Cal HMB vs. Free Acid HMB - Bioavailability

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So far the only thing I've seen to suggest free form HMB is better than calcium HMB is the cMAX. Which, according to this paper, doesn't occur in rats.

J. Nutr., 2014

The Relative Bioavailability of the Calcium Salt of β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate Is Greater Than That of the Free Fatty Acid Form in Rats

Shreeram, S; Johns, PW; Subramaniam, S; Ramesh, S; Vaidyanathan, V; Puthan, JK; Mandal, S; Mamidi, VK; Gelling, RW

β-Hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation has been demonstrated to enhance muscle protein synthesis and attenuate loss of muscle mass by multiple pathways. The beneficial effects of HMB have been studied by using either calcium salt, monohydrate, of HMB (CaHMB) or the free acid form (FAHMB). The present study was designed to compare the pharmacokinetics and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB administered as a liquid suspension in male Sprague-Dawley rats. CaHMB at 30, 100, and 300 mg/kg and equivalent doses of FAHMB at 24.2, 80.8, and 242 mg/kg were administered orally as a liquid suspension to male Sprague-Dawley rats. A single i.v. dose of 5 mg/kg CaHMB, corresponding to an equivalent dose of 4.04 mg/kg FAHMB, was also administered. Plasma concentrations of HMB were analyzed by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, and pharmacokinetic variables and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB were determined. After oral administration, the area under the plasma concentration time curve (AUC) from time 0 to time t (0-t) and from time 0 to infinity (0-∞) and the maximum (peak) plasma concentration (Cmax) for CaHMB were significantly greater than for FAHMB, whereas the time to reach Cmax did not differ from that of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 49%, 54%, and 27% greater than that of FAHMB for the 3 respective oral doses tested. After i.v. administration, the AUCs 0-t and 0-∞ of the calcium salt were significantly greater than those of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 80% greater than that of FAHMB. The higher relative bioavailability of CaHMB may be attributable to its low systemic clearance compared with FAHMB. This study demonstrates the enhanced relative bioavailability of CaHMB compared with FAHMB. Further studies are warranted to understand the physiologic mechanisms contributing to the differences in systemic clearance.

2014 American Society for Nutrition.
Type: Journal article
PMID: 25143371 | DOI
Full Text (full-text online)

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Notably:

" Given that the Vd of FAHMB is higher than that of CaHMB, it is conceivable that FAHMB partitions more rapidly into tissues. Whether the increased clearance of FAHMB is due to increased tissue uptake and/or oxidation remains to be demonstrated."

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you think it just takes longer for Ca to reach peak concentrations compared to FA?

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ah, so a bit lower peak and slower as well. I wonder if this can be offset by just upping the Ca dose. Then the two probably would end up costing the same though.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, so a bit lower peak and slower as well. I wonder if this can be offset by just upping the Ca dose. Then the two probably would end up costing the same though.
A JISSN review paper says:

In particular, the supplement should be taken at 1–2 grams 30–60 minutes prior to exercise if consuming HMB-FA, and 60–120 minutes prior to exercise if consuming HMB-Ca.

Also I cannot remember if that Tampa paper used equivalent amounts of HMB. Otherwise according to that graph it's an unfair comparison as calcium makes up a portion of that gram serving.

Is the free acid form for sale now?

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A JISSN review paper says:

In particular, the supplement should be taken at 1–2 grams 30–60 minutes prior to exercise if consuming HMB-FA, and 60–120 minutes prior to exercise if consuming HMB-Ca.

Also I cannot remember if that Tampa paper used equivalent amounts of HMB. Otherwise according to that graph it's an unfair comparison as calcium makes up a portion of that gram serving.

Is the free acid form for sale now?
Excellent observation!

FA is available, MT puts it out, expensive as all get out though. I've gone through 5 bottles of it (3 free, 2 out of pocket). Works very well if the training and/or diet (hypocaloric to an extent which muscle catabolism may be a concern) calls for it, otherwise it's pretty much not going to do much.

Haven't tried Ca form yet, I'm thinking I might give Ca a try and dose it at 1.5 grams 3 times a day with one dose being 2 hours preworkout. That would still come out quite a bit cheaper than buying the FA form.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The relative bioavailability of the calcium salt of β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate is greater than that of the free fatty acid form in rats.

Authors
Shreeram S1, Johns PW2, Subramaniam S3, Ramesh S4, Vaidyanathan V4, Puthan JK4, Mandal S4, Mamidi VK4, Gelling RW5.
Author information
Journal
J Nutr. 2014 Oct;144(10):1549-55. doi: 10.3945/jn.114.196527. Epub 2014 Aug 20.

Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: β-Hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation has been demonstrated to enhance muscle protein synthesis and attenuate loss of muscle mass by multiple pathways. The beneficial effects of HMB have been studied by using either the calcium salt, monohydrate, of HMB (CaHMB) or the free acid form (FAHMB).

OBJECTIVE: The present study was designed to compare the pharmacokinetics and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB administered as a liquid suspension in male Sprague-Dawley rats.

METHODS: CaHMB at 30, 100, and 300 mg/kg and equivalent doses of FAHMB at 24.2, 80.8, and 242 mg/kg were administered orally as a liquid suspension to male Sprague-Dawley rats. A single i.v. dose of 5 mg/kg CaHMB, corresponding to an equivalent dose of 4.04 mg/kg FAHMB, was also administered. Plasma concentrations of HMB were analyzed by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, and pharmacokinetic variables and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB were determined.

RESULTS: After oral administration, the area under the plasma concentration time curve (AUC) from time 0 to time t (0-t) and from time 0 to infinity (0-∞) and the maximum (peak) plasma concentration (Cmax) for CaHMB were significantly greater than for FAHMB, whereas the time to reach Cmax did not differ from that of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 49%, 54%, and 27% greater than that of FAHMB for the 3 respective oral doses tested. After i.v. administration, the AUCs 0-t and 0-∞ of the calcium salt were significantly greater than those of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 80% greater than that of FAHMB. The higher relative bioavailability of CaHMB may be attributable to its low systemic clearance compared with FAHMB.

CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates the enhanced relative bioavailability of CaHMB compared with FAHMB. Further studies are warranted to understand the physiologic mechanisms contributing to the differences in systemic clearance.

U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The relative bioavailability of the calcium salt of β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate is greater than that of the free fatty acid form in rats.

Authors
Shreeram S1, Johns PW2, Subramaniam S3, Ramesh S4, Vaidyanathan V4, Puthan JK4, Mandal S4, Mamidi VK4, Gelling RW5.
Author information
Journal
J Nutr. 2014 Oct;144(10):1549-55. doi: 10.3945/jn.114.196527. Epub 2014 Aug 20.

Affiliation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: β-Hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB) supplementation has been demonstrated to enhance muscle protein synthesis and attenuate loss of muscle mass by multiple pathways. The beneficial effects of HMB have been studied by using either the calcium salt, monohydrate, of HMB (CaHMB) or the free acid form (FAHMB).

OBJECTIVE: The present study was designed to compare the pharmacokinetics and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB administered as a liquid suspension in male Sprague-Dawley rats.

METHODS: CaHMB at 30, 100, and 300 mg/kg and equivalent doses of FAHMB at 24.2, 80.8, and 242 mg/kg were administered orally as a liquid suspension to male Sprague-Dawley rats. A single i.v. dose of 5 mg/kg CaHMB, corresponding to an equivalent dose of 4.04 mg/kg FAHMB, was also administered. Plasma concentrations of HMB were analyzed by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, and pharmacokinetic variables and relative bioavailability of the 2 forms of HMB were determined.

RESULTS: After oral administration, the area under the plasma concentration time curve (AUC) from time 0 to time t (0-t) and from time 0 to infinity (0-∞) and the maximum (peak) plasma concentration (Cmax) for CaHMB were significantly greater than for FAHMB, whereas the time to reach Cmax did not differ from that of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 49%, 54%, and 27% greater than that of FAHMB for the 3 respective oral doses tested. After i.v. administration, the AUCs 0-t and 0-∞ of the calcium salt were significantly greater than those of FAHMB. The relative bioavailability of CaHMB was 80% greater than that of FAHMB. The higher relative bioavailability of CaHMB may be attributable to its low systemic clearance compared with FAHMB.

CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates the enhanced relative bioavailability of CaHMB compared with FAHMB. Further studies are warranted to understand the physiologic mechanisms contributing to the differences in systemic clearance.
that puts a wrench in some conclusions...

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
subbed, HMB and its drastic hit or miss results (coupled w its promise) have always interested me.