Simple/Complex carbs clarification

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.97%

Simple/Complex carbs clarification

I'm searching through both this forum and bodybuilding.com articles and am getting confused from reading so many different things...especially with that other post regarding when you take stuff.

So - I should be taking my whey protein (50g + water, not milk) with a simple carb snack (such as yogurt? right?) right after my work out to help deliver the protein and then have a complex carb meal (such as oatmeal) just under an hour after my work out?

Or is there a different way? I guess I'm just looking for a carb expert...this whole glycogen replenishment thing is hurting my brain, especially being a pre-med student- I should PROBABLY understand these things.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflaze View Post
    I'm searching through both this forum and bodybuilding.com articles and am getting confused from reading so many different things...especially with that other post regarding when you take stuff.

So - I should be taking my whey protein (50g + water, not milk) with a simple carb snack (such as yogurt? right?) right after my work out to help deliver the protein and then have a complex carb meal (such as oatmeal) just under an hour after my work out?

Or is there a different way? I guess I'm just looking for a carb expert...this whole glycogen replenishment thing is hurting my brain, especially being a pre-med student- I should PROBABLY understand these things.
    Ive always thought it was better to take in complex rather than simple carbs. Youve got an hour to 90 minutes where your muscles are taking in nutrients after a workout. Imo complex is better. Does the whey protein have any carbs? If it does i would cut out the yogurt and just eat the oatmeal about 30-45 minutes afterwards. But thats just my opinion.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.97%

The whey protein is Isopure low carb dutch chocolate, so it only has 3g of carb (2g of dietary fiber)...so not much. Figured a nice simple carb would help deliver the nutrients to my muscles, and then a complex carb an hour after...unless I'm crazy and this is completely the wrong way to do it lol. I'm really new to the whole supplement/diet timing thing.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

After your workout you want some quick protein like you have, and simple carbs. You want the simple carbs so they replenish you faster, the complex is later.. their slow absorbing carbs, which you don't want at the time.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by wrasslin116 View Post
    After your workout you want some quick protein like you have, and simple carbs. You want the simple carbs so they replenish you faster, the complex is later.. their slow absorbing carbs, which you don't want at the time.
    Not nessicarely. I am carb sensitive and I'm worse off using just fast carbs. I did mostly fast carbs on my TKD and I had results but now I'm using just slow carbs post workout and results are much better.

To each their own.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.97%

F#*@in individuality...why can't everyone just be the same.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

after thousands of years of evolution you'd think we would by now WTF!!!!! hahahaha
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.44%

That wouldnt be any fun...you wouldnt be able to say "look how much bigger my biceps are than yours" or "dude you are so ****in weak" it would suck.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Not nessicarely. I am carb sensitive and I'm worse off using just fast carbs. I did mostly fast carbs on my TKD and I had results but now I'm using just slow carbs post workout and results are much better.

To each their own.
    It don't matter if your carb sensitive.. that's why the rest of the day is complex. If your extremely paranoid then use GDA's. But if you keep the post-workout carbs in good limits they will only be stored in your muscles.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%

It don't matter if your carb sensitive.. that's why the rest of the day is complex. If your extremely paranoid then use GDA's. But if you keep the post-workout carbs in good limits they will only be stored in your muscles.
    Wrasslin im usually with you on most things but I can't on this one. Fact of the matter is simple carbs raise insulin levels greater than complex carbs. When trying to accomplish bulking, cutting, recomping whatever for myself I'd rather stick with lower blood glucose levels because those carbs will be stored the same way as simple carbs. Your not totally glycogen depleted after a workout and if I can get those carbs to my muscle's without raiseing my blood glucose levels out of this worl then im all for it.

For me complex carbs > simple carbs. You could be just the opposite. I have a friend who slams 50gr dextrose and 50gr Malto post workout and is lean as hell (100%meso) and get's full and vascular but for me that leads to bloat and after a while belly fat.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.44%

Wrasslin im usually with you on most things but I can't on this one. Fact of the matter is simple carbs raise insulin levels greater than complex carbs. When trying to accomplish bulking, cutting, recomping whatever for myself I'd rather stick with lower blood glucose levels because those carbs will be stored the same way as simple carbs. Your not totally glycogen depleted after a workout and if I can get those carbs to my muscle's without raiseing my blood glucose levels out of this worl then im all for it.

For me complex carbs > simple carbs. You could be just the opposite. I have a friend who slams 50gr dextrose and 50gr Malto post workout and is lean as hell (100%meso) and get's full and vascular but for me that leads to bloat and after a while belly fat.
    Im gonna have to agree with distilled it just depends for each person.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Wow.. that's pretty weird. Have you experimented with GDA's?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Serum glucose levels are already raised above normal, at a significant enough amount to deliver nutrients to muscles post workout. If you were training in a fasted state, than I faster insulin spiking carbohydrates would be beneficial, or if your training to exhaustion later in the same day. However for the purposes of muscle building/glycogen replenishment, I like to suggest that people keep their insulin levels as stable as possible.

Distilled also mentioned one of the biggest factors in the grand scheme of thing, biochemical individuality.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%

Wow.. that's pretty weird. Have you experimented with GDA's?
    Yep, pretty much every single one out there. They help but I still can't go real heavy on the simple carb's. I then move to a blend even with P-Slin I got the best results with a 50/50WMS and oats combo.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.77%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yep, pretty much every single one out there. They help but I still can't go real heavy on the simple carb's. I then move to a blend even with P-Slin I got the best results with a 50/50WMS and oats combo.
    Oh, well thats interesting lol. I actualy used to do just 1-2 cups oats then I heard about doing the hi-gi. Both worked pretty good I thought.. right now I'm sticking with the high tho cuz it seems to be all good and no bad for me
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%

Oh, well thats interesting lol. I actualy used to do just 1-2 cups oats then I heard about doing the hi-gi. Both worked pretty good I thought.. right now I'm sticking with the high tho cuz it seems to be all good and no bad for me
    Hell yea bro, if it works than go for it. I'd much rather slam a dex/wms drink that 1.5cups of oats

Similar Forum Threads

1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM
  2. Post Workout Carbs ---Simple or Complex?
    By bakerderek0 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
  3. Simple vs Complex and timing
    By Pipes in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM