Caffeine after training

likkayouth

Awards
Stumbled upon the following study:

"High rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis after exhaustive exercise when carbohydrate is coingested with caffeine."

Abstract:
We determined the effect of coingestion of caffeine (Caff) with carbohydrate (CHO) on rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis during recovery from exhaustive exercise in seven trained subjects who completed two experimental trials in a randomized, double-blind crossover design. The evening before an experiment subjects performed intermittent exhaustive cycling and then consumed a low-CHO meal. The next morning subjects rode until volitional fatigue. On completion of this ride subjects consumed either CHO [4 g/kg body mass (BM)] or the same amount of CHO + Caff (8 mg/kg BM) during 4 h of passive recovery. Muscle biopsies and blood samples were taken at regular intervals throughout recovery. Muscle glycogen levels were similar at exhaustion [ approximately 75 mmol/kg dry wt (dw)] and increased by a similar amount ( approximately 80%) after 1 h of recovery (133 +/- 37.8 vs. 149 +/- 48 mmol/kg dw for CHO and Caff, respectively). After 4 h of recovery Caff resulted in higher glycogen accumulation (313 +/- 69 vs. 234 +/- 50 mmol/kg dw, P < 0.001). Accordingly, the overall rate of resynthesis for the 4-h recovery period was 66% higher in Caff compared with CHO (57.7 +/- 18.5 vs. 38.0 +/- 7.7 mmol x kg dw(-1) x h(-1), P < 0.05). After 1 h of recovery plasma Caff levels had increased to 31 +/- 11 microM (P < 0.001) and at the end of the recovery reached 77 +/- 11 microM (P < 0.001) with Caff. Phosphorylation of CaMK(Thr286) was similar after exercise and after 1 h of recovery, but after 4 h CaMK(Thr286) phosphorylation was higher in Caff than CHO (P < 0.05). Phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)(Thr172) and Akt(Ser473) was similar for both treatments at all time points. We provide the first evidence that in trained subjects coingestion of large amounts of Caff (8 mg/kg BM) with CHO has an additive effect on rates of postexercise muscle glycogen accumulation compared with consumption of CHO alone.

I just hope it wasn't sponsored by Starbucks ...

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Stumbled upon the following study:

"High rates of muscle glycogen resynthesis after exhaustive exercise when carbohydrate is coingested with caffeine."

Abstract:

large amounts of Caff (8 mg/kg BM) with CHO has an additive effect on rates of postexercise muscle glycogen accumulation compared with consumption of CHO alone.

I just hope it wasn't sponsored by Starbucks ...
**** ingesting 776mg of caffeine post workout, Not only is that an insane ****ing amount, I workout 2 hours before bed, that would either put me to sleep or keep me up all f8cking night.

budomonkey

Awards
Agreed.

Regardless of glycogen resynthesis, that can't be healthy in the long run.

whiteonblackL

whiteonblackL

Awards
i cant stand coffee, this would never even cross my mind to try lol

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Caffeine is a stimulant , carnt be good for the recovery process i would have thought.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
interesting.

however, glycogen resynthesis rate should only be a concern you are an endurance athlete training at least 2x/day.

if your goals are strength/muscle, then enhancing positive protein balance and synthesis should be top priority after training.
i'm curious if caffine helps shuttle aminos to damaged muscle cells. since caffine is a vasoconstrictor, i would not expect it to help.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that p/wo caffeine helps limit DOMS.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I do green tea, the lipton packets NOT pre-bottled shyt, sometimes for this reason....

- helps keep metabolism up(heat)
- The caffeine is a nice boost, GT only has about 40-80mg i think pending brand and soak time.
- I like the taste.
-great antioxidants to fight the stress from a WO.

Green Tea is great for everyday and now most companies have them infused with flavors.

EDIT: I think the cortisol release would not be worth it from the original rec. dose.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
There was an article about this in last month's muscular development, but the test was run on endurance athletes, not bodybuilders.