Can one go to the gym too much?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%

Can one go to the gym too much?

Ive been working out now for about three months, with my schedule I am able to go to the gym about 6 out of 7 days. Heres my typical run: WO1 bis and tris for 40 min, WO2 chest for 40, and WO3 back and shoulders...all with 40 mins of cardio w my heart rate between 151 and 165 at the end of the work out, and then 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 situps on the swiss ball. My body seems to react better when I do 2 days WO and one day off as opposed to 6 days in a row. I guess Im looking to mix it up a little.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.58%

Shouldn't this be in the training forum?
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.03%

my stand as bodybuilding (don't know what your goals are) with 'proper' diet and nutriton i.e lots of cals, you can train the same group every 3 days. i don't recommend doing this consistently though as you will wear down more and more quickly and put a toll on your CNS.

with that out of the way i like to do on 3 off one but no ones perfect. on 2 off 1 is really what i need to do as you are but i am a hermit and work and train is all i do or want to for that matter

resting
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.64%

You can easily over train your body. It needs rest!

What are your goals first off?

I'll give you a little general info.

Split looks ok if you feel that each muslce group is fully ready when you use it. Mostly go by feel and listen to what your body is telling you.

If your still sore from another workout and have to use part of that muscle group for another day it might be best to just save it and give yourself time to rest.

I noticed you don't have a true leg day. I would suggest you cut out some of that cardio (more on that later) and replace a day in there with legs. You can use it as a split between upper body workouts

Cardio, I don't know if your trying to gain mass or not most do either none or 1-2 tiems a week cardio
    If your going for weight loss then 2-4 times a week seems to set it off for most people. Keep in mind lean muscle mass is going to help more then anything (besides diet) to burn that fat away.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.91%

Why aren't you training your legs?
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.27%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

six days a week can be done, but requires a delicate balance, lots of sleep guaranteed every night, very specific eating habits and good supplementation.

For a beginner, you're going to grow on just about any resistance program you choose to do, but some are going to give you better results than others. You need muscle everywhere, there is no real need yet to focus on just your arms for an entire workout - you're going to pack the most mass on them with heavy compound movements like the bench press, dips, chin-ups and rows, ESPECIALLY as a beginner.

Furthermore - as striking said - train your legs! Squats, deadlifts and cleans and presses are the BEST mass building movements out there and all work your legs tremendously.

Start with 3 or 4days a week, either total body routines or at most an upper/lower body split. Your split is unbalanced: you have to realize that you are training your arms 3 days in a row with what you are doing now. THEY NEED REST TO GROW!

Read up here on AM, there's plenty of good training ideas around. don't read fitness mags, their info is not pertinent to ANY beginning lifter.

If you want a specific program, check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, or there is an actual Westside training routine posted on here somewhere, just search for it.

Also, RenegadeRows threads on bulking have great training tips for gaining size.

One last thing - situps on the swiss ball are a real waste of time unless used post-exhaustion. Go with hanging leg-lifts, hanging pikes, reverse crunches, cable-crunches and, most important for good ab development, heavy standing movements like squats and deadlifts.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.1%

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    my stand as bodybuilding (don't know what your goals are) with 'proper' diet and nutriton i.e lots of cals, you can train the same group every 3 days. i don't recommend doing this consistently though as you will wear down more and more quickly and put a toll on your CNS.

with that out of the way i like to do on 3 off one but no ones perfect. on 2 off 1 is really what i need to do as you are but i am a hermit and work and train is all i do or want to for that matter
    resting
    With you on that!