2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

Here's an article:

Glutamine and Pre-workout

You raise a very important concern. Muscle glycogen is the primary fuel of intense exercise. Over 80% of energy (ATP) demands during weight training exercise are met by muscle glycogen. Just one workout can deplete muscle glycogen stores by up to 40%. Lifting weights with low muscle glycogen stores results in muscle weakness, decreased work capacity and the inability to produce maximal force. Therefore, training with low muscle glycogen stores virtually guarantees poor results from weight training.

However, even though many athletes train while following a calorie-restricted diet for much of the year, they can still achieve maximum glycogen storage in their muscles if they adhere to a few simple rules.

Firstly, it comes down to nutrient-timing; certain types of carbohydrates maximize muscle glycogen storage better than others when consumed at precise times of the day. That’s why I designed the The Anabolic Nutrient Timing Factor. An easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide on what to eat and when to maximize muscle glycogen synthesis, enhance recovery and intensify the anabolic response to weight training.

Secondly, studies have shown that supplementation with 8 grams of glutamine after exercise will enhance glycogen storage. The combination of glutamine and 20-40 grams of glucose works even better. That’s why I always recommend at least 5-10 grams of GL3 L-Glutamine before or after every Max-OT workout.

Finally, another study has shown that supplementation with the branch chain amino acids (BCAA) close to exercise not only helped to promote better muscle glycogen re-synthesis, this strategy also ensured better fat metabolism after exercise. However the dose of free form amino acids used in this study would prove too costly for most athletes on a daily basis. Thankfully there is a much more efficient and effective way to obtain the exact same high dose of these amino acids.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

I used glutamine in the past but I think it's a little overrated.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

The cost of it led me to try other supplements with equally effective results. It's up to you though.
  5. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Again you need high doses in order to fight off muscle catabolism. If you take the recommended amount you might fight off a cold or improve gut health. I personally have not had good luck with glutamine, but it's cheap. You'd be better off with Amino acids / EAAs / BCAAs
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

I agree with RenegadeRows, high doses are needed for it to be effective. Some recommend 30+ grams a day. 10 upon waking, 10 post workout and 10 before bed. There are numerous studies on it. I might reintroduce it to my regimen.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

Remember glutamine is the main fuel for immune cells. So supplementing with it will serve this purpose. Glutamine is made inside the muscle cell so having it transported to muscles post workout via supplementation is highly unlikely. The stronger your immune system is, the better your recovery and the more you'll grow. Provided your caloric intake is on point!
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Like anything else either Glutamine works for you or it doesnt.I think you only need 3 grms dly combined with 2 grms creatine and 13 grms of whey. JMO
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Here's an article:

Glutamine and Pre-workout

You raise a very important concern. Muscle glycogen is the primary fuel of intense exercise. Over 80% of energy (ATP) demands during weight training exercise are met by muscle glycogen. Just one workout can deplete muscle glycogen stores by up to 40%. Lifting weights with low muscle glycogen stores results in muscle weakness, decreased work capacity and the inability to produce maximal force. Therefore, training with low muscle glycogen stores virtually guarantees poor results from weight training.

However, even though many athletes train while following a calorie-restricted diet for much of the year, they can still achieve maximum glycogen storage in their muscles if they adhere to a few simple rules.

Firstly, it comes down to nutrient-timing; certain types of carbohydrates maximize muscle glycogen storage better than others when consumed at precise times of the day. Thatís why I designed the The Anabolic Nutrient Timing Factor. An easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide on what to eat and when to maximize muscle glycogen synthesis, enhance recovery and intensify the anabolic response to weight training.

Secondly, studies have shown that supplementation with 8 grams of glutamine after exercise will enhance glycogen storage. The combination of glutamine and 20-40 grams of glucose works even better. Thatís why I always recommend at least 5-10 grams of GL3 L-Glutamine before or after every Max-OT workout.

Finally, another study has shown that supplementation with the branch chain amino acids (BCAA) close to exercise not only helped to promote better muscle glycogen re-synthesis, this strategy also ensured better fat metabolism after exercise. However the dose of free form amino acids used in this study would prove too costly for most athletes on a daily basis. Thankfully there is a much more efficient and effective way to obtain the exact same high dose of these amino acids.
    good post- from all the studies I have seen- it seems to only be effective at really high doses- the problem isn't necessarily that it doesn't work, but that the intestines seem to want to keep it all for themselves- they are glutamine hogs
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

it may be slightly over hyped however that doesnt mean it doesnt work or help. at the price for 1000g its worth spending the money on it.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.96%

Thanks for all the replys

ive got regular glutamine an buffered glutamine GL6 by nutra sport. Im wondering if the buffered is another thing like Kre an mono with the whole buffered idea. Saying buffered is better an then back to no regular is
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.11%

Personally, I don't use glutamine. I never noticed anything from it.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.49%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I always add 1 spoonful of glutamine to every shake. The only thing I feel from it is my muscle has stayed fairly consistent during my extended cut. The price is fairly decent as well
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.06%

i find it effective in high doses. i only use it when cutting to help with recovery, any help to preserve muscle, and keep strength up is a plus for me so i use it. i also use peptide-bonded glutamine over the free form, i find it works better and i dont need as much.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    good post- from all the studies I have seen- it seems to only be effective at really high doses- the problem isn't necessarily that it doesn't work, but that the intestines seem to want to keep it all for themselves- they are glutamine hogs

The intestines love their glutamine. So the key is to give your immune system the glutamine and muscle glutamine stores won't be robbed so much resulting in more anabolism.
  16. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Is it effective. Our over rated?
    I actually did my meta-analysis on Glutamine Supplementation earlier this year (See http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...on-immune.html).

From my findings I would say that glutamine supplementation would be good for the average person who does little or no exercise, in helping with immune function. For the athlete or heavy trainee, unless supplementing with very high doses (and even then, studies have shown this to have no significant effects) (Candow, et al., 2001), then it's debatable whether or not glutamine supplementation is actually useful for aiding in the recovery process and immune response; and there is some difference in effectiveness and dosages between anaerobic and aerobic athletes.

As with any supplement, it comes down to personal preference and what works for YOUR body.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. glutamine from NP
    By bigschmidt821 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM
  3. n-acetyl-l-glutamine vs. glutamine peptides
    By biggun2181 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 09:05 PM
  4. glutamine and no2