Ashwagandha improves endurance study

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effects of eight-week supplementation of Ashwagandha on cardiorespiratory endurance in elite Indian cyclists

ABSTRACT
Background: Cycling is an endurance sport relying mainly on aerobic capacity to provide fuel during long-duration cycling
events. Athletes are constantly searching for new methods to improve this capacity through various nutritional and ergogenic
aids. Purpose: The aim of the study was to find out the effect of Ashwagandha on the cardiorespiratory endurance capacity,
that is, aerobic capacity of elite Indian cyclists.

Materials and Methods: Forty elite (elite here refers to the participation of
the athlete in at least state-level events) Indian cyclists were chosen randomly and were equally divided into experimental
and placebo groups. The experimental group received 500 mg capsules of aqueous roots of Ashwagandha twice daily
for eight weeks, whereas the placebo group received starch capsules.

Outcome Measures: The baseline treadmill test
for the cyclists were performed to measure their aerobic capacity in terms of maximal aerobic capacity (VO2 max),
metabolic equivalent, respiratory exchange ratio (RER), and total time for the athlete to reach his exhaustion stage. After
eight weeks of supplementation, the treadmill test was again performed and results were obtained. Results: There was
significant improvement in the experimental group in all parameters, whereas the placebo group did not show any change
with respect to their baseline parameters. There was significant improvement in the experimental group in all parameters,
namely, VO2 max (t = 5.356; P < 0.001), METS (t = 4.483; P < 0.001), and time for exhaustion on treadmill (t = 4.813;
P < 0.001) in comparison to the placebo group which did not show any change with respect to their baseline parameters.

Conclusion: Ashwagandha improved the cardiorespiratory endurance of the elite athletes.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Love ashwagandha, honestly would make a great addition as a staple to the Analyzed line. i would like to see it so i can replace the cheap poverty extract i use from the health store lol

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
what would be the best way to dose? i have been doing one right in the morning and then another a few hours later before workout

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You won't "feel" ashwagandha. It does more to balance and calm you like most adaptogens, but it isn't like taking a PWO.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
ashwaganda makes me fell allot more clam and relaxed, like a clam smooth state of mind. but like kisaj said your not looking to "feel" it kick in like a stimulant lol

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
No I understand that but it supposed to help with endurance and you can "feel" if it that got better right?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is hard to say. I have been taking it for years and never noticed anything related to endurance improvement, but I never baselined it either to see if it was related.

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
That is hard to say. I have been taking it for years and never noticed anything related to endurance improvement, but I never baselined it either to see if it was related.
Ok, that was what I was most interested in. What are you using it for?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take it as part of a stack to calm my nerves and stress along with some mild anxiety.

M

made2last

Awards
Hey Kisaj I read on some other thread you like the Himalaya brand, what do you recommend as a dosage, 1 or 2 a day? Bottle says 1. I also got the bacopa from Himalaya, I have the same question for that product.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Himalaya brand is good, but after some further experimenting with other brands, I found I prefer the Swanson Bacopa because it has double the % bacosides as the other brands. I also have switched over to using Now ashwagandha.

M

made2last

Awards
Cool I'll see how it goes at 2 a day, so far I been doing 50 mg of pregnenlone and I can't keep a smile off my face, I started today on the ashwaganda and Bacopa, so far I'm loving the pregnenlone, I gotta get my mom a bottle, this stuff is amazing.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, yes it is. Just remember to not take it everyday and that feeling will last. Kind of makes you want everybody to feel like that.

Just wait until you see the memory and alertness and you'll feel like that Limitless movie.

M

made2last

Awards
Haha ur not lying, I was ok with being hooked if I get to feel this good! I started at 50 mg, they are 10 mg sublingual cherry flavored tabs, I think that's what you started at and tapered down to 10 or 5 mgs, that's what i plan on doing, I don't think I'll ad in the dhea since it's already good by itself.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My friend, add the DHEA only if you want to be walking on clouds. LOL. Half joking, it is very enjoyable.