Hypoglycemic effect of Fenugreek seed extract

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people know of fenugreeks potential testosterone boosting effect but literature has also a decent hypoglycemic effect. Research done using fenugreek seed extract suggest it may lower blood sugar via a few different mechanisms.

First is an amino acid contained within the seed called 4-hydroxyisolecuine.

4-Hydroxyisoleucine: a novel amino acid potentiator of insulin secretion.

Abstract
We report the characterization of a new insulinotropic compound, 4-hydroxyisoleucine. This amino acid has been extracted and purified from fenugreek seeds, which are known in traditional medicine for their antidiabetic properties. 4-Hydroxyisoleucine increases glucose-induced insulin release, in the concentration range of 100 micromol/l to 1 mmol/l, through a direct effect on isolated islets of Langerhans from both rats and humans. The stimulating effect of 4-hydroxyisoleucine was strictly glucose dependent; indeed, ineffective at low (3 mmol/l) or basal (5 mmol/l) glucose concentrations, the amino acid potentiated the insulin secretion induced by supranormal (6.6-16.7 mmol/l) concentrations of glucose. In addition, in the isolated perfused rat pancreas, we could show 1) that the pattern of insulin secretion induced by 4-hydroxyisoleucine was biphasic, 2) that this effect occurred in the absence of any change in pancreatic alpha- and delta-cell activity, and 3) that the more glucose concentration was increased, the more insulin response was amplified. Moreover, 4-hydroxyisoleucine did not interact with other agonists of insulin secretion (leucine, arginine, tolbutamide, glyceraldehyde). Therefore, we conclude that 4-hydroxyisoleucine insulinotropic activity might, at least in part, account for fenugreek seeds' antidiabetic properties. This secretagogue may be considered as a novel drug with potential interest for the treatment of NIDDM.
PMID: 9519714
So 4-hydroxy stimulates insulin release from the pancreas

Effect of fenugreek seeds on intravenous glucose disposition in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients

Abstract
The hypoglycaemic activity of fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum graecum) in experimental animals and humans has been well documented. Fenugreek has been shown to reduce fasting and postprandial blood glucose levels in diabetic patients. However, it is not clear whether the improvement in glucose tolerance is due to the effect of fenugreek on the absorption or metabolism of glucose. A metabolic study was carried out, and diets with or without 25 g fenugreek were given randomly to 10 non-insulin dependent diabetics, each for 15 days, in a crossover design. An intravenous glucose tolerance test (GTT) at the end of each study period indicated that fenugreek in the diet significantly reduced the area under the plasma glucose curve (AUC), half-life, and increased the metabolic clearance rate. In addition, it increased erythrocyte insulin receptors. These results suggest that fenugreek can improve peripheral glucose utilization which contributes to an improvement in glucose tolerance. Thus, fenugreek may exert its hypoglycaemic effect by acting at the insulin receptor as well as at the gastrointestinal level.

DOI: 10.1002/ptr.2650080206
Fenugreek may also increase the number of insulin receptors

Effect of Trigonella foenum graceum on blood glucose levels in normal and alloxan-diabetic mice.

Abstract
The hypoglycemic effects of a decoction and an ethanol extract of Trigenolla foenum graceum seeds on the serum glucose levels of normal and alloxan diabetic mice were studied. A single 0.5 ml oral dose of 40-80% decoctions to normal as well as alloxanized mice was followed by hypoglycemia developed over a 6-h period. Reduction in blood glucose concentration was highly significant, was maximum at 6 h and was dose-dependent. The hypoglycemia caused by the ethanol extract (200-400 mg/kg) in alloxanized mice was also dose-dependent and 200 mg/kg was comparable in effect to 200 mg/kg tolbutamide.
PMID: 3352284
…. The findings of the present investigation clearly indicate that the seeds of T. foenum graceum possess potential antidiabetic activity. This confirms the earlier findings of Ribes et al. (19681 in dogs. Since extracts were used instead of the whole seed and since the experiment was conducted on fasting mice, the effect could not be due to the gastrointestinal action of fibre. Tolbutamide significantly decreased P < 0.00051 the blood glucose level in alloxanized mice (Table 21 which indicated only partial destruction of the beta-cells by alloxan as tolbutamide is not effective in the total absence of secretory cells (Lebovitz and Feinglos, 19781. This suggests that the mechanism of antidiabetic action of the seeds may be similar to that of tolbutamide although other mechanisms are possible.
Fenugreek also appears to inhibit enzymes in the intestines that are involved in the breakdown of carbs.

So all these together lead to some decent hypoglycemic effects from fenugreek supplementation. To read more about Fenugreek and its application in this area check out this paper - http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/8/1/20.pdf

References

•Hydroxyisoleucine: a novel amino acid potentiator of insulin action. Sauvaire Y et al. Diabetes 47:206-10. (1998)
•Effect of fenugreek seeds on intravenous glucose disposition in non-insulin dependant diabetic patients. Raghuram TC et al. Phytother Res 8:83-6 (1994)
•Effect of Trigonela foenum graceum on blood glucose levels in normal and alloxan-diabetic mice. Ajabnoor MA et al. Ethnopharmacol 22:45-49 (1988)
•Therapeutic applications of Fenugreek. Basch E et al. Alt Med Rev 8(1): 20-27 (2003)

amarula

Awards
4-hydroxy effects were already knowned but the other info is very good news

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
im just gonna act what is hypoglycemic effect

what does it feel like when you have this

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
im just gonna act what is hypoglycemic effect what does it feel like when you have this
Low blood sugar, google it

Lethargy, mental confusion, light-headedness, etc.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
Basically imagine the carb supply to your brain is being cut off, or in other words the fuel that keeps your brain and body going is running on empty.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Basically imagine the carb supply to your brain is being cut off, or in other words the fuel that keeps your brain and body going is running on empty.
Ketones to the rescue!
Those first few days of transition into ketosis are HELL lol

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's why it's a major part of Glycobol

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
so would taking a waxy maize or carb source all the time intra workout post workout have the potential to cause diabetes?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
so would taking a waxy maize or carb source all the time intra workout post workout have the potential to cause diabetes?
Spiking bloodsugar/insulin never helps lol but intraworkout at least you are using the carbs and blunting insulin.

I would only be concerned if you were spiking it multiple times a day

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Next AS supplement release?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am hypoglycemic and I have used supplements with Fenugreek in them and even taken it as a stand alone supplement, but I have never noticed any ill effects or increase in hypoglycemic episodes.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am hypoglycemic and I have used supplements with Fenugreek in them and even taken it as a stand alone supplement, but I have never noticed any ill effects or increase in hypoglycemic episodes.
To get the hypoglycemic effects you wanna make sure the fenugreek is either standardized to 4-hydroxyisoleucine or uses a full saponin extract and not just fenusides

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So everyone is aware, Fenu400 uses a full saponin extract, which is what you want.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So everyone is aware, Fenu400 uses a full saponin extract, which is what you want.
^^^ which means it not only works for hypoglycemic effects but also works for testosterone boosting

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess the proper term is I am prone to hypoglycemic episodes, if I do not eat every few hours. Is that better ??

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
is that caused by eating every 3 hours?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I guess the proper term is I am prone to hypoglycemic episodes, if I do not eat every few hours. Is that better ??
This isn't normal, and you should probably ask your PCP to screen you for an insulinoma if this medical history is accurate

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have learned to manage it pretty good, I have been having these problems since high school. In the 1970's