ADHD/Depression Supplements

steinmass83

steinmass83

Banned
Awards
I have been on Zoloft for 6 years for social anxiety/depression/anger. I have also been on a variety of ADHD medication for focus, concentration, etc.

For the last 2 of the 6 years of my Zoloft and ADHD career, I have been using prohormones / legal anabolics.

First off, I want to get off the Zoloft. Second off, I have been searching around the forums for advice for an alternative for ADHD medication and was recommended Piracetam and L-Carnitine. I bought both. Wow -- What a horrible idea. I would take the bitter Piracetam stacked with a L-Carnitine pill. I would be energized for about 20 minutes. After that, I crashed like HELL. Every time this happened. I would proceeded to take another dose. Same thing happened. This has happened for 3 days now. I've given up on it.

So the ADHD thing -- This is killing me. I am so tired of drinking 4 energy drinks a day to feel "normal" and alert. There has to be some solution out there besides OTC medication.

On the Zoloft side, I've read a lot of 5-htp, Relora, Sensoril, etc. I am looking for something that I can do long-term that will possibly help with anxiety and such AND that would work good with ADHD supplements.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
3-5 grams of a good quality fish oil daily goes a long way. Takes a while to notice the effects, but it works. I'm bipolar and on Lamictal and Abilify, but I would still never give up my fish oil.

ludacris007

ludacris007

Awards
  • Established
cabergoline has been looked at for ADHD if i am not mistaken. could be completely wrong. let me look again real fast

ludacris007

ludacris007

Awards
  • Established
it is a dopamine agonist. with some interesting off label uses. not necesarily used for ADHD but it may help. adderall and ritalin are the 1st line treatments for ADHD however.

steinmass83

steinmass83

Banned
Awards
Yes, but I am looking for something that is NOT OTC

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Pick up some flax oil (or fish oil), 5 HTP, and St. Johns Wort (liquid form)

They have done wonders for me and I have severe anxiety. Good luck bro :thumbsup:

steinmass83

steinmass83

Banned
Awards
from my searching, cabergoline is a pharmacy drug. Of course you can buy it online like any medication (adderall, provigil, etc) so this would be a OTC medication. Am I wrong?!

Freqfly -- Whats the dosage on those supps

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
from my searching, cabergoline is a pharmacy drug. Of course you can buy it online like any medication (adderall, provigil, etc) so this would be a OTC medication. Am I wrong?!

Freqfly -- Whats the dosage on those supps
adderall is a scheduled drug, you'll be in deep **** if you get caught with it without a prescription.

J

JJC

Awards
  • Established
So the ADHD thing -- This is killing me. I am so tired of drinking 4 energy drinks a day to feel "normal" and alert. There has to be some solution out there besides OTC medication.

On the Zoloft side, I've read a lot of 5-htp, Relora, Sensoril, etc. I am looking for something that I can do long-term that will possibly help with anxiety and such AND that would work good with ADHD supplements.
You drink energy drinks to feel alert? I'm confused. Aren't stimulants like Adderall used to help calm and control people who are ADHD?

As far as the Zoloft goes, I wouldn't take yourself off of it. There aren't any OTC meds that compare to depression meds. Yes you can try St John's Wort or anything else you mentioned above but about two weeks after stopping the Zoloft, you will be depressed again. Is the Zoloft not helping? Maybe there is something that would work better for you? Try exploring that with your doctor. At the same time, pick up the book "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns MD and find a therapist with a background in cognitive behavioral therapy. If you are willing to and believe you can change the way you interpret things, you will be better off in the long run. Then maybe some day you won't need the meds.

Good luck.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been on Zoloft for 6 years for social anxiety/depression/anger. I have also been on a variety of ADHD medication for focus, concentration, etc.

For the last 2 of the 6 years of my Zoloft and ADHD career, I have been using prohormones / legal anabolics.

First off, I want to get off the Zoloft. Second off, I have been searching around the forums for advice for an alternative for ADHD medication and was recommended Piracetam and L-Carnitine. I bought both. Wow -- What a horrible idea. I would take the bitter Piracetam stacked with a L-Carnitine pill. I would be energized for about 20 minutes. After that, I crashed like HELL. Every time this happened. I would proceeded to take another dose. Same thing happened. This has happened for 3 days now. I've given up on it.

I am glad you posted this.I was wondering if I were the only one who got the bad l-carnitine crash.ALCAR was my favorite body recomp supplement,but I had to give it up due to the side effects.
As a previous poster said,if the Zoloft is working and you are not experiencing significant side effects from it,why stop using it?

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
5 htp
fish oil
do a few searches and get some more info

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking Effexor XR for 4 years now with no plan on getting off. I've reduced my dosage to minimal now, but I still need a little bit to help with my anxiety. I've been contemplating on trying L-dopa for better concentration and maybe some bedroom benefits.

A

avenue Red

Awards
If you arent having bad side effects on Zoloft like i did i was say stick with it. Ive taken different anti-depressants and vyvanse and adderall. i write alot of stuff down to see how its affecting me. If you want to stop taking zoloft i say u gradually try and lower the dose because after i stopped taking it i had a horrible crash and it was not pretty.
instead of adderall ive been taking Phenadrine but i do still take adderall when i need it. and for xanax (i still need that alot)
you should talk to your doctor about stuff and see what he recommends.