carnitine supplementation may have an effect on fat loss

1. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

carnitine supplementation may have an effect on fat loss

Skeletal muscle carnitine loading increases energy expenditure, modulates fuel metabolism gene networks and prevents body fat accumulation in humans.

Abstract

  Twelve weeks of daily l-carnitine and carbohydrate feeding in humans increases skeletal muscle total carnitine content, and prevents body mass accrual associated with carbohydrate feeding alone. Here we determined the influence of L-carnitine and carbohydrate feeding on energy metabolism, body fat mass and muscle expression of fuel metabolism genes. Twelve males exercised at 50% maximal oxygen consumption for 30 min once before and once after 12 weeks of twice daily feeding of 80 g carbohydrate (Control, n=6) or 1.36 g L-carnitine + 80 g carbohydrate (Carnitine, n=6). Maximal carnitine palmitolytransferase 1 (CPT1) activity remained similar in both groups over 12 weeks. However, whereas muscle total carnitine, long-chain acyl-CoA and whole-body energy expenditure did not change over 12 weeks in Control, they increased in Carnitine by 20%, 200% and 6%, respectively (P<0.05). Moreover, body mass and whole-body fat mass (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) increased over 12 weeks in Control by 1.9 and 1.8 kg, respectively (P<0.05), but did not change in Carnitine. Seventy-three of 187 genes relating to fuel metabolism were upregulated in Carnitine vs. Control after 12 weeks, with 'insulin signalling', 'peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor signalling' and 'fatty acid metabolism' as the three most enriched pathways in gene functional analysis. In conclusion, increasing muscle total carnitine in healthy humans can modulate muscle metabolism, energy expenditure and body composition over a prolonged period, which is entirely consistent with a carnitine-mediated increase in muscle long-chain acyl-group translocation via CPT1. Implications to health warrant further investigation, particularly in obese individuals who have a reduced reliance on muscle fat oxidation during low-intensity exercise.
    FT - Skeletal muscle carnitine loading increases energy expenditure, modulates fuel metabolism gene networks and prevents body fat accumulation in humans

Carnitine supplementation prevented weight gain possibly by increased fat oxidation.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.69%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I don't think it's a "may." Carnitine definitely improves fat loss...there are 3-4 pretty good studies out there right now in humans, not to mention a TON of rodent data (ok, they're not humans, but they are certainly a model, and the evidence is astounding).

The primary issue is supplementing carnitine correctly. Combining it with something insulinogenic, an insulin mimetic, and/or a choline source is probably your best bet (the insulinogenic species/GDA needs to be co-ingested; the choline can be taken at any point throughout the day).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have been recently looking into it for fatloss. Just got some injecteable carnitine that I will begin playing with. I have a thread on this on our other board
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.69%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I have been recently looking into it for fatloss. Just got some injecteable carnitine that I will begin playing with. I have a thread on this on our other board
    I don't understand the logic with injectable carnitine. It has great oral bioavailability and an awesome plasma halflife. The issue is getting it into the muscle cell, not into the bloodstream.
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I don't understand the logic with injectable carnitine. It has great oral bioavailability and an awesome plasma halflife. The issue is getting it into the muscle cell, not into the bloodstream.
    lol.. Adel asked the same exact question. Carnitine is around >20% if im not mistaken right? Yea oral carnitine + insulin (or something insulinogenic) would result in increased whole body carnitine retention. Let me see if I can dig up references to the two statements I just made to doublecheck myself
  6. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%

For fat loss is just plain l-carnitine best? What about lclt?
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.31%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This is confusing. First it is sold widely for fat loss, then we are all told based off of evidence that people who are healthy and have adequate amounts will receive no weight loss benefit, and now it is good again. Science and Mother Nature are duking it out on this one.

Anyways, in for any more possible discussion.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbolic View Post
    Definitely stack it with slin. It's otherwise worthless. In fact, the same increase in muscle carnitine levels can be reached within hours (instead of months with oral supplementation ) if you pin them together!
    The plan is carnitine + slin + choline
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%

Choline increases retention

Choline supplementation reduces urinary carnitine excretion in humans.

Abstract

Two experiments were conducted to determine the effects of supplementary choline and/or pantothenate on the carnitine and lipid status of free-living humans. Analyses of carnitine and cholesterol fractions, triacylglycerols, and creatinine were determined in serum and/or urine. In experiment 1, adults receiving 13.5 mmol choline plus 1.4 mmol pantothenate/d had a significant decline in urinary carnitine excretion and renal clearance with nonesterfied carnitine (NEC) declining the most dramatically, 84%. Additionally, serum NEC and total carnitine concentrations decreased significantly. No changes were observed in any of the serum lipids examined. In experiment 2, subjects took 0.20 mmol and 0.02 mmol/kg choline or pantothenate, respectively. Choline, but not pantothenate, supplementation significantly decreased urinary carnitine excretion, renal clearance, and fractional clearance of NEC. We conclude that supplementary choline maintained serum carnitine concentrations by conserving urinary carnitine. Moreover, these observations merit additional investigation to determine metabolic and functional consequences of choline and carnitine interactions in humans.
    and the addition of choline to carnitine may assist with fat loss

Carnitine and choline supplementation with exercise alter carnitine profiles, biochemical markers of fat metabolism and serum leptin concentration in healthy women.

Abstract
    We sought to determine the effects of supplementary choline, carnitine and a combination of the two with or without exercise on serum and urinary carnitine and biochemical markers of fatty acid oxidation in healthy humans. Nineteen women were placed in three groups: 1) placebo, choline or carnitine preloading period of 1 wk followed by 2) supplementation with choline plus carnitine during wk 2-wk 3 and 3) all groups exercised in wk 3. Although there were no changes in the placebo group, serum and urinary carnitine decreased in the choline-supplemented group during wk 1. Introduction of carnitine to the choline group restored serum and urinary carnitine. Serum and urinary carnitine increased during wk 1 in the carnitine-supplemented group and, although the introduction of choline to this group depressed serum and urinary carnitine, they remained significantly greater than control. Serum beta-hydroxybutyrate and serum as well as urinary acetylcarnitine were elevated by the supplements. A mild exercise regimen increased the concentration of serum beta-hydroxybutyrate, and serum and urinary acylcarnitines; it also decreased serum leptin concentrations in all groups. The effects of supplements were sustained until wk 2 after cessation of choline plus carnitine supplementation and exercise. We conclude that the choline-induced decrease in serum and urinary carnitine is buffered by carnitine preloading, and these supplements shift tissue partitioning of carnitine that favors fat mobilization, incomplete oxidation of fatty acids and disposal of their carbons in urine as acylcarnitines in humans.
    @Angelbolic, do you have experience with carnitine use? I have heard from others that have used it is similar to what you said (it really shines when doing cardio)
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Does anyone have the full text to see how much the actual increase in energy expenditure is? Whole-body energy expenditure increasing by 6% isn't much.

12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.89%

Definitely stack it with slin. It's otherwise worthless. In fact, the same increase in muscle carnitine levels can be reached within hours (instead of months with oral supplementation ) if you pin them together!
    I have to agree with this, having taken ALCAR orally for a solid year, at a good dose, without noticing a meaningful difference.

JJ, will you be injecting AiCAR? This is what I've heard great things about. I believe several on the other board have experimented with it, most notably Ras.

Look forward to hearing of your experiences and will be following, i.e., sub'd. You running a log here? I just started one, FWIW.

I always welcome your fine contributions.
    "The Iron never lies to you."~Henry Rollins
    "People have to get away from the dogma that it's all free weights or all machines. They can have sex. You can do both."~Dave Tate
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.69%

I've tried several carnitine forms in isolation and in multi-ingredient formulas [ie. SuperPump Max] but never really noticed anything from it.

Been wanting to do Greenhaff's protocol for a very long time, but it's just not practical for me. Too expensive [almost 50 bucks/month for some damn carnitine] and I'd have to ingest it twice a day with 80g of quick carbs or a carb/protein mixture. No thanks, Jeff.

It's definitely intriguing research though. Potentially the biggest breakthrough in sports supplements since creatine IMHO.
    The magnitude of effect will be greatest in those who endurance train, as that is the type of activity in which the substrate shift would be most profound.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.2%

So Coop, since you mentioned that this would be good for those who endurance train, would this not be for those, like myself, who strength trains?
  15. Pro Virili Parte
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.08%

Carnitine supplementation is still beneficial
  16. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.69%

Quote Originally Posted by cbsharpe View Post
    So Coop, since you mentioned that this would be good for those who endurance train, would this not be for those, like myself, who strength trains?
    It works for anyone. The studies shows it increases calories burnt at rest, which is a reflection of the fact that b-oxidation is always occuring. I was simply stating that the magnitude of this particular pathway is amplified during endurance training and/or prolonged fasting
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.2%

Oh, okay...gotcha coop! Thanks!

Similar Forum Threads