Why do some supps taste so bad!

  1. New Member
    TruffleShuffle's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    283
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    57.64%

    Why do some supps taste so bad!


    Some you can swallow and not notice a taste whatsoever. Others however.....

    I had some Anabolic Pump arrive today, and even tho this stuff is sealed inside the same type of capsule as alot of other supps, the moment it touched my tongue i could taste it, and it wasnt a welcome taste!

    Not quite the same but i also had some NOW Green phytofoods arrive in the same order. I'm seriously considering just putting that to the back of the cupboard as i cant find a way to mask the horrific taste!

    Gotta say tho, loving the Green Mag Sour Apple Flavour.

    If anyone can give me any recommendations with the Phytofoods i'd be extremely great full. Holding my nose and chugging it simply isnt an option.

  2. Advanced Member
    GreenSquats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    631
    Rep Power
    393
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    3.03%

    Some powders just taste horrid because the companies aren't very good at flavoring... or it's just extremely difficult to flavor the ingredients. You got to remember, even though it's nasty it's healthy... not like your chugging soda. As for the pills... almost all pills taste nasty. Your supposed to get water in your mouth, and then hold the pill with your teeth before you swallow it....

    Hope this helps (and sorry I can't answer the last question)
  3. Advanced Member
    Maxwell600's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    30.34%

    no animal paks for you! lol
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    rms80's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,224
    Rep Power
    241543
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    35.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    most herbals taste absolutely horrific- I have worked with just about everything you can think of over the last 3-4 years on a daily basis- and have to do organoleptic (test consistency, taste, and smell) analysis on a lot of incoming powders- here is my top 5 list of the nastiest stuff, in terms of taste, smell, and general consistency:

    1. naringin- wonderful absorption aid and makes most supplements work even better, but has a nasty sour taste that is about 100x more bitter than grapefruit

    2. caffeine- nasty, dusty, and bitter

    3. mucuna- can jam up any capsule polisher, and can be sticky and very dusty

    4. high % tribulus- literally turns to glue in any enviroment over 35% RH, smells like rotten beer

    5. kava- horrible smell and taste

    most powdered products consist of refined, more pharmaceutical-quality type ingredients- most of these powder tend to be more neutral in terms of nasty taste, odor, etc,,,,
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  5. Elite Member
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,851
    Rep Power
    11116
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    25.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yellow Gold. Do not attempt without a parachute.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  6. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74320
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    HMB is the worst on my list.
  7. Board Sponsor
    rms80's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,224
    Rep Power
    241543
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    35.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    HMB is the worst on my list.
    HMB is very nasty
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  8. Banned
    justreading's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    YG is childs play compared to Creatine EE...

    Clear edge caps were VERY bag for caps, threw away like 8 bottles.
  9. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.52%

    simple answer...cause its all good for you! this is why we have fat people...we don't have french fry flavored herbs or twinkie flavored bars or even milkshake flavored protein that is labeled milkshake.
  10. Advanced Member
    Maxwell600's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    30.34%

    multi's are the worst.
    capsules are nothin

    edit: caffeine pills suck ass
  11. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    My Anabolic Pumps are the yellow caps - the outside appears to be coated with something from the inside.

    What doesn't kill ya can only make you stronger!
  12. Board Sponsor
    rms80's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,224
    Rep Power
    241543
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    35.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    YG is childs play compared to Creatine EE...

    Clear edge caps were VERY bag for caps, threw away like 8 bottles.
    CEE is not fun to work with at all- it tends to have a very large ether content, plus it can have some BAD hygroscopicity issues.....

    The Sinner from AX taught me a neat trick with CEE if you are bored one afternoon and have $50 to blow on a cheap microwave (j/k DO NOT TRY THIS):
    1. Meter out about 10 grams of CEE into a plastic vessel
    2. add water and mix until a slurry is formed
    3. microwave to 30s to 1 min.
    4. Watch large blue flame leap from slurry
    5.. watch as your entire kitchen and house fill with smoke as mixture ignites
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  13. Diamond Member
    strategicmove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10,754
    Rep Power
    774633
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by justreading;
    ...
    Clear edge caps were VERY bag for caps, threw away like 8 bottles.
    I had to part with three bottles! Awful!
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  14. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TruffleShuffle View Post
    Some you can swallow and not notice a taste whatsoever. Others however.....

    I had some Anabolic Pump arrive today, and even tho this stuff is sealed inside the same type of capsule as alot of other supps, the moment it touched my tongue i could taste it, and it wasnt a welcome taste!

    Not quite the same but i also had some NOW Green phytofoods arrive in the same order. I'm seriously considering just putting that to the back of the cupboard as i cant find a way to mask the horrific taste!

    Gotta say tho, loving the Green Mag Sour Apple Flavour.

    If anyone can give me any recommendations with the Phytofoods i'd be extremely great full. Holding my nose and chugging it simply isnt an option.
    All of the CL line tastes great. since I'm such a baby, I actually look forward to drinking a great tasting product.
  15. New Member
    zachwienandt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    129
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    3.02%

    Who cares how bad it tastes? Raw eggs taste like crap too, but if you want to get big then you suck it up and take it. If it works, taste shouldn't be a factor in whether or not you continue to take a product.

    [BSN products all taste pretty awesome and work. Still, there are plenty of things out there that taste pretty nasty but still work (Universal Products haha.)]
  16. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,522
    Rep Power
    41252
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    CEE is not fun to work with at all- it tends to have a very large ether content, plus it can have some BAD hygroscopicity issues.....

    The Sinner from AX taught me a neat trick with CEE if you are bored one afternoon and have $50 to blow on a cheap microwave (j/k DO NOT TRY THIS):
    1. Meter out about 10 grams of CEE into a plastic vessel
    2. add water and mix until a slurry is formed
    3. microwave to 30s to 1 min.
    4. Watch large blue flame leap from slurry
    5.. watch as your entire kitchen and house fill with smoke as mixture ignites
    How big of a flame will 500g get me

    To the OP, some supps taste bad because some things are bitter (malates etc.) and some herbs are bitter. Now imagine taking a highly concentrated extract of that herb and imagine the nasty taste!
  17. Board Sponsor
    rms80's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,224
    Rep Power
    241543
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    35.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    How big of a flame will 500g get me

    To the OP, some supps taste bad because some things are bitter (malates etc.) and some herbs are bitter. Now imagine taking a highly concentrated extract of that herb and imagine the nasty taste!
    it would probably blow up your entire kitchen
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. JP8 Taste?
    By WarcraftJJS in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
  2. Taste?
    By UNCfan1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
  3. HMB taste like ****!!!!
    By dr ozz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 05:15 AM
  4. Taste?
    By Icebrc in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in