Cordyceps while on cycle

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
I've seen a few articles that suggest Cordyceps can be used on cycle like Hcg. I'll try and post up the link once I find them again any thoughts.

Cordyceps sinensis works like hCG

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://science.naturalnews.com/2008/2466789_Effect_of_Cordyceps_militaris_supplementation_on_sperm_production_sperm_motility.html[/FONT]

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
No, cordyceps won't work like HCG. Hell, there isn't even data substantiating its endurance boosting effects (to the contrary, actually). But it is an excellent immune system booster

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
What about the claims in first link that suggest that it can boost test level. I'll admit reading research studies is a bit outside my comfort zone.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, cordyceps won't work like HCG. Hell, there isn't even data substantiating its endurance boosting effects (to the contrary, actually). But it is an excellent immune system booster
While you may be somewhat of a guru on this board,I find it somewhat disappointing that you respond to a post,which had an abstract showing IN VIVO research,with only a declaration whilst offering up no references for your statement.

Cordyceps has exceptional *potential* to act as an HCG mimetic,I am not outright saying or alluding that it will be do so.

It seems to have this potential effect independent of a rise in LH.

There was some viable discussion in the linked thread below.See Benson's posts for the summary.

Cordyceps and PCT

The only way to really establish if it does act as a HCG mimetic would be obtaining bloodwork before and while on an androgen cycle,from multiple individuals.

Research that I have looked at,the abstract linked in the thread linked above,paints a picture indicating it has promise as an HCG mimetic at around 4 grams a day.

As far as your other statement,you are just plain wrong.

Cordyceps has had mixed results in terms of exercise performance.Some studies note no improvement while other studies show improvement.I am wholly sure,based on the facts,that you are not able to find a single peer reviewed study indicating a decline in exercise performance.

The 2 studies I just pulled up indicate that Cordyceps did not improve endurance in resistance trained men but there was no decline in exercise performance whatsoever:

PMID:18230170
PMID:15118196

Contrary to your statement,see below for evidence that conflicts with the other 2 abstracts I found...which by the way,you didn't bother to present.

Yeah,intelligent discourse does not go very far if there is no evidence presented for one's theories.Resounding statements of "no,that doesn't work,it'll have the opposite effect" and such...well,they amount to jack balls,in terms of a quantitive assesment of data.

Note the conclusion....

Pharm Biol. 2013 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Polysaccharides from Cordyceps sinensis mycelium ameliorate exhaustive swimming exercise-induced oxidative stress.
Yan F, Wang B, Zhang Y.
Source

Department of Physical Education, University of International Business and Economics , Beijing , P.R. China and.
Abstract

Abstract Context. Cordyceps sinensis (Berk.) Sacc. (Clavicipitaceae) is a famous medicinal fungus (mushroom) in Chinese herbal medicine. Polysaccharides from Cordyceps sinensis (CSP) have been identified as active ingredients responsible for its biological activities. Although many pharmacological actions of CSP have received a great deal of attention, research in this area continues. Objective: The current study was designed to investigate the effects of CSP on exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress. Materials and methods: The mice were divided into four groups: control (C), low-dose CSP treated (LC), intermediate-dose CSP treated (IC) and high-dose CSP treated (HC). The treated groups received CSP (100, 200 and 400 mg/kg, ig), while the control group received drinking water for 28 days, followed by being forced to undergo exhaustive swimming exercise, and some biochemical parameters including superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), catalase (CAT), malondialdehyde (MDA) and 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) were measured using detection kits according to the manufacturers' instructions. Results: Compared with the C group, exhaustive swimming time was significantly prolonged in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); SOD activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); GPx activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); CAT activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the HC groups (p < 0.05); MDA and 8-OHdG levels in serum, liver and muscle were significantly lower in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05). Discussion and conclusion: The results obtained herein indicate that CSP could ameliorate exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress.

PMID:

There is an f-ton of abstracts on cordy WRT exercise performance so that noted,a bit of research before posting erroneous statements would be much appreciated.

To show both sides and to present a well informed platform for discussion,I am presenting conflicting studies.

Below are another couple abstracts noting a beneficial effect on endurance.

I could go on with more...namely that cordyceps has been shown to improve metabolic syndrome...it activates AMPK thus has exercise mimetic properties....I'll provide abstracts supporting abstracts for these 2 statements,if asked.

Lastly,I will add that the studies showing a lack of a signifigant effect on exercise performance,all showed low end dosing of cordyceps.For its endocrine effects,we would want 4 grams a day,around 400% the amount used in the abstracts I saw noting a lack of exercise improvement.

So at 4 grams a day,based on the peer reviewed research,it is hardly over reaching to think that cordy would likely have a beneficial effect on exercise performance,not to mention a positive effect on metabolic syndrome.Hell,these two positives are merely additional benefits for the reason I am interested in cordyceps....which is its' very distinct potential to act as an HCG mimetic.

Pharm Biol. 2013 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Polysaccharides from Cordyceps sinensis mycelium ameliorate exhaustive swimming exercise-induced oxidative stress.
Yan F, Wang B, Zhang Y.
Source

Department of Physical Education, University of International Business and Economics , Beijing , P.R. China and.
Abstract

Abstract Context. Cordyceps sinensis (Berk.) Sacc. (Clavicipitaceae) is a famous medicinal fungus (mushroom) in Chinese herbal medicine. Polysaccharides from Cordyceps sinensis (CSP) have been identified as active ingredients responsible for its biological activities. Although many pharmacological actions of CSP have received a great deal of attention, research in this area continues. Objective: The current study was designed to investigate the effects of CSP on exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress. Materials and methods: The mice were divided into four groups: control (C), low-dose CSP treated (LC), intermediate-dose CSP treated (IC) and high-dose CSP treated (HC). The treated groups received CSP (100, 200 and 400 mg/kg, ig), while the control group received drinking water for 28 days, followed by being forced to undergo exhaustive swimming exercise, and some biochemical parameters including superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), catalase (CAT), malondialdehyde (MDA) and 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) were measured using detection kits according to the manufacturers' instructions. Results: Compared with the C group, exhaustive swimming time was significantly prolonged in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); SOD activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); GPx activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05); CAT activities in serum, liver and muscle were significantly higher in the HC groups (p < 0.05); MDA and 8-OHdG levels in serum, liver and muscle were significantly lower in the LC, IC and HC groups (p < 0.05). Discussion and conclusion: The results obtained herein indicate that CSP could ameliorate exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress.

PMID:

Cordyceps sinensis Increases Hypoxia Tolerance by Inducing Heme Oxygenase-1 and Metallothionein via Nrf2 Activation in Human Lung Epithelial Cells.
Singh M, Tulsawani R, Koganti P, Chauhan A, Manickam M, Misra K.
Source

Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Science, Lucknow Road, Timarpur, Delhi 110 054, India.
PMID:24063008

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
While you may be somewhat of a guru on this board,I find it somewhat disappointing that you respond to a post,which had an abstract showing IN VIVO research,with only a declaration whilst offering up no references for your statement.

Cordyceps has exceptional *potential* to act as an HCG mimetic,I am not outright saying or alluding that it will be do so.

It seems to have this potential effect independent of a rise in LH.

There was some viable discussion in the linked thread below.See Benson's posts for the summary.

Cordyceps and PCT

The only way to really establish if it does act as a HCG mimetic would be obtaining bloodwork before and while on an androgen cycle,from multiple individuals.

Research that I have looked at,the abstract linked in the thread linked above,paints a picture indicating it has promise as an HCG mimetic at around 4 grams a day.
Find it however you want to find it. I've researched this in depth years ago and even tested it.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find it however you want to find it. I've researched this in depth years ago and even tested it.
Well then,to offer up anything of merit on this subject.....kindly cite your references.If you have any.

Failing that,you are only providing conjecture and spouting baseless statements.

Apparently you expect others to blindly take your word,over empirical evidence?

Broscience,FTL.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well then,to offer up anything of merit on this subject.....kindly cite your references.If you have any.

Failing that,you are only providing conjecture and spouting baseless statements.

Apparently you expect others to blindly take your word,over empirical evidence?

Broscience,FTL.
Then don't listen. I'm flooded with my courseload + work at the moment as I've been combating a serious bacterial infection. Any advice I offer on the forums is free of charge and not part of my job. I do it out of good will, and I don't always have the time to write up a book on the topic. That you are demanding that I cite references and taking on a hostile tone doesn't make me any keener on replying. I have absolutely no vested interest in cordyceps, but I can guarantee that I'd run circles around you on the topic if the need presented itself.

Go megadose it and get HCG benefits. Go bump another post of mine from a year ago and write out 10 paragraphs, which I won't bother reading, in an attempt to start an argument. Your interest in me, while flattering, means nothing.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Hope you are feeling better soon coop

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
I think your intro into this thread lacked etiquette and was really a little uncalled for IMO. Either way though, I'd like to hear your your thoughts, backed by research/studies showing that Cordyceps also carrys no endurance benefits.

Reason I ask is because my foundation is a competitive runner and I have run cordyceps products in the past...and I can gaurantee you that the seconds to minutes that's I've shaved of my 5km,10km,21km, and 42km times were not placebo.

And if the case you are proposing is true, you should notify many large stand up companies who include Cordyceps in their products for this sole purpose and tell them to stop wasting their time too.

Thanks

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think your intro into this thread lacked etiquette and was really a little uncalled for IMO. Either way though, I'd like to hear your your thoughts, backed by research/studies showing that Cordyceps also carrys no endurance benefits.

Reason I ask is because my foundation is a competitive runner and I have run cordyceps products in the past...and I can gaurantee you that the seconds to minutes that's I've shaved of my 5km,10km,21km, and 42km times were not placebo.

And if the case you are proposing is true, you should notify many large stand up companies who include Cordyceps in their products for this sole purpose and tell them to stop wasting their time too.

Thanks
He won't post up such studies because the studies and "research" that he alludes to,do not exist.

I posted relevant studies on cordy above showing that it does,when dosed in correct amounts,confers positive endurance benefits.

I also posted other studies which showed little to no signifigant benefit towards endurance from cordyceps.

I did this in order to show both sides of this arguement.However,the studies which showed little to no improvement in endurance capacity were all inherently flawed as insufficient dosing was employed,as well as utilizing poor controls.The same study flaws are seen in the abstracts which indicate cordyceps has no benefit on optimizing male hormonal levels.

I will add that there is not a single shred of scientific proof that cordyceps has a negative effect on endurance.

In short,I posted everything that one needs to read in order to have a good understanding of the effects of cordyceps on exercise performance and its effects on testosterone while MrCooper69 did not provide any data for his rationale.

I did not bother to dignify MrCooper69's response earlier because he simply had no ground to stand on;meaning that in scientifiic theory,one must present evidence for an assertion.

Otherwise,intelligent discussion is not in play.In such a fruitless and banal attempt at "scientific theory",we are simply peddling baseless statements to be accepted as dogma and wasting time by hurling personal insults at one another.

I offer my apologies to the board if my tone seemed hostile towards Cooper but personal attacks and "hostility" had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.I was taken aback at his lack of providing anything other than ",compound X provides X results because well,yeah, I've researched it extensively in the past and don;t feel the need to justify my commentary with anything of substance.

"Helpful advice",as Cooper put it above...is a laugh.I'm not denigrating any other contributions he may have put forth elsewhere,but he certainly contributed useful nothing to this thread.

Sorry but postulating one's opinion as fact and doling out "free advice" based on such is not at all helpful.

It is directly opposed and wholly counterproductive to the very idea of participating in a subforum titled "Advanced Supplement Discussion".

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I posted relevant studies on cord above showing that it does,when dosed in correct amounts,confers positive endurance benefits.

I also posted other studies which showed little to no signifigant benefit towards endurance from cordyceps....in order to show both sides of this arguement.However,these studies were inherently flawed as insufficient dosing was employed.The same study flaws are seen in the abstracts which indicate cordyceps has no benefit on optimizing male hormonal levels.

I will add that there is not a single shred of scientific proof that cordyceps has a negative effect on endurance.

In short,I posted everything that one needs to read in order to have a good understanding of the effects of cordyceps on exercise performance and its effects on testosterone while MrCooper69 did not provide any data for his rationale.

I did not bother to dignify MrCooper69's response earlier because he simply had no ground to stand on;meaning that in scientifiic theory,one must present evidence for an assertion.

Otherwise,intelligent discussion is not in play.In such a fruitless and banal attempt at "scientific theory",we are simply peddling baseless statements to be accepted as dogma and wasting time by hurling personal insults at one another.
I concede, you win

smoker145

He won't post up such studies because the studies and "research" that he alludes to,do not exist.

I posted relevant studies on cordy above showing that it does,when dosed in correct amounts,confers positive endurance benefits.

I also posted other studies which showed little to no signifigant benefit towards endurance from cordyceps.

I did this in order to show both sides of this arguement.However,the studies which showed little to no improvement in endurance capacity were all inherently flawed as insufficient dosing was employed,as well as utilizing poor controls.The same study flaws are seen in the abstracts which indicate cordyceps has no benefit on optimizing male hormonal levels.

I offer my apologies to the board if my tone seemed hostile towards Cooper but personal attacks and "hostility" had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.I was taken aback at his lack of providing anything other than ",compound X provides X results because well,yeah, I've researched it extensively in the past and don;t feel the need to justify my commentary with anything of substance.

"Helpful advice",as Cooper put it above...is a laugh.I'm not denigrating any other contributions he may have put forth elsewhere,but he certainly contributed useful nothing to this thread.

Sorry but postulating one's opinion as fact and doling out "free advice" based on such is not at all helpful.

It is directly opposed and wholly counterproductive to the very idea of participating in a subforum titled "Advanced Supplement Discussion".
Shhh... No more tears, just dreams