New Study Shows Omega-6 Fat Arachidonic Acid Builds Muscle

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LAS VEGAS, July 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Molecular Nutrition (MN) announced today clinical study results for their X-Factor™ arachidonic acid (ARA) supplement. Under controlled conditions in the University of Tampa's Human Performance Research Lab, supplementation of ARA for eight weeks significantly increased lean body mass, muscle thickness, strength, and anaerobic power in experienced resistance-trained men. These findings were unveiled at the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) conference in Las Vegas, NV.

Arachidonic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid. It is found in many foods including eggs, beef, chicken, and fish. ARA is one of the most biologically important fatty acids; playing key roles in the immune system, memory and learning, bone mineral density, and cardiovascular health. MN CEO William Llewellyn first proposed that supplemental ARA would support skeletal muscle growth more than a decade ago. This study validates his original hypothesis, and provides very clear support for the use of ARA supplements in sports.

Thirty college-aged men were recruited for the study, and randomized into two groups. The men in the first group were given 1,500 mg of ARA daily, and the other an identical-looking placebo. All men followed a periodized resistance-training program for 8 weeks. At the end of the study, the group supplementing ARA reported significantly greater gains in lean body mass (3.6 lbs. vs. 0.2 lbs.). They also noticed an 88% greater increase in muscle thickness (.47 cm vs. .25 cm), and added significantly more strength to bench press and leg press (110 lbs. vs. 76 lbs.). Lastly, wingate peak anaerobic power was dramatically improved with ARA (78W vs. 28W), a 275% greater increase.

"This study has demonstrated in a controlled setting the type of remarkable results we've noticed with athletes and bodybuilders for many years now," said William Llewellyn. "Arachidonic acid is a key link between the mechanical stress of resistance training, and the biological repair process that comes in afterwards to facilitate protein synthesis and growth. This gives us an exceptionally effective opportunity for increasing muscle mass and strength. ARA supplementation should provide a distinct advantage for bodybuilders, and athletes in all sports where strength and power are decisive variables."

About Molecular Nutrition

Molecular Nutrition is a sports nutrition research and development company. X-Factor™ is available through many supplement retailers and distributors. For more information visit www.MNBody.com. Arachidonic acid (ARASYN™) is a patented sports nutrition ingredient. Interested companies should contact [email protected].

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full text and graphs coming Monday :)

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
good stuff. would be cool to see diet and exercise protocol.

w_llewellyn

Awards
This abstract is just part of a bigger two part study that also involves rat experiments to examine the underlying mechanisms in which ARA works. It will all be submitted as a big paper later this year, and will include all this detail. Hopefully it will be out before the year ends. They are almost done with the mechanisms stuff now.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This abstract is just part of a bigger two part study that also involves rat experiments to examine the underlying mechanisms in which ARA works. It will all be submitted as a big paper later this year, and will include all this detail. Hopefully it will be out before the year ends. They are almost done with the mechanisms stuff now.
Mechanism research would be an awesome advancement. An amazing step to further innovation into scientific fact. Not many would spend the money but as you know, if positive, the future is tremendous. Congratulations.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Very interested in this. Any preliminary hints you can give, i.e. is it on par with what we've thought so far regarding COX-2/satellite cell activation/etc?

w_llewellyn

Awards
Very interested in this. Any preliminary hints you can give, i.e. is it on par with what we've thought so far regarding COX-2/satellite cell activation/etc?
Soon, I should be able to. They are still finishing up; not all of the pathways have been checked so I don't want to get ahead of myself. I will post something when I've got it though.

w_llewellyn

Awards
Mechanism research would be an awesome advancement. An amazing step to further innovation into scientific fact. Not many would spend the money but as you know, if positive, the future is tremendous. Congratulations.
Thank you, though the credit really goes to Dr. Roberts at Auburn and Dr. Wilson at Tampa, along with their teams. They have been driving the mechanism studies; working very hard to explore as much as they can on this project. Super motivated and cool, every one of them. I cannot recommend both labs enough.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you, though the credit really goes to Dr. Roberts at Auburn and Dr. Wilson at Tampa, along with their teams. They have been driving the mechanism studies; working very hard to explore as much as they can on this project. Super motivated and cool, every one of them. I cannot recommend both labs enough.
If you don't spend the money, they can't take credit! Enjoy the process.