of problem with the two being consumed together in the same serving.
No way. I used to take my mono like this until I started the grape juice thing with CM and Glutamine. I don't miss the way that **** tasted though. This was also before I discovered shaker bottles and all that together did not mix up well with a spoon/fork. I am freaking spoiled now!

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Personally i take a spoon of Creatine, Glutamine and my 3 scoops of protein after a workout... Im thinking about changing it up though cause i havent seen any new increases or gains. Sides not being sore...

EatMeat

EatMeat

Awards
there is a lot of conflicting info out there about creatine/glutamine dosing and timing.

one common idea is that creatine and glutamine attatch to the same receptors and if taken simultaniously will compete for receptors.

another is that it makes no difference, and that both can be absorbed independent of one another.

personally i just try to seperate them and not take them within about an hour of eachother. I like to take my creatine with orange juice. taking it with sugars and inducing a big insulin spike is the best way to increase it's absorbtion.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
cytosport sells cytogainer that has creatine mixed in with it....they would be wasting money f i wasnt thought to do something positive when taken together.......i have always done it

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
Personally i take a spoon of Creatine, Glutamine and my 3 scoops of protein after a workout... Im thinking about changing it up though cause i havent seen any new increases or gains. Sides not being sore...

3 scoops of protein powder would have me shixtting by the time i got done drinking it....if i take more then 50 grams protein at a time i just get the runsss....

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, I've searched high and low for some sort of report on whether or not creatine and protein should be consumed separately or not, and I can't seem to get a straight ****in' answer. Some claim the two fight each other for consumption support, some claim protein assists absorption of the creatine. I've taken the two together for a long time, and always had good results, but never together without a stack of other supps, so I can't say that I've ever isolated the two myself to see if there is any difference. I wonder if I'm just wasting the creatine and I need to keep them separate, or if I'm just hearing a bunch of B.S. from shade-tree dietitians. What do you think?
Co-ingestion of carbohydrates (70-100g) has been shown to enhance creatine accumulation in the muscle (Green, Hultman, MasDonald, Sewell & Greenhaff, 1996). Ingestion of protein causes an insulin response (i.e. releases insulin), as carbohydrates do. Therefore I see no reason why there should be a problem with taking creatine in conjunction with protein.